It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

G4S replaced for Newcastle Olympic security

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 01:26 AM
link   

LONDON – The security firm G4S will no longer be providing protection at the Olympic stadium in Newcastle, city officials said Monday, citing concerns over the troubled company's shortfall in recruiting guards.

Thousands of British soldiers have been drafted in to fill a gap in guards after G4S acknowledged it would not be able to provide the promised numbers of security personnel.

so the week leading up to the 2012 Olympics, the security firm, G4S, is replaced at the last minute due to lack of personnel.

what does ATS think of this?

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 01:32 AM
link   
Thank you for a very interesting thread. Well I think that if they weren't exposed then they would have been still in charge. But as you know TPTB have lots of back-up plans and its now worse cos the army are now in charge. Which means more guns against the gun-less population. I hope we get back our tax payers money if G4S can't complete the contract.

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 01:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Dizrael

I live in Newcastle. I feel much happier knowing that the British Army will be providing security instead of a bunch of incompetent numpties like G4S.
When the world looks to G4S and asks why they failed to fulfil the contract i can see their excuse now "Erm well, we weren't paid enough"
Idiots
edit on 24/7/2012 by waveydavey because: Spelling

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 01:55 AM
link   
Well , for starters, the stadium in Newcastle is hardly an Olympic stadium .... its an old shoddy run down football stadium which has had to be re-named to its origonal name because it was called St James` park when it was selected for the Olympics and was re-named The Sports Direct Arena , and second - I`d love to see soldiers in the streets of Newcastle .... rounding up the geordies

G4S is the security firm that will get the "police powers" the tories keep harping on about , that`s why they are getting so much media attention lately ...... they started out in prisons and industrial estates - now they patrol the jobcentre among many other strange places .... i have never , EVER trusted G4S.

Why cant the inbred geordies see the problem with having troops "containing" your little land locked town ?

CX

link   
I can't say i'm surprised at this at all.

I do feel sorry for the people that work for G4S who DO provide a good service. They have all been tarred with the same brush and the company is totally at fault for that. I was at a public event the other day and there was a couple of G4S guys there, they were extremely professional at all times. They did have that ex-mil look about them, but nevertheless they were good.

So more troops are going to be asked to help out on top of the London lot? I'd like to think that the government will take this last favour into account when sacking them next week....especially the ones who are being dumped just a year before they qualify for their full pension.

CX.

link   
reply to post by waveydavey

And when the Army fails ......... ?
2nd

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 02:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by RockLobster
Why cant the inbred geordies see the problem with having troops "containing" your little land locked town ?

??
Idiot

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 02:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by waveydavey

??
Idiot

Seriously ........ martial law doesnt bother you ? ..... and I`M the idiot ?
second line

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 02:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by waveydavey

??
Idiot

Seriously ........ martial law doesnt bother you ? ..... and I`M the idiot ?
second line

Martial law

The army helping with security at an international event does not constitute martial law.

So yeah, seriously.

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 05:19 AM
link   
reply to post by waveydavey

And when you have troops marching the streets armed to the teeth ........ your not expecting trouble ?

You , DO , realise that as soon as ONE thing happens the whole country is under "lockdown" ...... dont you ? , i mean .... where have you been for the past 10 years ? we`ve expected this since the end of the 90`s , and the Olympic games has given them the perfect opertunity to actually make their move.

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 05:30 AM
link   
reply to post by RockLobster

Are you a disgruntled Mackem ???

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 05:44 AM
link   
reply to post by ProRipp

am i a what ?

2nd

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 06:12 AM
link   
reply to post by RockLobster

Really?

I would be surprised if the army is armed at all in its security role. You will likely see more armed police officers.
G4S are not armed, using the military is more about having the numbers. Since G4S screwed it up!
Army at security checkpoints checking bags etc will not be armed.

RE: the Mackem comment above:
Your also from the NE of England, the Geordie taunt would suggest that you ARE from Sunderland!

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 06:31 AM
link   
I feel pretty sorry for those British troops who had planned to spend some precious time with their families, before heading back out to a war zone. instead they are having to fill the gaps by this company which is not fit for purpose. G4S should be forced to pay for a holiday for all soldiers who have lost their leave.

I can appreciate people feeling safer with the British Army over the G4S "security", but it is not what they should be doing. I just find the whole thing slightly shocking, considering the security of the games should have been one if not the most important aspect to the games organisation. Seems strange it has been cocked up on such an epic scale.

top topics

join