It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The gay agenda and why it bothers me: An analogy

page: 25
<< 22  23  24    26  27  28 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 06:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dhimmie

Originally posted by Bluesma

Originally posted by kaylaluv

How would you feel if having a smart phone was not considered "normal"? You and the few others who had smart phones were taunted, teased, made to feel like second-class citizens. You were told every day that you weren't "normal" for having a smart phone. People didn't want to hire you as soon as they realized you had a smart phone. Everyone expected you to keep your smart phone under wraps while in public, and to never take it out where someone had to see it, while the "normal" people had flip-phones, and they were allowed to take theirs out whenever they wanted. Wouldn't you get tired of that kind of treatment after a while?

Is this really what gay people live? I have never seen this. I have grown up with homosexual adults around me, then had many homosexual friends and co-workers (having been in theater and then cosmetology...), and each time what I see is nobody giving a cr°p that they are gay, but they constantly talking about it, challenging others about it, trying to provoke reaction about it. To the point that many of the ones I know don't seem to have anything else to their personality except their homosexuality and what seems to be their inability to just "get over it " and go on with enjoying life!

I guess environment matters or something.....
edit on 24-7-2012 by Bluesma because: (no reason given)

This is a good point. I have lost count of how many gay friends I purposely drifted from for the following:
1)Constantly 'probing' me as to how 'straight' I really am as my brother is gay, so must I be their eyes.
2) Touching or ridiculously heavily flirting with me which would be harassment if I did that to a women.
3) Talking non-stop about gay things, what it is like to be gay etc
4) Acting in public like a terribly exaggerated woman.
5) Acting 'gay and flirty' to my friends and making suggestive comments if they are muscled or good looking and sometimes making my friends uncomfortable with the rude gestures and comments.

I am sure other straight men (not a woman so I can;t say about women) can relate to this from time to time. I have a gay brother so hanging with his gay crew was something which happened often (and I had always known my brother was gay because he was more like a girl in action) as was them insisting of talking about having gay sex. I don't want to talk about that and if you need to be told that it is inappropriate conversation, you are too ignorant to be my friend. Simple.

If these things honestly make me a closet homo-sexual homophobic idiot.... So be it.
If you hang out with a group of gay men, they will let their guard down and be natural and have fun with one another. If you're included, they're going to have fun with you, too. If you don't like their idea of fun, you shouldn't have included yourself in their group.

Straight men talk about sex with each other all the time when they congregate, so the reality is, you're just not really down with homosexuality and judging based on that. I can't count the times I hear straight guys bragging about girls they have banged, or discuss who they want to bang. I've been asked several times "what girls would I bang if I were gay" or a buddy will point out a girl and say "would you do her if you were straight". But I don't complain about that or look down on all straight men, because there is NOTHING bad in what they are doing, and because that would be IGNORANT. Why you somehow can't seem to grasp that, I don't know.

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 06:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by crazydaysandnights
You shouldn't use examples of con artists to base a view point regarding an entire community on.

My viewpoint does not regard an entire community. As I clearly specified, there may be many variable involved in the experiences and contexts of different individuals.

BTW, LGBT people are victims of discrimination, the great majority of us. I've been to enough states (I haven't traveled outside of the US) to realize that, discrimination happens everywhere. Some places less than others, but there is homophobia in every single city in every single country in the world.

That's a wide statement for someone who has never been out of the US. But you have thr right to your opinion.

I know a few gays here that disagree with you. Some very good friends of mine have said they really don't appreciate the aggressive zealots because it starts conflict where there isn't any normally. They get along fine in their village, everyone knows they are gay and that is not an issue. Until someone foriegn comes along acting pre-emptively offensive, hostile, and provocative (because they expect predjudice) and that starts to make the neighbors feel aggressed and start to have a negative attitude in defense.

You expect opposition and act as though you are going to get it, you stir it and create it.
But I live in Europe. It is possible things vary greatly from one culture to the next.

But what I was refering to in my example you commented on wasn't con men, just young people. Young people want and strive for attention, that is normal, they will attach to whatever works. We provide them with ways of getting that through sensationalizing certain ideas.

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 06:11 PM
link   

How would you feel if having a smart phone was not considered "normal"? You and the few others who had smart phones were taunted, teased, made to feel like second-class citizens. You were told every day that you weren't "normal" for having a smart phone. People didn't want to hire you as soon as they realized you had a smart phone. Everyone expected you to keep your smart phone under wraps while in public, and to never take it out where someone had to see it, while the "normal" people had flip-phones, and they were allowed to take theirs out whenever they wanted. Wouldn't you get tired of that kind of treatment after a while?

