It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.N. Commission Calls for Legalizing Prostitution Worldwide

page: 21
<< 18  19  20    22  23  24 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 04:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by tothetenthpower
Where are the records that indicate this as being fact? As far as I understand it, that sort of recorded history would have only began with civilization.

We've been "civilized" for thousands of years, I hardly call that modern.

We've been so-called civilised for about 8,000 years, 10 at the outside, and then only some of us. There are still one or two indigenous tribes that remain untouched by civilisations, and even so, we have been humans for much, much longer. Either way, studies of such tribes, going back as far back as Herodotus if you like, show no evidence of commoditised sex in those groups until they were touched by civilisation.

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 04:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Biliverdin

Thanks for the info. I don't know why that would be honestly, what about civilization brought sex trade with it?

We as society have decided that there is room for sex workers. It's not going to go away because it didn't exist before and long after our civilization is dead and gone, there will be sex workers.

Our only option now is to deal with it. To make it safe for those who wish to do it, not create an entire underclass of criminals and a black market that makes billions off the bodies of the unwilling.

~Tenth

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 04:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jean Paul Zodeaux
Most men I know, myself included, want sex several times throughout the day every day, 7 days a week, every week out of the month, 13 months a year.

It seems by your post that sex is the sole inclination that a man wants in a relationship. Sadly this is true a lot of the time(mostly the young get this wrong) BUT the physical comes, or should, from intimacy with ones partner. Not the other way around. As to the topic, rape is about power and domination, not sex. Prostitution doesn't factor into the equation. That's a different beast altogether.

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 04:52 PM
link   

I've supported very thoroughly, but you are hung up on the difference between 8000 years of programming versus a biological instinct. Seeing as how we can not run a biological scientific experiment here on ATS, and even if we did run such an experiment, you could still say it was just evolutionary programming instead of "hard-wiring." There really is no discernible difference, and as it pertains to the topic at hand, it is irrelavent, because whether it is a choice, or an instinct doesn't matter, there is market for prostitution either way.

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 04:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by SibylofErythrae

Originally posted by TheReclaimer
reply to post by SibylofErythrae

So now the frail, physical body = the eternal soul? I don't understand why some people are so defensive about their bodies. Like if its some holy vessel that must remain pure and untouched. Literally, you are a bag of meat. Living and aware, yes. But still a bag of meat. This goes for everyone. And being penetrated for money doesn't mean you lose your "soul".

I didn't say you lose your soul.

You don't understand why people might be defensive about putting other's body parts inside themselves.

Really?

And that's why I advocate a prostitution that is between two consenting adults. There would be no need to be defensive if a woman knows she is offering herself in exchange for money. The way you describe it, it sounds like rape.

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 04:56 PM
link   
I have been around "for a while"' I have also had the good fortune to travel extensively at certain times in my life. And I have been married to the same woman for 24 years.

It has been my experience that the one true sexual norm for this entire planet is the simple fact that those who are against voluntary commercial sex or feel that they need to regulate other adult's sexual practices are those who use sex to control others.

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 04:57 PM
link   
post removed because the user has no concept of manners

Click here for more information.

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 05:00 PM
link   

So now the frail, physical body = the eternal soul? I don't understand why some people are so defensive about their bodies. Like if its some holy vessel that must remain pure and untouched. Literally, you are a bag of meat. Living and aware, yes. But still a bag of meat. This goes for everyone. And being penetrated for money doesn't mean you lose your "soul".

I didn't say you lose your soul.

You don't understand why people might be defensive about putting other's body parts inside themselves.

Really?

And that's why I advocate a prostitution that is between two consenting adults. There would be no need to be defensive if a woman knows she is offering herself in exchange for money. The way you describe it, it sounds like rape.

You present it as if it were a campaign slogan. A chicken in every pot! A prostitute for every man!

Selling sex has consequences. Those consquences should be fully informed. The advocates of the fabulousness of prostitution would like to present it as if there are no consequences. This is a blatant lie.

There are both societal and personal consequences to it, and if you aren't willing to deal with that then you aren't nearly as advanced as you think you are.

There are consequences to society as pimp. There are consequences to normalization of commodification of sex.

You'll notice that the societies touting this without an honest look at it are breeding themselves out. You'll notice that none of the ones that exist in history stayed. There might be a reason for this. That reason might be that it is destructive for you to embrace these sorts of ideas with little to no attention to the consequences to individuals and society.

