It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

CNN States Colorado shooter had no Facebook Page, clearly making him disturbed!

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 04:37 AM
link   
reply to post by OpinionatedB

hairy chics scare me.

This batman nut on the other hand- I think he swallowed too many biochips as a kid.

Copyright trademark by me.
edit on 24-7-2012 by Common Good because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 04:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by steppenwolf86
Link at the bottom, but what a silly, silly article. I know many people without a facebook page, and of course they are normal What kind of world do we live in where if a person wants to avoid meaningless updates and so-called friends they are suddenly a mentally ill outcast? Pathetic reporting!

edition.cnn.com...
edit on 24-7-2012 by steppenwolf86 because: link

edit on 24-7-2012 by steppenwolf86 because: link

I deleted my FB page last week for the very reasons you stated.... hang on... somebody's at my door......

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 05:08 AM
link   
I have a myspace account, haven't logged into it in a long time. was talked into creating it by a few friends who then went running off to facebook so they could bug me to create an account there.
sorry media, if you want to know anything about me, you gonna have to come to ATS, since that's the only social forum that I have time to participate in!! but then, you are gonna have a wake up call when you find out just what people are thinking about the media!!!

remember when the one guy went nuts on the army base? or at least I think that was the one, we have several different pictures of the guy being shown, and one picture was of a guy that was a university teacher, or held a phd or something.....the media did their homework via internet searches and they got it all wrong!!!

well, maybe this guy wanted them to do their homework and at least get some of it right!!

the pictures of this guy in the courtroom seems to indicate that he has been drugged, or maybe in a state of "oh crap, what did I do" shock or something. kind of wondering, what would he be saying, if they didn't drug the crap out of him to the point where he is in his own little world..who would he implicate??

had to laugh the other night, on coast to coast, they mentioned that ats had a thread on that kind of predicted something like this happening, then a little while later, they had a guest on about how the internet bloggers can make up half truths and all that and the mainstream media will run with it....
ummm.....I think the guest was trying to say that we at ats are part of the problem?????????????

lazy journalists who want to do their job with quick internet searches is the problem!!

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 05:19 AM
link   
reply to post by dawnstar

I don't think he was drugged. I've looked about the same after a few nights with no sleep. I imagine he is rather nutty to boot. The adrenaline dump after committing such an atrocity would be pretty powerful. I also would hazard the boy didn't get much sleep that night.

I actually saw a young man standing on the street corner near my house with a sign that was falling asleep and looked about the same. Someone beeped, trying to get his attention to hand him some money and he didn't budge. Two beeps later he sort of snapped out of it and went and grabbed the cash.

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 05:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Common Good

I am feel very conspiratorial about the Batman Murders (my personal copyright on that!) I do not think he was a nut at all, not even a little bit. He was bought and paid for then decided he wasnt going to play ball after all. They needed every possible word out of his mouth to be discredited.

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 05:28 AM
link   
Kid was smart enough to pull it off.

The target is just off to me......

Why a theatre? Why not the people who are actually screwing you over?

..thats what I dont get about it.

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 05:30 AM
link   

If he did it, he was under mind control (hypnosis) at the time. Basically, he did not do it.

Edit:

see this post:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

and my response:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

deep thinking.
edit on 24-7-2012 by OpinionatedB because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 05:38 AM
link   
Reply to post by steppenwolf86

Ummm that article did not try to make him seem odd because he did not use social networking sites. In fact, it pointed out that other killers like Brevik were very active on them. Its just a piece about the fact he didnt have one and what it may possibly say about him. No new developments have happened so they are reaching. But they certainly are not saying hes odd based on him not having facebook.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 05:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

the thing is though, I can't imagine anyone being that nutty and able to go about his day without giving off some obvious clues, let alone being able to get to the pre-phd level!!!

wondering if he wasn't given something for his depression a month or so before this happened...

