Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

Strange Hypnagogia

page: 1

join

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 11:37 PM
link   
en.wikipedia.org...

Hypnagogia (from Greek hypnos "sleep" + agōgos "leading, inducing") is the transitional state between wakefulness and sleep (i.e., the onset of sleep), originally coined in adjectival form as "hypnagogic" by Alfred Maury.

...hypnagogic sounds vary in intensity from faint impressions to loud noises, such as crashes and bangs (exploding head syndrome). People may imagine their own name called or a doorbell ringing. Snatches of imagined speech are common. While typically nonsensical and fragmented, these speech events can occasionally strike the individual as apt comments on—or summations of—their thoughts at the time. They often contain word play, neologisms and made-up names. Hypnagogic speech may manifest as the subject's own "inner voice", or as the voices of others: familiar people or strangers. More rarely, poetry or music is heard.

So this morning I hear the loud stern voice of a what sounded like a man proclaim himself to be a "demon from the time of solomon" or temple of solomon. I never did too much reading about solomons temple but I have in the past some. The voice also mocked my sleep apnea and a particulary nasty bout of it last night.

But then it also before I woke up said the words "rage abide!". I went to work thinking about it, came home and googled it,"rage abide" was highlighted in the second link:

www.lutheran-hymnal.com...

Oh, let Thy holy wounds for me
Clefts in the rock forever be
Where as a dove my soul can hide
And safe from Satan's rage abide.

Weird huh?

edit on 23-7-2012 by thisisnotaname because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 11:52 PM
link   
Interesting. Creep you out or scare you any? Did you gut tell you anything was wrong? Or are you thinking its this syndrome?

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 12:09 AM
link   
Do you hear this as your falling asleep or as you're waking up? If it's from when you're waking up, that's actually hypnopompic hallucination.

From what I can tell, the hypnopompic waking up variety tend to me more... demonic? They tend to be filled with more things that could be considered demonic, shadow people, all manner of frightful stuff. You hardly every hear of that sort of thing with the hypnogogic falling asleep ones, which tend to be more dream seed than anything.

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 12:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mr Headshot
Interesting. Creep you out or scare you any? Did you gut tell you anything was wrong? Or are you thinking its this syndrome?

Creeped me out. Didn't scare me as much because it was daytime I guess. Nothing felt wrong or doomy since I've been interested in weird stuff that happens in the sleep states for a while. This one was different.

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 12:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by The Cusp
Do you hear this as your falling asleep or as you're waking up? If it's from when you're waking up, that's actually hypnopompic hallucination.

From what I can tell, the hypnopompic waking up variety tend to me more... demonic? They tend to be filled with more things that could be considered demonic, shadow people, all manner of frightful stuff. You hardly every hear of that sort of thing with the hypnogogic falling asleep ones, which tend to be more dream seed than anything.

Ah, waking up it was. Hypnopompic. Seen a shadow person too not too long ago.

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 12:47 AM
link   
Another thing the voice said as it was mocking my sleep apnea was calling it "lock of lung".

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 12:48 AM
link   
reply to post by thisisnotaname

"demon from the time of solomon"

Did you get a name ?

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 12:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by samsamm9

"demon from the time of solomon"

Did you get a name ?

No. Funny you mention that though because years ago I did get a name from a similar type episode.

The name sounded like "Ribidus". In fact if you google the name a few links down you'll see a link to a thread I started about that experience on a different website.
edit on 24-7-2012 by thisisnotaname because: (no reason given)
edit on 24-7-2012 by thisisnotaname because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 12:59 AM
link   

rabidus Latin, meaning: raging, crazy.

Close to Ribidus

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 01:05 AM
link   

Every person has a very different and active Subconscious Mind. During specific forms of sleep such as R.E.M. sleep or Rapid Eye Movement sleep...you brain when you are sleeping shifts in between several types of Brain Wave States and as a person begins to wake alter in between these various Brain Wave States which can cause confusion between the normal separation of a Persons...Subconscious, Left Hemisphere and Right Hemispheres thought process.

This can lead to something of the nature of what you experienced. This can also be a symptom of a Medical Problem so if this persists...I would suggest getting a CT or MRI scan. The possibility of it being another entity accessing your mental state is remote.
Split Infinity

posted on Mar, 2 2013 @ 12:34 PM
link   
Hey, maybe it was Nicki's friend? She says he was "conjured up" just like demons were from the time of Solomon's temple. Also mentions a rage aspect.

posted on Mar, 2 2013 @ 01:34 PM
link   

Oh, let Thy holy wounds for me
Clefts in the rock forever be
Where as a dove my soul can hide
And safe from Satan's rage abide.

Dreams are really still far out to sea when it comes to any genuine understanding of them. There are those that never break through to the light of day and are lost to memory. Others do manage recall but... it is like tapping a barrel of wine as it is soon empty and the contents lost. But then still others... they have foundation and stick with us like a true love or a faithful pet. They follow us through life... the dream that becomes something more... with a meaning that touches our lives.

Your quote above may carry meaning and heart. If nothing else, it is a nice collection of words in a very appropriate arrangement.

posted on Mar, 5 2013 @ 01:33 PM
link   
Hypnagogic talk eminates from the right brain half, that is if your right handed. I read an article about it a while ago. The sentences are indeed typically short, like buzz words.

I almost always have hypnagogic images and used to have the words/sounds also. But now no more phrases which is a shame as I'm curious to know what my non dominant brain half wants to say.

posted on Mar, 10 2013 @ 07:00 PM
link   

did this issues.. still happening to you

top topics

join