It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Want to defend yourself? Get a taser!

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 08:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Wongbeedman

I get what you are trying to say op, but this is such a tricky subject. I could attack you say with nothing but my fists and beat you to death, you might not use that gun you have thinking 'oh it's just a fist fight, it's not right to use deadly force with my pistol', but a person can be just as lethal unarmed as when they are armed.

I think that many people do choose the lethal option no matter what attack it is, even if it's a single punch because they fear that they will be knocked out and beaten further etc, or have their gun turned on them even.

Here in the UK I used to carry a knuckleduster at certain times when I was younger for when I was walking home late or if I went somewhere new or dangerous and I felt much safer doing so, chances are if I kept carrying it on me to this day I may have inflicted excessive harm on someone who didn't deserve it. Now I just keep fit and box, but I have to admit there are times when I do fear being attacked with a knife or even gun and wish that I was able to carry a handgun like in the states, but then again guns + our drinking culture here in the UK would = disaster imo.

Sorry I'm rambling I know. This argument is a tough one. but I guess that everyone has the right to defend themselves from an aggressor, we should all take responsibility to learn to use our bodies as weapons if we are also prepared to pack firearms so that they arn't reached for everytime any incident occurs with even the mildest form of violence. The world is a violent place and death should be a very rare result of any form of violence.

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 09:20 PM
link   
just think if guns were never invented, we'd have some awesome crossbows right now

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 09:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wongbeedman
reply to post by zroth

Yes i am aware people kill people in many different ways, most things can be used to kill a person.
Guns are made for killing people, unless someones coming at you with a gun (at which point what on earth makes you think youll shoot him first) why would you ever need it? Self defence wise its overkill.
Im just gonna give up, americans are the most ignorant people you can find, im sorry for doubting all of your infinite wisdom. We all know americas the greatest country in the world.....

I ask one question and you go straight to childish illogical rhetoric but we're ignorant?

Ignorance is reacting to a problem by taking something away from someone.

For example, when a lion kills someone we should not remove all of the lions.

The reality is there are guns on the planet and killing people is only one usage scenario. I go the Heath-row airport and see dual clip assault rifles on the soldiers.

Why do so many people talk about taking away civilian rights but they are never so passionate about disarming the military murder squads?

Now go the corner and count to ten. You are on a time-out for your tantrum.

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 09:55 PM
link   

At what point to use deadly force you ask?
When you or your loved ones lives are in danger, of course.

I wouldnt bring a taser to a gunfight anymore than I would a knife.
Its a shame here in Australia we dont have a constitution that gives us the right to defend ourselves with greater force than is used against us.
I think you are really a troll....
You should be pleased if you are allowed a gun to defend yourself.

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 09:58 PM
link   

Heavy clothing doesn't work well with a taser , bullets do . How many shots does a taser have ? What about the other guys attacking you ? If he has killing you and your family in mind , maybe you could ask them pretty please don't rape my wife and daughter and kill us . Yes that will work ! Or maybe you can wait onthe Police if you have time to call him . Bear spray would be much better and have much more reach . Then you could make suer the wind is right so you don't get it in the face . Then catch your attacker so he won't fall and hit his poor little head . Lets be concerned about his safety .

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 10:54 PM
link   

reply to post by HangTheTraitors

"Yea, an innocent family defending themselves and their home with a little taser to counter a group of young thugs or gang members all having guns"
You being serious?! I understand protecting your family from burglars but a group of young thugs? Thats laughable, i suppose you think all teenagers are pit smoking hooded layabouts and the coloured are criminals?

Not sure why that seems like an unlikely event to take place... Armed young thugs do home invasions all the time, and this guy was prepared for it!

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 11:21 PM
link   

Here comes the anger...

No anger, just real world logic.

Taser's have a place for non-lethal defense but what do you do while your carrying your taser and you get confronted by two or more assailants? Shoot one and hope the others run away?

Not a very likely scenario.

One guy with a knife and a taser may be an option. I will keep my .45.
edit on 24-7-2012 by mwood because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 03:02 AM
link   
reply to post by biggmoneyme

www.laser-gadgets.com...
Or more of these bad boys, just instantly blind your attackers

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 05:04 AM
link   
reply to post by DocHolidaze

I say something you dont like and i must be trolling? Notice how minus a few its only americans who agree with you.
Look at yourselves, what the hell happened to deny ignorance?
When someone says something that challenges your views and you dont like it and you say im just wrong. That is ignorance you fool

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 12:15 PM
link   

By your own words here "I'd like to see a gun kill someone without a person behind it"

...that is exactly right....its not the gun...it takes a person to fire it.

