It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Confidence in organized Religion hits all-time low

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 10:22 AM
link   
Confidence in organized religion hits all-time low

I didn't know if this was the right forum, but I figure it will come up in politics soon enough.

What do you guys think of this? I have never prescribed to any organized religion, so I don't know if I am more surprised or happy to read this.

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 10:27 AM
link   
look at that dip right after 911.
looks like that event nearly shattered religion

very interesting indeed

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 10:29 AM
link   
reply to post by jazzguy

I'd love to see the day when religion dies out completely.

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 10:32 AM
link   
reply to post by EvilSadamClone

That day may not be far off

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 10:36 AM
link   
Since the Aurora shooting, I have noticed a lot of people on FB either losing faith in 'god', and wondering where he was, or the complete opposite and saying things like "It's because Jesus has become intolerant".

Organized religion is ridiculous, IMO. And while I don't put anyone down for their belief, it just bothers me to see intelligent people basically give themselves no credit for their own achievements. The best thing I can say is that religion may give someone the will to do something, but those people need to find that will in themselves.

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 10:51 AM
link   
Good! Let's hope the trend continues. Organized religion only causes division, ignorance and war. It's about time it is stopped, they have ruled long enough. However, it's a real problem that spirituality in general is fading. It's not a good sign,

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 11:02 AM
link   
reply to post by johnnysixguns

I'm agnostic but hold no animosity towards religious and/or spiritual people as long as they don't try to convert other, forcibly push their views on others or try to take others rights away. That thins out the herd quite a bit unfortunatly. What I've said to people since my early teens is; be spiritual all you want but leave religion out of it. And I think people all over the world are starting to realize that their beloved Vatican isn't all it's cracked up to be, being the most wealthy institution in the world preaching love and held you brother while they stand idely by whyle there's genosides adn people dying from famine all over the world. It's a darn shame really.

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 11:17 AM
link   
reply to post by XLR8R

I agree. I consider myself agnostic, but at the same time I consider myself spiritual. There are plenty of times I find myself looking up and saying "WTF?". But I also know that whatever it is I am referencing in those situations is not Jesus, a Christian god, or anything along those lines. A lot of times I think its just an extension of myself that I am projecting outwards.

I do know what you mean by 'thinning the herd'. I have met very few Christians who didn't feel the need to 'witness' to me when they find out my view point, and then tell me about where I am going to end up because I don't believe in their invisible man in the sky. But the Christians I have met who are not like that, and allow someone to have their own beliefs, they are some of the best people I have ever met.

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 11:19 AM
link   
reply to post by johnnysixguns

Those "good" people you know are one divine whisper away from murdering people for the glory of thier imaginary friend.

It happens all the time... good fortune brings out the best in idiots... and the opposite hold true aswell.

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 11:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Wertdagf

Well, since you don't personally know them, I wouldn't say you're as qualified to judge as I am. I am agnostic, and try not to judge people just based on their beliefs, only their actions. Those Christians I referred to who are the same way mirror that quality. So by that line of thinking, I could also be a whisper away from a rampage. But I know I'm not.

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 11:32 AM
link   
I'm not surprised.

The church is becoming less and less relevant. Partly because of scandals and their inaction in attempting to solve the problem, partly because the church is simply no longer providing all it use to and is no longer the "center" or "pillar" of any community except for religious extremists.

Another reason is the non-sensical stance most churches take on social issues that don't concern them like same sex marriage, abortion and host of other things they should just shut up about. Jesus never would have opened his mouth about it to begin with other than say I disagree, but do as you please.

IMO there's also the fact that science is quickly explaining a lot of things that were unexplainable and that religion can't seem to justify with their beliefs in tact.

~Tenth

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 11:41 AM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

I couldn't help but notice this line you said

Jesus never would have opened his mouth about it to begin with other than say I disagree, but do as you please.

I think many Christians need to take that Christ-like stance. It would do them a lot of good and keep them from appearing to be nuts.

But really, not just Christians. Everyone should take that stance.

new topics

top topics

join