It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Former State Senator Claims Colorado Shooting Victims Lacked Courage To Stop Gunman

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 09:48 AM
link   
I understand what the guy was trying to say.
But it's a bit insensitive to say the least.

I was a little shocked that no one tried to stop the guy also.
But I understand that they just wanted to get away.

Though the alleged gunman at the theater shooting last Friday was armed to the teeth, able to fire off 60 rounds in a minute, and dressed fully in bulletproof gear, former Arizona State Senator Russell Pearce thinks one of the people in the theater should have been able to take him down.

In a Facebook post that has since been deleted, Pearce criticized the people in the theater for a lack of courage and for not being armed, saying that if they had been, they could have saved lives. “All that was needed is one Courages/Brave [sic] man prepared mentally or otherwise to stop this it could have been done,”

and this from the same guy to author the anti immigrant bill.

edit on 24-7-2012 by grey580 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 10:19 AM
link   
reply to post by grey580

Hear here!!
It seems I agree with the senator.
It is sad it seems the order of the day for all in the theatre was to throw the baby and drive home and wait for the wife's call...
One dedicated soldier is all it would have took.

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 10:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by g146541
reply to post by grey580

Hear here!!
It seems I agree with the senator.
It is sad it seems the order of the day for all in the theatre was to throw the baby and drive home and wait for the wife's call...
One dedicated soldier is all it would have took.

NO! You are wrong. He is wrong. Deny ignorance. Be rite!

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 12:14 PM
link   
These words are directly taken from Andres Beivik`s testiomony about his slaying of 69 people:

Many of his victims were 'completely paralysed' and stood 'totally still' as he fired the shots that ended their lives.

'This is something they never show on TV,' he added. 'It was very strange.'

Hind-sight is a wonderful thing.

If a madman points a gun at you from close range most people will soil themselves.
The odds of someone who is fully trained AND fully experienced AND armed sitting in that movie theatre were miniscule.

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 12:25 PM
link   
I agree with this guy as well. This is where our country is now, we have nothing but girly men and wimps. Alas we have created this with all the bull# that we teach our children. Men are no longer empowered but emasculated.

Someone should have had the courage to stand up, risk their life and/or well being to save as many people as possible. Yet if we speak these things we are cold, heartless, and a plethora of other demeaning terms. The truth often times hurts.

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 12:42 PM
link   
I seem to remember reading about a couple of victims who gave their lives to save others. That's not courage? I think in such a chaotic situation, you just act - you don't really have time to think. And for the vast majrity - who were not armed - that action would be to duck or run. How in the world could you, if you were a distance away from the shooter, even get to him to try to stop it? There are people all over the floor, in their seats...it's difficult to get out of a crowed theater seat in the best of times, let alone in this situation. Plus, most people purposely don't bring weapons into public venues these days as many search purses and send you through metal detectors. I'm in Atlanta, and in the past month, I've been subjected to searches 1) airport 2) botanical gardens concert 3) aquarium 4) Coke Museum Besides, most of the audience were kids and adults were probably more concerned with the safety of the youth about them than they were trying to figure out how to get to a shooter across a crowded room.

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 05:09 PM
link   
Dear Mr. Pearce, Once words leave one's lips, they cannot be grasped with the mouth to take them back in. There is no bullet, once let out, that can return to the chamber.

You talk like someone I know who has never served in the military, never had a gun pointed at them, been shot at by more than a BB, or had a family member killed or wounded by gunfire, yet, to prove their toughness, they would say something like you said. Interesting thing, though, outside of your military service being in the Guard in Arizona and not in Viet Nam, you actually have had the other things happen to you. Which makes me wonder why you would use your words to assault the very same innocent people who were assaulted by the gunman.

None of those movie goers should be called cowards. Somehow, maybe, you talked before you knew the situation, and wanted to tell people that in today's America the only way to be secure is to carry a gun and use it. Stand your ground?

But the situation in that movie theatre, sir, was as close to warfare as they, or you, would ever be in, unless they or you had been in battle. The movie goers that night did not set out to be in a battle. The only people watching that movie capable of defense would have been a soldier, trained to kill on a battlefield. (And even then there is the reality of friendly fire.)

As another poster wrote

Originally posted by Ranong
The odds of someone who is fully trained AND fully experienced AND armed sitting in that movie theatre were miniscule.

Maybe you want to see America turn into a state of constant warfare, each citizen trained and ready to do battle, against not a foreign enemy but each other. In that case, your words made sense, as cowards flee the field of battle.

I would hope, Mr. Pearce, that instead of becoming a police or military state to protect us from ourselves, we would find a different way. In your world, America would no longer be the land of the free, home of the brave.

Think, and choose your words well. Those good people do not deserve to be called cowards.

Sincerely, desert
edit on 24-7-2012 by desert because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 07:25 PM
link   
If you were in a theatre , the last thing you expect is a crazy gunman. In such a chaotic envirement where people are being killed, yelling and screaming and running around, it is share instict to flee or hide. Many lives have been lost by people playing the hero. It's not like you have time to think of a plan of action.

top topics

join