Is this really what gay people live? I have never seen this. I have grown up with homosexual adults around me, then had many homosexual friends and co-workers (having been in theater and then cosmetology...), and each time what I see is nobody giving a cr°p that they are gay, but they constantly talking about it, challenging others about it, trying to provoke reaction about it. To the point that many of the ones I know don't seem to have anything else to their personality except their homosexuality and what seems to be their inability to just "get over it " and go on with enjoying life!

This is a good point. I have lost count of how many gay friends I purposely drifted from for the following:
1)Constantly 'probing' me as to how 'straight' I really am as my brother is gay, so must I be their eyes.
2) Touching or ridiculously heavily flirting with me which would be harassment if I did that to a women.
5) Acting 'gay and flirty' to my friends and making suggestive comments if they are muscled or good looking and sometimes making my friends uncomfortable with the rude gestures and comments.

I am sure other straight men (not a woman so I can;t say about women) can relate to this from time to time. I have a gay brother so hanging with his gay crew was something which happened often (and I had always known my brother was gay because he was more like a girl in action) as was them insisting of talking about having gay sex. I don't want to talk about that and if you need to be told that it is inappropriate conversation, you are too ignorant to be my friend. Simple.

If these things honestly make me a closet homo-sexual homophobic idiot.... So be it.
If you hang out with a group of gay men, they will let their guard down and be natural and have fun with one another. If you're included, they're going to have fun with you, too. If you don't like their idea of fun, you shouldn't have included yourself in their group.

Straight men talk about sex with each other all the time when they congregate, so the reality is, you're just not really down with homosexuality and judging based on that. I can't count the times I hear straight guys bragging about girls they have banged, or discuss who they want to bang. I've been asked several times "what girls would I bang if I were gay" or a buddy will point out a girl and say "would you do her if you were straight". But I don't complain about that or look down on all straight men, because there is NOTHING bad in what they are doing, and because that would be IGNORANT. Why you somehow can't seem to grasp that, I don't know.

But when me and straight men were with gay men, we didn't feel the need to talk about shagging women. It would have been inappropriate to do so. Also, you wouldn't dream of saying that to a woman. "Well if you hang out with straight men there are going to have some fun with you and if you don't like it you shouldn't have included yourself in their company." You sound like an extremist to me.

edit on 24-7-2012 by Dhimmie because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 06:18 PM
link   

But when me and straight men were with gay men, we didn't feel the need to talk about shagging women. It would have been inappropriate to do so. Also, you wouldn't dream of saying that to a woman. "Well if you hang out with straight men there are going to have some fun with you and if you don't like it you shouldn't have included yourself in their company." You sound like an extremist to me.
You're in our territory. Just like when straight guys hang and talk about women, when we hang, we may or may not talk about men. You wouldn't talk about shagging women because you're not with straight guys where that would get any attention.

Women aren't men, but when women hang out with one another, they talk about hot guys. It's the same thing. It's their territory. So, basically, it's like, you hang out with a group of gays, they're gonna be gay. If you can't handle that, don't hang out with groups of gay men. Problem solved. Don't have to be an extremist to understand this, it's common sense.

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 06:22 PM
link   

You're in our territory. Just like when straight guys hang and talk about women, when we hang, we may or may not talk about men. You wouldn't talk about shagging women because you're not with straight guys where that would get any attention.

Women aren't men, but when women hang out with one another, they talk about hot guys. It's the same thing. It's their territory. So, basically, it's like, you hang out with a group of gays, they're gonna be gay. If you can't handle that, don't hang out with groups of gay men. Problem solved. Don't have to be an extremist to understand this, it's common sense.

And wehat territory is that? Enlighten me?
So as I said, that along with:

Has left me with a bad taste in the mouth, according to you it is my fault but as I said;

you wouldn't dream of saying that to a woman. "Well if you hang out with straight men there are going to have some fun with you and if you don't like it you shouldn't have included yourself in their company."

Listen to yourself!!! ' if you don't like it you shouldn't have included yourself in their company' By your reasoning pedophilia talk is OK, if you don't like pedo talk, you shouldn't have included yourself in their company, same for racists and all sorts!!!!
Have some brains people and work out what is appropriate and what isn't based on the company you are in... Especially if you have invited the company to hang out as friends. That is what society is, people live in peace and don't do things to upset people..... But according you, it is the victims fault if they do upset people!!!!

edit on 24-7-2012 by Dhimmie because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 06:29 PM
link   

You shouldn't use examples of con artists to base a view point regarding an entire community on.