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 05:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jean Paul Zodeaux, you are not at all concerned with any greater good, only concerned with denigrating men.

It occcurs to me I would like to address this specifically.

In reality, I'm trying to stop some stupid men from trying to force through a half baked idea about commodification of sex that will lead to most men being completely unable to secure themselves any tail at all.

Dorks.

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 05:11 PM
link   

Please list these consequences and show me how countries like the Netherlands who have had legal prostitution for years are somehow behind the curve?

They are actually ahead of most countries that have illegalized the practice. It's a societal norm in that country, yet no actual consequences seem to be present.

So please enlighten me with some facts about how this will occur if prostitution is legalized...

~Tenth

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 05:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid

Most men I know, myself included, want sex several times throughout the day every day, 7 days a week, every week out of the month, 13 months a year.

It seems by your post that sex is the sole inclination that a man wants in a relationship. Sadly this is true a lot of the time(mostly the young get this wrong) BUT the physical comes, or should, from intimacy with ones partner. Not the other way around. As to the topic, rape is about power and domination, not sex. Prostitution doesn't factor into the equation. That's a different beast altogether.

What it seems since you pressed quote instead of reply and then edited out all but the last sentence of a paragraph is that you want it to seem as my post is making the claim you are now contending. This is the full paragraph you willfully edited to alter my argument:

Most men I know, myself included, everything they do, they do for the love of woman. Not just sex with that woman, but for the true blue love of that woman. Men I know, including myself, bust their assess off so they can provide for that woman as best they can, as is expected of them. Men I know, including myself, make all kinds of efforts to understand the raging hormones rushing through a woman at any given moment that even they don't understand and will attempt all sorts of appeasements and acknowledgments just to keep them happy. Men I know, myself included, have resigned themselves to the fact that sex is up to them and we are only lucky if they favor us with their sexual desires. Most men I know, myself included, want sex several times throughout the day every day, 7 days a week, every week out of the month, 13 months a year.

My post doesn't seem anything at all like what you seemingly and willfully edited to seem that way.

edit on 25-7-2012 by Jean Paul Zodeaux because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 05:15 PM
link   

I see what you mean, there are consequences for everything, but how exactly would things be different in a society that legalizes prostitution? Would the happily married man suddenly get the urge to visit a whorehouse? I don't claim to know all the repercussions this would bring, only that prostitutes and their clients would no longer be criminalized for doing something that affects no one negatively.

I realize you are against prostitution becoming an accepted norm, and I can see how an industry like this would become very commercialized to the point that there would be ads on TV for BJs and 3somes, etc. I wouldn't like to see prostitution becoming this widespread either, which if legalized has the risk of doing.

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 05:17 PM
link   

Get a lot of play in your efforts to stop men from doing what you want them to stop doing after calling them dorks, do you?

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 05:17 PM
link   

There are consequences to society as pimp. There are consequences to normalization of commodification of sex.

You'll notice that the societies touting this without an honest look at it are breeding themselves out. You'll notice that none of the ones that exist in history stayed. There might be a reason for this. That reason might be that it is destructive for you to embrace these sorts of ideas with little to no attention to the consequences to individuals and society.

Prostitution is NEVER going away. They call it the "oldest profession" for a reason. What to do about it then? The Ontario government has legislated that street walking will remain illegal but bawdy houses would be legal and under government supervision for disease and human trafficking. That's a good thing. Unfortunately our federal government is challenging it in court. I don't know why. They don't want to improve the lot of those in the sex trade? Like I said, it's not going away.

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 05:18 PM
link   

Thanks for the info. I don't know why that would be honestly, what about civilization brought sex trade with it?

Because sex is an effective means of controlling men. And some people's bodies, male and female, can be bought for material gain.

Hardly rocket science.

Particularly in the middle ages, most prostitutes were paid retainers by the town's councils, that way they would have more men to defend the towns. The Roman Church similarly kept brothels for the same reason. And most armies had the camp followers which were fed and watered by the unit. Ancient Greece and Rome had similar set ups. Sex is good at greasing the wheels and gaining compliance of those who may be otherwise beligerent to the state due to poor pay and conditions.

Funnily enough, most 'primitive' cultures, or the more benign ones at least, have been shown to have little or no prohibition against pre-marital sex. Only to adultery once a couple have decided to join, adultery is punishable by death usually, however this is countered by the fact that divorce is usually very easy. There is no excuse really for adultery, so it is more a punishment for deceit, this being more harmful to the group's cohesion.

