It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

One-pupil school suffers attendance problem

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 25 2003 @ 12:53 PM
link   
The reopening of the country's smallest school has been cancelled because its sole pupil failed to turn up for class.

Friday's Times said the six-year-old girl's parents were unhappy with a teacher hired at public expense to teach the only primary school-aged youngster on Papa Stour, one of the Shetland Islands off the northeast coast of Scotland.

Jane Puckey had been due to start teaching the girl on Tuesday, reopening a school that had been closed for the last nine months after its former teachers retired and its only other pupil moved on to secondary school.

But the girl's mother, who wishes to remain anonymous to protect her daughter's privacy, is keeping her daughter at home.

"I was not consulted about the appointment," the mother said. "I mentioned to the old teacher as far back as last September that if Ms Puckey got the job my children would not be going to school.

Despite having just one pupil, the school is well-equipped and has a secretary, three computers, a television and an art room as well as a school house with three bedrooms.

ARTICLE

This is sooo great. A one pupil school, they cancel school because she doesn't show up.

(I find it amusing)

posted on Apr, 25 2003 @ 01:45 PM
link   
OMG...That was great, at first I thought it was a joke...
We would like you all to meet our Validictorian, school president, school vice president, etc.....Welcome our only pupil.

Hey guys we all could have graduated top of our class, even if it is in elementary school.

posted on Apr, 25 2003 @ 01:58 PM
link   

I almost fell over that time. I never thought of it that way. You could get into almost any college.

join