Thanks for agreeing!!

PS You made me laugh!

edit on 06-10-2010 by mysterioustranger because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 12:33 PM
link   
I notice no one commented on the fact that i said tasers are illegal here.... So does that mean i dont get to carry anything? Infacr why on earth would tasers be banned?

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 12:33 PM
link   
reply to post by mysterioustranger

Why cant people agree that its both? Obviously he couldve committed the crime without guns (it probably wouldnt have been so devastating). But judging by how it was done and the equipment he had? I'd say he has a thing for deadly weapons (mainly guns). Now before you jump on me im not saying he did it simply because he likes guns.
Why cant you guys see the bigger picture? Guns have been the norm for so long in america. So obviously that effects what people think about them. People say they have them for protection or self defense. I think the problem is people thinking guns are "cool". If they hadnt been the norm and such a big part of your society for so long then less people would obsess over them. Maybe even not feel the need to carry them for protection.
America needs to stop trying to be the big man and take some lessons from the rest of the world. Now, dont go chucking statistics at me say "ohh but gun crimes so much worse here and theyre illegal!"
That means nothing, there are too many contributing factors involved, mainly hard drugs.
It wouldnt suprise me at all if alot of the guns found in places all over the world where theyre illegal were actually purchased nice and easily from the states.

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 12:37 PM
link   
reply to post by phroziac

Tasers kill a ridiculously small amount of people. Guns? What are they for again? Dont say defence. Its not like the first guns ever built were self defence. They were made simply for KILLING the enemy. Because its quick and easy with a gun, it being quick and easy shouldnt make it a defense tool

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 12:48 PM
link   

Tasers kill a ridiculously small amount of people. Guns? What are they for again? Dont say defence. Its not like the first guns ever built were self defence. They were made simply for KILLING the enemy. Because its quick and easy with a gun, it being quick and easy shouldnt make it a defense tool

Did you read my post? I will go to jail if i even get caught owning a taser, let alone using it. But i can shoot a man in defense legally.

Also, this country wouldnt exist without guns? And why is it that countries that havr gun control alwayd start banning other weapons, like england?

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 12:52 PM
link   

If you are too squeamish to use a gun you should just submit to the perps demands . Where are you from Canada ?

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 01:04 PM
link   

I cannot disagree with anything you said here. You said it well. I think the point is simply that the gun...itself...cannot kill anyone...just as a car cant....nor a stick of dynamite for that matter. These things take an "operator" to utilize them. Its people using and misusing, guns, knives, cars and sticks of dynamite...cause and effect...that cause harm...not the instruments.

Its just like your own home. There are many things in it that can poison, kill, harm, maim and even blow up...but they usually wont by themselves

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 01:05 PM
link   

You pro gun people are literally incapable of understanding where im coming from.

Again you are using history and the fact its been the norm for so long to justify it.
Is religion right because its been around for so long? No
Is having 5 wives right because people were doing it a long time ago? No
Is racism right because once upon a time we were all seperated anyway? No

Im not canadian (althought me and im sure alot of people outside america would choose if they had to choose)
Im british, were not stupid
Here the vast majority of people dont feel the need to be armed.
Here the people with guns are the drug dealers and the military.
The drug dealers dont go round shooting random innocents like you love to make out, they shoot other dealers or users.

A while ago a young girl was killed as a result of crossfire between two gangs.
Now here comes the "aha youve just proved our point!"
No what difference would it make if it was a crackhead shooting at someone he just tried to mug, the victim pulled a gun, fired a few shots an killed an innocent 9 year old girl?
Guns in the hands of "non criminals" are just as reckless, were all human

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 01:07 PM
link   
reply to post by mysterioustranger

Exactly im glad you understand.
It seems it has to be one or the other for most people, people lacking common sense.

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 01:19 PM
link   

Tasers fire a projectile with wires attached .

Take a piece of light cord 2 feet long and attach it to a small weight .

Spin it in between you and the taser and it will deflect the projectile .

Honestly if you want to repel attackers get a can of Bear Mace it has very good range and high output that could easily repel a group of people

The draw back is in close quarters you will suffer a bit too ... then get out asap .

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 01:46 PM
link   

Because sometimes deadly force is necessary. JUst look at the video posted above about the man in Arizona defending himself from a home invasion by multiple attackers. No taser, pepper spray, nice words, or surrender would have saved him. Just quick action. So what if a gun can kill? If a rapist or murder or thug is killed in the act, then their death is on them, not the citizen with a gun. If a rapist does not want to be shot, then he should decide to stay home instead of seeking someone to victimize. Why all of the concern for the life of a dangerous predator?

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join