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 05:50 AM
link   

I am overseas, so I am unable to access a lot of different video stuff on certain websites. When I need an update, I check the CNN webpage. A day or two after the shooting, sure enough as many people had predicted, there was an op ed on gun control. Now this about lack of any social networking profile which seems to make him seem like some kind of dangerous outsider -- with a gun. I rarely subscribe to theories, but it seems someone is directing the media on where to take this.

One question: Most people have a semi-private FB profile where you need to be friends with them to see all of their photos and timeline. How is it that journalists are able to quickly gain access to all the information on there where you or I would be lucky to find the right person?
Also, I have read i some reports that he had a fully automatic weapon, even an AK-47. If true, this is not a gun control issue, it is a black market and crime issue. Such weapons are already banned, hell pass a new law making a full auto conversion kit more difficult to come by. This whole saga has nothing to do with gun control.

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 05:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by acmpnsfal

Ummm that article did not try to make him seem odd because he did not use social networking sites. In fact, it pointed out that other killers like Brevik were very active on them. Its just a piece about the fact he didnt have one and what it may possibly say about him. No new developments have happened so they are reaching. But they certainly are not saying hes odd based on him not having facebook.

It actually does say or imply that a person his age not on a social networking site or having any other presence on the internet is unusual. While the experts in the article offer counter points and advise against a rush to judgement, the tone of the article overall seems to be that this is something abnormal, and why would someone do this, rather than questioning why someone would rack up 20,000 friends but know none of them personally.
They then jump to conclusions as to what this says about the man himself.

Thanks for nitpicking, feel like contributing?

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 06:06 AM
link   
reply to post by dawnstar

I believe his is a common age for the onset of schizophrenia. I have a very close friend, one that I've known since I was a baby that snapped and landed himself in jail. He was transferred to a mental health hospital and was not even close to the same guy while there.

I wouldn't be surprised to learn that CO shooter (I never can remember his name, or perhaps just don't want to type it) was prescribed something that sent him over the edge. Without getting into details and attempting to remain observant to the T&C there were some narcotics involved with my friends mental decline.

My friend is doing much better, but that lapse of a few weeks is going to be with him for a long time.

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 06:10 AM
link   
reply to post by steppenwolf86

You are correct in your assessment. When any (shall I say good) writer writes, they write with the intention to evoke an emotion. Your personal views and biases will come across to the reader, and the article becomes slanted toward that emotion you hold, irregardless of how much 'balance' you add.

The intention is toward that bias. I can write an article that appears unbiased, and I guarentee you will walk away with a strong leaning or at the very least an open mind toward the view I wanted you to have.

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 06:22 AM
link   
A CNN article making out like there's something wrong with you if you're not on facebook? Well erm, maybe nothing. It might in fact imply that even though he's clearly got serious problems there was actually something right with him too for not having an account, you bought and paid for muppets.

I really hope Facebook turns out like Myspace and a shadow of what it used to be. Twitter too, even though I use it, I just think we should use several different sites and move on often, not get stuck on one, because even Twitter is clearly rigged now too.

How can we complain that they're centralizing power in certain corporations when we're making it so easy for them by using the same sites? Youtube, Facebook, Twitter, Myspace, Tumblr and a few others. Would be great if we could start mixing things up more. Even if they track everything we do online it's pointless making these corporations into the beasts they're becoming. Google and the NSA are allowed to keep quiet their relationship with eachother yet youtube has no competition, most people still use google often I'd guess, and the same with g-mail and several other products.

Yahoo have even had an ex-Google high up put onto their staff recently haven't they? The usual small group controlling so much, but we're helping them pull it off.
edit on 24-7-2012 by robhines because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 06:37 AM
link   

Lol, the tone of the article does not make him seem odd. It says 81 percent of people his age use social networking and pursuing higher education increases the likelihood of using them. Thats innocent. The closest it gets to calling him odd is saying he could have been socially isolating himself.

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 06:57 AM
link   
Isn't it funny how teenagers are accused of being socially detached because they always have their phones in their hands, but an alleged mass murderer is socially detached because he doesn't?