One way or another, sex as a commodity is directly tied to commodity trading in general, everything has a price after all, doesn't it?

Interestly enough, I was looking at the research into the relationship between rape rates and legalising prostitution and as a by product came across this study...

There are, of course, many problems with this data. Rape is a crime that regularly goes unreported and what is considered rape in one countryís data set may not be considered rape in another countryís data set. The homicide rate also suffers from being defined differently in different countries – I have corrected for this problem to the best of my abilities by using multiple data sets. Given all of these problems, the analysis seems to support the hypothesis that the rape rate could be lowered if prostitution was more readily available. This would be accomplished in most countries by the legalization of prostitution. In the United States where prostitution is illegal, the low-end price for most prostitutes is about $200 and the monthly per capita income is $2,820. In Amsterdam, Netherlands where prostitution is legal the price is $30. If prostitution were legalized in the United States it is rational to assume that prices would resemble those in the Netherlands, this would result in a change in I of 80 and a decrease in the rape rate of 8.6 per 100,000. The population of the United States if roughly 300 million so this should result is a decrease of approximately 25,000 rapes per year.

www.independent.org...

And indeed there does seem to be a correlation, but far more interesting that is that the value of sex falls rapidly with legalisation. Rape falls due to accessibility, in theory at least, because the commodity's value is decreased, however, it would mean that the commodity would have to work longer hours and would therefore be quickly worn out, and have to retire from trading much earlier.

Anyway, I suppose it is one way to control the population, and if the population wants to be led around by the dick, who am I to argue?

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 05:18 PM
link   

Please list these consequences and show me how countries like the Netherlands who have had legal prostitution for years are somehow behind the curve?

They are actually ahead of most countries that have illegalized the practice. It's a societal norm in that country, yet no actual consequences seem to be present.

So please enlighten me with some facts about how this will occur if prostitution is legalized...

~Tenth

They are in the process of reversing some of these decisions at the moment. Why do you think that is?

The Netherlands is one of the places starting to show signs of cultural replacement imminent in a couple of generations due to the cultural fertility breakdown. The societies being imported are not so accepting of this cultural model, which means that in two generations it will be replaced with a much harsher form of illegalization and under class that is present in the culture they came from.

If you actually value a society that takes a kinder gentler approach to prostitution, you might want to get your head out of your arse.

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 05:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid

Prostitution is NEVER going away. They call it the "oldest profession" for a reason. What to do about it then? The Ontario government has legislated that street walking will remain illegal but bawdy houses would be legal and under government supervision for disease and human trafficking. That's a good thing. Unfortunately our federal government is challenging it in court. I don't know why. They don't want to improve the lot of those in the sex trade? Like I said, it's not going away.

So long as there is a market for it, it won't go away.

Which is really not the same thing as saying it will never go away if you think about it.

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 05:24 PM
link   

Get a lot of play in your efforts to stop men from doing what you want them to stop doing after calling them dorks, do you?

I'm not calling all men dorks.

I'm calling the ones who are so self-centered in pursuit of their wants that they are willing to ignore real problems and long term solutions dorks.

Yes, if you are arguing against someone who is trying to make sure that you don't create a society of lost boys and the likely revolutionary destruction that will occur because of it. You are arguing against someone who is trying to stop you dummies from doing something immensely stupid, because most of you dorks can't afford the sex you're getting right now if it is commodified. That you don't recognize that is Deeply Dorky.

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 05:25 PM
link   

Again please SHOW Me this information..

You've provided nothing put opinion. You make declarative statements and then when asked to provide proof of them, you deflect with other information.

I ask you again, please SHOW me the problems that come along with legalization of prostitution, show me how the Netherlands are reversing this cultural norm in their society.

Show me where it states that the current generation is not on par with the current laws in that nation.

I don't want more conjecture, I want cold hard facts to support your argument.

~Tenth

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 05:26 PM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

You haven't supported your arguments in the slightest, merely spouted more and more fallacies and excuses. Not to mention your own personal fantasies. Of course prostitution will always exist as long as there are those who see sex as being an economic transaction. Doesn't mean that there is any justification for it, beyond 'want' and certainly there is no biological basis for arguing that it fulfills any 'need'.

new topics

top topics

<< 18  19  20    22  23  24 >>

join