My viewpoint does not regard an entire community. As I clearly specified, there may be many variable involved in the experiences and contexts of different individuals.

BTW, LGBT people are victims of discrimination, the great majority of us. I've been to enough states (I haven't traveled outside of the US) to realize that, discrimination happens everywhere. Some places less than others, but there is homophobia in every single city in every single country in the world.
I know a few gays here that disagree with you. Some very good friends of mine have said they really don't appreciate the aggressive zealots because it starts conflict where there isn't any normally. They get along fine in their village, everyone knows they are gay and that is not an issue. Until someone foriegn comes along acting pre-emptively offensive, hostile, and provocative (because they expect predjudice) and that starts to make the neighbors feel aggressed and start to have a negative attitude in defense.

You expect opposition and act as though you are going to get it, you stir it and create it.
But I live in Europe. It is possible things vary greatly from one culture to the next.

But what I was refering to in my example you commented on wasn't con men, just young people. Young people want and strive for attention, that is normal, they will attach to whatever works. We provide them with ways of getting that through sensationalizing certain ideas.
Well, your friends are lucky, I have to say, that they feel comfortable to be themselves without issue. You live in France, France is a totally different world than the US so I couldn't really imagine how things work there on a day to day level, at least not as much as an actually Frenchman/Frenchwoman. In America, the gay community tends to hit things head on. France probably suffers a bit less homophobia, therefore there is less need to come out and be counted and stand up against discrimination. In that case, I will agree, that location does matter, more regarding general mentality and culture and how conflict is handled.

Another thing that has to be discussed, though, is whether these friends you discuss are actually openly gay, and if so, how much. It's easier to live as gay if you're basically only trying to blend in and make no fuss, but actually *being* gay is a much different proposition. Such as, holding hands with your partner, maybe giving them a loving peck on the cheek, or going with your partner to public functions. A lot of people who say they are OK with gay people are only OK as long as "gayness" isn't something they actually have to associate with in their everyday lives.

You're right that some young people will do whatever they see as personally beneficial to gain attention they seek. But that doesn't necessarily mean that victimization of the LGBT community is overblown or sensationalized. It's very real. Just because some kids haven't experienced discrimination and therefore don't take it seriously doesn't mean it doesn't happen on a severe scale.

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 06:33 PM
link   

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 06:45 PM
link   
I have no problem saying I hate cats.

I really, really hate cats.

And I hate the cat agenda, where everyone says you have to like them and you have to laugh at their stupid photos of their cats on facebook.

I don't like cats in a bush. I don't like cats even as mush. I don't like them on a boat. I don't like them with a goat.

I hate cats. Just sayin.
(this is literal btw)

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 06:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by crazydaysandnightsBeing gay is an "in" thing? Could have fooled me. It's just becoming more visible. More kids are experimenting out of curiosity. That doesn't make being gay an "in" thing whatsoever.

Since gay people exist in mainstream society, you're going to see them/it in your every day life. Sorry, but that's the reality of the situation. Gay people exist, and you can't do anything about it. You'll have to get over it, and whether you want to accept homosexuality or not, you do have to accept the facts of life. Instead of fighting it, just get over your biases and move on.

um yeah, its the "in" thing these days. every show needs a gay person. everyone needs to tolerate gay marriage. everyone needs to accept you or be a bigot. half of nyc now is gay, so yeah id say its the in thing.

get over it? had you read what i said, youd know i have nothing against gay people. it is what it is. i think you need to get over the fact that not everyone is going to love you.

biases? because i feel i dont need to see it and be reminded of it everywhere i go?

its like homosexuality has become a religion. everyone has to love it or be cast into hell.
edit on 24-7-2012 by mikeone718 because: italics

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 06:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by TWISTEDWORDS
it bothers me as well. I mean if you want to stick your pole in a sewage pipe, that's your disgusting business. Leave everyone else out of it. That's what I don't get about gays, they expect everyone else to be a part of their sick deranged mentality.

this cracked me up.

thanks

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 06:50 PM
link   

it bothers me as well. I mean if you want to stick your pole in a sewage pipe, that's your disgusting business. Leave everyone else out of it. That's what I don't get about gays, they expect everyone else to be a part of their sick deranged mentality.
Leave everyone else out of it? Are hordes of gay men propositioning you for anal sex? Gays expect everyone to.............be gay? Hmmm. I don't think I'd like that very much. Too much competition!

