It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Justice Department Investigating Pa. Voter ID Law

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 09:56 AM
link   
This is not a shocker by any means, personally I don't see anything wrong with requiring a photo ID before you get a ballot, seems like a no brainer. How difficult is it to obtain one in PA?

Here in Va, you just go to the DMV fill out a form provide the necessary documentation and you can have one mailed to you within 30 days.

Va Licensing requirements PDF

cbsnews.com

The Justice Department has asked the state of Pennsylvania to hand over information and databases important to determining if the state's new voter photo ID requirement is discriminatory.
Pennsylvania is one of a dozen states that have passed new laws requiring photo identification to cast a vote. The Justice Department is requiring the state to prove that the law does not violate Section 2 of the Voting Rights Act, which prohibits voting requirements that would disproportionately impact minorities.

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 10:13 AM
link   
reply to post by JacKatMtn

This is nothing more than Chicago style, mob mentality intimidation tactics by the DOJ.

Anyone who is a *legal* voter should have no problem with a voter ID requirement. I'm tired of runaway elections, spending countless tax dollars to recount, and investigate each and every little cry of foul. It needs to end now. If everyone who votes must show voter ID's to prevent voter fraud...so be it....

Des

edit on 24-7-2012 by Destinyone because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 10:15 AM
link   

I live in PA and have always shown my DL to vote! Now it's bad????
hmmmmm

You are correct as to it being easy to get a photo ID! You go to the ID center, tell them you need one to vote and it is absolutely FREE!!

It amazes me how people find this a big issue, when we are required to have an ID to purchase certain things and don't forget, get pulled over by the police without an ID and now you have big problems!

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 10:19 AM
link   
reply to post by seeker1963

Well you are better off than VA, here it will cost you $10..

All it takes is a little time, some documentation, a few bucks, and some personal responsibility to get the necessary photo id.. is that asking too much?

I thought we wanted all the votes to be legit? This helps to try and reach that goal you would think..

Politics.. :shk:

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 10:25 AM
link   

Jack, I seriously doubt any other administration would be using the big stick of the DOJ/Holder, in attempts to beat down any State, that would dare to touch the current voter base required to keep the current bunch of crooks in the White House.

Of course we need to implement a system of one legal vote per person. But, he who would be King, doesn't want that to happen.

Des

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 03:41 PM
link   

This is my first time posting here, so please forgive me if I do anything wrong.

While it may be easy to get a photo ID for a lot of people, it's not so easy for some of us. I live in Pennsylvania and I've voted in every presidential election since 1968. Now all of a sudden, a photo ID is required. I am disabled; my driver's license is expired and it's not very easy for me to get around. Going to the DMV is not an every day occurrence for me; it involves a lot.

In my opinion and in lot of other people's opinions too, this is a ploy by the Republicans to disenfranchise minority voters from going to the polls. There is no reason whatsoever to have this law in Pennsylvania as we have never had any voter fraud here.

Despite all of the obstacles presented to me by this law, I will be voting in November. They can't take that away from me. It is my duty as an American citizen to vote for the leader of our country. Thanks for listening.

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 05:21 PM
link   

The one thing I don't understand is, those law's don't really apply to Pennsylvania. Or rather the DOJ doesn't have over-site rights like it does with Southern States. What the DOJ is doing is illegal. They have no authority in this matter at all. If any citizen of the Commonwealth feels this law is violating their rights they can sue first in State Court, then later(or at the same time) in the Federal Court system, but the DOJ has zero over site rights or abilities and is breaking the law by intervening if they try.

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 06:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by LanaG

This is my first time posting here, so please forgive me if I do anything wrong.

While it may be easy to get a photo ID for a lot of people, it's not so easy for some of us. I live in Pennsylvania and I've voted in every presidential election since 1968. Now all of a sudden, a photo ID is required. I am disabled; my driver's license is expired and it's not very easy for me to get around. Going to the DMV is not an every day occurrence for me; it involves a lot.

In my opinion and in lot of other people's opinions too, this is a ploy by the Republicans to disenfranchise minority voters from going to the polls. There is no reason whatsoever to have this law in Pennsylvania as we have never had any voter fraud here.

Despite all of the obstacles presented to me by this law, I will be voting in November. They can't take that away from me. It is my duty as an American citizen to vote for the leader of our country. Thanks for listening.

I don't think your from PA to start off with, something about your reply seems like typical manufactured leftist garbage. It is easy to get an ID or Licence in Pennsylvania. If you can't make it, arrange for a Veterans or Senior Citizen group to take you. And if the DMV's hours are not to your liking(sometimes the registration/info desk is closed and the picture place is open) do like what I did, GO TO A NOTARY OFFICE!! Pay the extra bucks to get them to file it with Harrisburg, and take the form they give you to the Photo center! If you can get off your arse and arrange to vote you can get off your arse and get to the DMV!

