It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Olympics Coca cola float ''Your future flames''

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 06:28 AM
link   
I have searched for this, and haven't found it, but with everyone talking about dodgy posters and such, I thought I'd bring this one to your attention:

My daughter wanted to see the olympic torch when it came here. Her father and I are not interested, but her school was making a big deal about it, they let all the kids have half day off, and were going to do topics and discussion on it, so it was one of those, optional-but-if-you-don't-take-her-she-wont-be-included type deals.. so we went.

When the coca cola float went past, my daughter read the slogan on the side and wrinkled her nose, and asked me why it said ''Your future IN flames'' I didn't catch it myself, but both her and her dad thought that's what they saw.

Anyway, I found a picture of the float, and it doesn't say that. It says:
"Great Britain Celebrate Your Future Flames"

Why?
Once the torch has gone past, why would there be future flames?
What flames in the future should we be looking out for?

Now some posters have been popping up on bus stops in the area, and I'll try to get a picture and post here, but they say something along the lines of ''England beat'' but I didn't notice any particular reference to music, and don't see how ''England beat'' has any particular reference to the Olympics either (Unless they're forecasting our chances of winning any medals
)

Now I'm not actually saying ''OMG FLAMES AT THE OLYMPICS" I just find the way these posters are written, awkward sounding. Coca cola being the massive all-singing all-dancing brand it is, would probably have smoother tag-lines than that surely? That in itself I find suspect...

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 06:42 AM
link   
almost prophetic going by the amount of times they've had to relight it.the slogan is weird and a bit creepy though.my nieces were the same,brainwashed into thinking seeing the flame was the be all and end all.sooner the Olympics is over the better.
edit on 24/7/2012 by glen200376 because: dodgy android predictive keyboard again!

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 06:48 AM
link   
2012. Olympics. What could go wrong?

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 06:51 AM
link   
reply to post by glen200376

Absolutely. Whats with that???
My daughters school went crazy over it. Olympic themed sports day, Olympic events at other schools where children were 'chosen' to represent their country (school) at other schools in the area, Olympic T-shirt making project, Olympic stories, ''Striving for the Olympics'' where the kids were trying out to see who could compete in the next games, Olympic artwork, Olympic flag making, Olympic newsletter, where they had to write a piece for a special newsletter going out. Olympic torch bearing practice and discussion.
That's all before the torch even got here... after that it got worse..

Even my little niece (three years old) had to make a special olympics flag in order to be admitted to a special olympics disco. It had to feature the flames in some way, and there were prizes given out for the best ones.

I'm so glad they are on summer holidays now. I intend to avoid it like the plague.

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 07:04 AM
link   
Just chucking this out there. Could the slogan not simply mean "support your future flame" as in support the future Olympics?

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 07:13 AM
link   
Rather than speculate I thought it was easiest to just see what Coca-Cola UK has to say about it. After all, it's their truck and their "campaign".

And on their website, they have a page that explains it:

The Olympic Flame is coming to the UK in 2012, and for the eighth time, Coca‑Cola will be a Presenting Partner of the Olympic Torch Relay. The route will stretch the entire length of the country, starting at Land’s End on May 19th 2012, and finishing in the Olympic Stadium in London on July 27th 2012. We’re using our involvement to shine a light on young people across the UK, and celebrate the great things they get up to every day.

Through our Future Flames campaign, we’ll be giving young people who are using their passions to inspire others the once-in-a-lifetime chance to carry the Olympic Torch next year.

The source page at Coca-Cola UK is here.

So what it means is that when the CC company started this campaign last year, they announced they were looking to support young people who were doing great things in their communities, by giving them a chance to carry the Olympic Flame. These young people are the nation's future shining lights -- future flames.

And it seems that aside from any conspiracy/symbolism angles we'd like to consider, that's pretty much all there is to it.

Mike

edit on 24/7/12 by JustMike because: tpyo tpoy typo...

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 08:26 AM
link   
reply to post by JustMike

Mystery solved! Thanks. I should have looked harder.
Will be glad when this thing is over though..

new topics

top topics

join