The mouth is the dirtiest part of the body, but I certainly never hear homophobes railing against oral. Nor heterosexual anal sex, although it's anal sex, the same way two men engage in anal copulation..................are having anal sex.

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 06:54 PM
link   

Leave everyone else out of it? Are hordes of gay men propositioning you for anal sex? Gays expect everyone to.............be gay? Hmmm. I don't think I'd like that very much. Too much competition!

The mouth is the dirtiest part of the body, but I certainly never hear homophobes railing against oral. Nor heterosexual anal sex, although it's anal sex, the same way two men engage in anal copulation..................are having anal sex.

you are mad

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 06:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Dhimmie

No, he's logical. He's pointing out yet another flaw in your "analogy", and yet another reason that your fears and beliefs are incorrect.

It's your own fault you refuse to accept it, on a simple matter of taste, no less.

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 06:58 PM
link   
no, he's mad.

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 07:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by mikeone718

Originally posted by crazydaysandnightsBeing gay is an "in" thing? Could have fooled me. It's just becoming more visible. More kids are experimenting out of curiosity. That doesn't make being gay an "in" thing whatsoever.

Since gay people exist in mainstream society, you're going to see them/it in your every day life. Sorry, but that's the reality of the situation. Gay people exist, and you can't do anything about it. You'll have to get over it, and whether you want to accept homosexuality or not, you do have to accept the facts of life. Instead of fighting it, just get over your biases and move on.

um yeah, its the "in" thing these days. every show needs a gay person. everyone needs to tolerate gay marriage. everyone needs to accept you or be a bigot. half of nyc now is gay, so yeah id say its the in thing.

get over it? had you read what i said, youd know i have nothing against gay people. it is what it is. i think you need to get over the fact that not everyone is going to love you.

biases? because i feel i dont need to see it and be reminded of it everywhere i go?

its like homosexuality has become a religion. everyone has to love it or be cast into hell.
edit on 24-7-2012 by mikeone718 because: italics
Gay being an in thing would entail people labeling themselves as gay for perks. Instead, gay men in particular are gay bashed on a regular basis in most non-gay metropolitan cities, and LGBT teens are commit suicide at alarming rates due to anti-gay discrimination they have to face both in school and at home, so no, being gay is not an in thing, and especially boys, do not want to be associated with any gay connection. It's a lot more popular on a surface level, more kids are experimenting as I said, none of that has to do with gay being an in thing than actually homosexuality becoming a more open topic and there being more avenues in life where people can live as gay, associate with gay folk, talk to other likeminded people on the PC. A lot of media, and most of Hollywood, are pro-gay, and yes, there is an increase in gay visibility on TV and in society. But that doesn't mean gay is an in thing, it means that there may be an increase in acceptance, and it also means there may be more LGBT people who don't have the same levels of fear in regards to coming out. But when DOMA is still on the books, and gay/lesbian couples cannot marry, we do not live in a society where being gay is an in thing.

I don't need you to love me, so what you need to realize is, you're whining simply doesn't register with me. You have that self-important aura as if your opinion truly matters, but at the end of it all, it doesn't.

If everywhere you go and everything you see is filled to the brim with gays here, gays there, gays everywhere, that's probably because your mind is fixated on gayness. Maybe that's something you should address personally.

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 07:03 PM
link   

you are mad
No. Just pointing out the obvious lack of logic in the "homosexuality is gross because it's anal sex" argument. I have nothing to be mad about. Homophobes don't make me mad. Homophobes like you are simply pathetic, and nothing said by homophobes really registers for me.

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 07:06 PM
link   
well, i give up. you cant push your ideas on me.

not all of us are going to love you or accept you. its life. its how it is. its how it is for everyone in the us.

people have issues with illegal aliens, muslims, christians, dogs, cats, nerds, blacks (i can keep going). homosexuality is just the least acceptable.

deal with it.

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 07:06 PM
link   

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 07:12 PM
link   
reply to post by mikeone718

Your priorities are clearly a stellar example of morality in today's world.

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 07:15 PM
link   

Just look at the posters on this thread! How many posters have said, "it's not normal". In most states of the U.S., gays aren't allowed to get married, so they don't get the same benefits as everyone else. There are some orphanages that refuse to let gays adopt kids. The Boy Scouts of America won't allow gay kids to join, or gay parents to be a troop leader. Many gay kids have committed suicide from the relentless bullying they have had to endure. And, I mean, cruel, CRUEL bullying - not just "give me your lunch money or I'll punch you" bullying.

new topics

top topics

<< 22  23  24    26  27  28 >>

join