Heck I wanna know how you get:
A) Check Cashed
B)Med's if any
C) Medical Appointments

Seriously, the only person who could be against this law, is someone with a vested interest in rigging elections.

Because this law is only targeting people who aren't legally eligible to vote. It isn't a poll tax, nor does it discriminate against anyone, as it is unreasonable not to have a State ID in today's society. Because cases of people having genuine problems with getting a state ID are so far and few in-between I would contact the State Attorney General's Office for help(if your being truthful), as I am sure they will know how to help you. Because the point of the Voting ID Law isn't to harass eligible voters, but to keep people who aren't eligible from voting.

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 06:42 PM
link   

Sounds so simple doesn't it. It is not. 10% of PA voters have no picture ID. Many of them do not have access to the needed documentation without paying hundreds of dollars in costs getting old records.

The simple fact is the law is about voting rights, THE central, foundational right as an American. Even in the recent court hearings on this last week the State of PA admitted they have NO evidence of the existence of ANY state voter fraud. The PA law, like the new laws and restrictions in 18 other states have been put in to place for ONE reason -- to deprive the rights of millions of voters they think are Democrat-leaning. That's a fact that is not even debatable. Even a GOP state senator from PA is on record as saying in a speech the now that they have passe the new voting restrictions, Romney is a sure thing in PA.

The modern GOP is scum and history will record this period of the GOP as a blight on our nation.

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 06:46 PM
link   

Thanks for posting...and for your refusal to give in to the fascists who are trying their best to deprive you and 900,000 others from PA of their right to vote. Sadly, as of my reading, you've only received 2 stars, which is a poor reflection on the ethics of some of us.

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 02:20 PM
link   

I am disabled; my driver's license is expired and it's not very easy for me to get around. Going to the DMV is not an every day occurrence for me; it involves a lot.

How are you going to get to the voting station?

Use that method to get to the DMV.

/TOA

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 09:06 PM
link   
reply to post by korathin

Just exactly what part of it is illegal to make you pay for any part of voting do you not get? This includes paying for the documentation and research fees required to obtain a valid photo ID.

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 04:26 AM
link   

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 04:28 AM
link   

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 08:03 AM
link   

UM, what are you smoking?

Why would DOJ have rights over southern states and not northern??

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 08:07 AM
link   
I am really surprised that ATSers are supporting a barrier to vote.

Why should people have to prove they have a right to vote?

BTW, 20% of seniors don't carry an ID. That is why it is considered a minority oppression.
edit on 10-8-2012 by nixie_nox because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 08:11 AM
link   

So you went straight for the illegal issue. AS I said, 20% of seniors don't have a driver's license. Why should someone who has voted for decades, suddenly have to prove themselves?

Not to mention it is expensive. Missouri passed a vote ID law, now issuing them and checking them is costing the state $20 million dollars.

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 08:12 AM
link   
As a Pennsylvania voter, I know they already had checks and balances in place before Voter ID to prevent fraud.

The timing of this is curious. Curious, indeed.

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 08:16 AM
link   

So you are advocating that in the US, people should have to jump through hoops to vote?

And to further prove your ignorance, the cost and time spent at the dmv varies on state, In my state, it is expensive and usually a 3 hour trip, minimum.

So let me ask you again, why are you advocating that people have to jump through hoops, and pay money, to vote?

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 08:24 AM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

Some consider it a barrier to vote. I consider it the barest minimums to simply show you are who you claim to be.

Voting is the most serious and powerful thing (Which isn't saying much these days) a citizen does. Photo ID is required to do almost anything and these days? Well, the stories are pretty common to show jail is what generally awaits someone who ventures out without one, in most areas. I saw the one message from the person who actually IS in a situation where it's a problem.

However, the illegal ..CRIMINAL.. community of people from other nations is estimated between 12 Million and 20 Million. That's many million beyond what I call every reason to take such a common sense measure. Photo ID? TOO much? Really??

Medicaid/Care at the state level offers transportation for medical purposes. Voting is at least as important. I'd be willing to even see public transportation offered, free for both the getting of a State ID and the ride to the Polling Place. That's perfectly fair. Having ONE criminal alien vote..is NOT.

Barriers to those who aren't legal to vote? Yeah... I'm 100% ALL for them....and then everything possible to make sure Americans get every way around whatever little trouble those measures create.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join