It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Taste of Solar Maximum

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 08:32 AM
link   
Check out these banging images and video of the auroras caused by the massive solar projection from the Sun. These have been much more intense and widespread than normal due to the coming of the Solar Maximum. The video is 4 minutes long and provided by NASA.

According to NASA it is expected to become even more intense over the next year with the peaking of the maximum.

Forecasters say Solar Max is due in the year 2013. When it arrives, the peak of 11-year sunspot cycle will bring more solar flares, more coronal mass ejections, more geomagnetic storms and more auroras than we have experienced in quite some time. On the weekend of July 14, 2012, sky watchers around the world got a taste of things to come.

www.nasa.gov...

Further pictures provided by a member are available here.

www.abovetopsecret.com...
edit on 24-7-2012 by Peruvianmonk because: Added info

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 08:38 AM
link   
Im so ready for the action I can barley contain myself!

Seriously, we may indeed see and feel the effects on a level like never before.... Or so Im hoping.

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 08:44 AM
link   
reply to post by MamaJ

I'm hoping they might even come south enough for them to be visible on the regular in the UK. There have been quite a few reported in the last month as shown here in Aurora watch from Lancaster University in the UK.

aurorawatch.lancs.ac.uk...

Here is an image of one beauty.

www.flickr.com...

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 08:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Peruvianmonk

I too would love it if we could see that magic light show here in the UK! It would make up for the potential power outages at least

S+F

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 09:12 AM
link   
reply to post by TechUnique

Check out that Aurora Watchers Flicker site and the pictures sent in.

www.flickr.com...

It might be worth getting out in the countryside on one of these warm clear evenings, might get lucky.

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 09:47 PM
link   

I've been lucky enough to see an aurora. My mother lives out in the middle of the country in Michigan. I'll certainly be looking up every time I make the trip to visit her, as I'm not far away, only forty miles or so.

S&F

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 09:40 AM
link   
reply to post by CirqueDeTruth

Ahhh very lucky. The US and Canada see to have an abundance of aurora sightings every year, and even more so this one.

People should take the opportunity to view one if they have it, could make your day and give someone a very humbling experience to remember how very small (yet still significant) their place in the universe is.

posted on Jul, 28 2012 @ 12:28 PM
link   

I can't wait-I have been thinking of forking out a massive bag of notes for a hydrogen-alpha solar filter for my telescope.
A decent solar max would help me justify the cost.

H-Alpha sun picture:

Costs more than my scope though,almost double.
I

posted on Jul, 28 2012 @ 12:28 PM
link   

I can't wait-I have been thinking of forking out a massive bag of notes for a hydrogen-alpha solar filter for my telescope.
A decent solar max would help me justify the cost.

H-Alpha sun picture:

Costs more than my scope though,almost double.
I will get one at some point though.

edit on 28/7/2012 by Silcone Synapse because: extra words added

posted on Jul, 28 2012 @ 04:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Silcone Synapse

It is time for this question when confronting such an issue.

Why not? Make's every possibly foolish decision seem just dandy.

posted on Jul, 29 2012 @ 02:02 PM
link   

Indeed. Its a tough one,I could get amazing solar pics,or 6 months worth of food and bills...
I want the H-Alpha filter,but logic tells me to wait a few months.

One day soon,I shall have it.
Not yet.

new topics

top topics

join