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 07:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by acmpnsfal

Lol, the tone of the article does not make him seem odd. It says 81 percent of people his age use social networking and pursuing higher education increases the likelihood of using them. Thats innocent. The closest it gets to calling him odd is saying he could have been socially isolating himself.

*sigh* I knew this was coming. I do not have the energy to go through it line by line, though I already did mentally when I responded to your first post. I understand wanting to play Devils Advocate, but I am having trouble finding all the people who see it your way.

From the article:What we don't know is what caused Holmes to have such a break with reality. (Have we really confirmed he had a break with reality, even with such a well thought out plan?)

Whatever his reasons, the lack of an online presence puts Holmes squarely in the minority among his peers.

"It's not the norm for someone of this age to have such a limited presence, in any form: no blogs, no profile on a photo-sharing site and things like that,"

He too says it's impossible to nail down its significance at this point but listed a set of possibilities, from a sense of isolation to distaste for Facebook as an emblem of "the status quo" to something perhaps even more sinister.(What word choice... no social media for sinister reasons)

"He (possibly) did not want to have any reputation other than for what he was planning to do, like someone who saves himself for the big stage or a single lead role," Chamorro-Premuzic said.(A guy who shared a few beers with his neighbor the night before is suddenly isolating himself...)

"We know that social isolation can amplify the negative consequences of stress and increase the risk of developing psychopathology. Some research has shown that social isolation actually delays the positive effects of activities found to be emotionally beneficial, such as exercise. ... What we don't know is what caused Holmes to have such a break with reality."

End of article quotes(from original post, same article)

Even when the writer or experts try to point out that there is nothing wrong with NOT having a social internet presence, the reasons they come up with for not using facebook and other sites, they list extreme reasons for doing so, such as a sense of isolation, to wanting his killings to be the sole story. Nothing about how this is acceptable and normal, not to mention that it was the way the world worked 10 years ago. They call him socially isolated, but his neighbors knew him well enough to invite him for beer, and must have felt comfortable. No one who knew him has described him as depressed or having anxiety in social settings.

So how can you read that and say that are characterizing him as 100% normal when it clearly states he is part of small minority in his attitude towards social expression over the internet? The tone of the article is clearly slanted towards painting a picture of a disturbed individual.

edit on 24-7-2012 by steppenwolf86 because: copy paste problems, deleted lines rather than seeking out what i had intended to copy and paste.. lazy

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 07:19 AM
link   
IMHO the fact that Mr.Holmes did not have a Facebook account is a testimony that he's sane and smart. Now, let justice be done.

Second line.

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 07:24 AM
link   
reply to post by steppenwolf86

Well I don't have a page in facebook and never will neither my husband due to security reasons and tracking.

I guess I am "disturbed" because I feel that I have better things to do with my life than wasting them in silly chatter.

I never trusted Facebook and never will, BTW I don't even allow google to be installed in my computer.

Now as for ATS I rather spend my time and effort playing conspirator.

JAK

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 07:39 AM
link   
With the headline of the article reading "Why did Colorado shooting suspect avoid social media?" I don't think it's outrageous for anyone to infer the suggestion that not making use of some form of social media is, to a certain degree, abnormal.

The use of qualifying statements as a means of avoiding responsibility for a subsequent suggestion, statement or implication such as:

It's impossible, of course, to draw broad conclusions about his mindset based on the fact that he didn't share online. But...

is transparent and tedious.

Here's something some may find of interest, Blind Faith:

Synopsis

Imagine a world where everyone knows everything about everybody. Where 'sharing' is valued above all, and privacy is considered a dangerous perversion.

Trafford wouldn't call himself a rebel, but he's daring to be different, to stand out from the crowd. In his own small ways, he wants to push against the system. But in this world, uniformity is everything. And even tiny defiances won't go unnoticed.

Ben Elton's dark, savagely comic novel imagines a post-apocalyptic society where religious intolerance combines with a sex-obsessed, utterly egocentric culture. In this world, nakedness is modesty, independent thought subversive, and ignorance is wisdom.

A chilling vision of what's to come? Or something rather closer to home?

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join