It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Worshipful Master's Hat

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 06:01 AM
link   
What is the symbolism of the hat worn by the Worshipful Master? I know that (ideally?) a formal top hat is worn, but in some areas a fedora or cowboy hat is worn..

Is the hat merely to distinguish and differentiate the WM from other officers, or is there some other symbolism involved?

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 09:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Zhenyghi

In my lodge the WM is allowed to wear a hat of his choosing. Traditionally it was a black top hat and may still be worn in some jurisdictions.

And actually, come to think of it, I don't know if it's ever been explained to me why the WM wears a hat.

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 01:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Zhenyghi

Good question. My Grand Lodge lawbook currently reads

Master Presiding “Covered.”
The ancient custom of the Master presiding “covered” must be complied with, except that the Brother presiding at Masonic funerals, memorial services, graveside services, or during open meetings of the Lodge, may at his discretion, preside over such services and ceremonies uncovered. To be “covered” shall mean the wearing of a hat, and a hat is described as a head covering with a shaped crown and a full circle brim. No person other than the presiding Master shall wear any type of head covering, except for required religious head coverings, while in Lodge or at other Masonic ceremonies.

edit on 2012.7.24 by JoshNorton because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 01:45 PM
link   
Here's my look at it:

Crowns, mitres, headdresses, hats, and so on have traditionally been symbols of authority or sovereignty. Head coverings can also be seen as symbols of victory such as we see with the wreath or garland.

SOURCE

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 03:10 PM
link   
Greetings All.

In my Jurisdiction, Grand Lodge , BC and Yukon, no Masters wear any kind of head gear at all. I have never been to a lodge where that happens here. I am in Vancouver BC, and we do have a sister lodge just South of the line, whom we visit quite often, and the Black Top Hat is the beanie of choice there. Dont really know why either.

F&F

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 08:48 PM
link   
Hmmm... Legend Has It:
In the ninth degree, according to Pinocchio's experience(s)... "The Master Elect Of Nine" refered to nine calamities.

These Are It: "THINGS WHICH AUGHT NOT TO BE DONE!"
1) Bully! (Hence the "Cuffs" worn by Fraternity = Heavy Handed Strong Arm...)
2) Coward! (Hence the "Sash" worn by Fraternity = Wound That Never Heals...)
3) Liar! (Hence the "Knots" worn by Fraternity = Caught In A Web Of Lies And Deciet...)
4) Thief! (Hence the "Gloves" worn by Fraternity = Caught Red Handed...)
5) Joker! (Hence the "Chain" worn by Fraternity = Keep Your Pet On A Short Leash...)
6) Drunkard! (Hence the "Vest" worn by Fraternity = Baby Needs A Bib...) (a.k.a. Junkie)
7) Proud! (Hence the "Badges" worn by Fraternity = Neat Trick, Here's Your Treat...)
8) Whore! (Hence the "Suit" worn by Fraternity = Here Comes A John...)
9) Beggar! (Hence the "Hat" worn by Fraternity = Pull A Rabbit Out Of A Hat...)

posted on Jul, 29 2012 @ 04:08 PM
link   
The central mythos in Blue Lodge (or Craft) Masonry relates to the building of King Solomon's Temple. Since the Worshipful Master represents King Solomon, he wears a hat or crown, as any king might.

It is also why a Worshipful Master traditionally presides while seated while everyone who addresses the lodge otherwise should stand.

new topics

top topics

join