It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Our obession with self importance and is it justified?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 09:53 AM
link   
In my opinion, Solipsism isn't justified. If one thinks his mind is all that is certain to exist, he risks dismissing every other living being as non-existent. It would be better, in some sort of variation of the Pascal-wager, to at least pretend that everyone else is real, out of respect for the possibility that they are real. Even though one is not certain, it would be better to go through life thinking they were real just in case.

There's various evidence based on just perceiving the world around you that tells you that you aren't the only being walking the earth. It's fairly obvious, but we cannot be certain, because to some people, their senses are so deceiving that they cannot trust them whatsoever.

We have to ponder these subjects: Yes senses are deceiving, but for how long? Is the mind not a sensual organ and thus not as deceptive as everything else? Why don't I apply my Cartesian doubt to my own Cartesian doubt? Could the very idea of solipsism itself be deceptive? etc.

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 01:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheSubversiveOne
Is the mind not a sensual organ and thus not as deceptive as everything else?

the mind is very often referred to as separate from the physical brain, although scientists have yet to make a clear distinction between the two

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 05:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by wigsplit

the mind is very often referred to as separate from the physical brain, although scientists have yet to make a clear distinction between the two

Correct and scientists are yet to pinpoint the difference between what makes us concious and unconcious. They see activity in the brain but they do not understand what is truely happening.

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 05:42 PM
link   

Mistakenly in my opinion.

I think its because the “mind” also consists of stimulus from the whole body, not just the brain. In order to feel, one needs skin, to see one needs eyes, to hear? ears, to be alive/conscious? lungs, heart, nervous system etc. A brain on it's own is worthless, much like an eye detached from the rest of the body cannot see. The “mind,” “consciousness,” “soul,” “spirit” or whatever you want to call it, at least in my opinion, is the entire body working in harmony.

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 09:06 PM
link   

Mistakenly in my opinion.

I think its because the “mind” also consists of stimulus from the whole body, not just the brain. In order to feel, one needs skin, to see one needs eyes, to hear? ears, to be alive/conscious? lungs, heart, nervous system etc. A brain on it's own is worthless, much like an eye detached from the rest of the body cannot see. The “mind,” “consciousness,” “soul,” “spirit” or whatever you want to call it, at least in my opinion, is the entire body working in harmony.

I agree with you for the most part. The brain is specifically a tool for interpreting a material reality through the use of sensory organs as you have pointed out (eyes, ears, skin, tongue, etc). But where I think the distinction gets foggy is when we start to discuss our ability to contemplate our own awareness. In my opinion, the mind is the part of us that knows we are aware and is able to ponder our own existence. The reason there is a blurred line is because science has not concluded how we are self aware, or why we are self aware because there is no known physical structure in the brain responsible for this experience.

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 09:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by michael1983l

Correct and scientists are yet to pinpoint the difference between what makes us concious and unconcious. They see activity in the brain but they do not understand what is truely happening.

Quite true. Studies have shown that brain activity when recalling past events, and brain activity when imagining events remain the same. Think of the implications of that.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join