It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

World silent as Muslim massacre goes on in Myanmar

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+16 more 
posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 10:53 PM
link   

Mohammad Hossein Nikzad, a close personal friend and a senior student of political science just called me a few hours ago, worriedly talking about the dire situation of the Rohingya Muslims in Myanmar and the atrocities the Buddhist Rakhines are committing in the East Asian nation.

He called my attention to the mainstream media’s flagrant inattention to the heartrending genocide of the Muslims in Myanmar, saying that they are only a few second-rate news websites and some of the Iranian news agencies which have given coverage to the course of events.

And unfortunately, he was right. My searching for factual reports and articles regarding the massacre of Muslims in Myanmar by the extremist Buddhists yielded no significant results. I only found some pictorial reports of the burning of Myanmarese children published by Iranian news websites, an article by Ramzy Baroud which was republished in some Asian newspapers and an editorial by Dr Ismail Salami on Press TV. Neither Reuters, nor New York Times, nor Washington Post, nor Fox News nor their comrades and cronies in France, Germany, Britain, Australia and Canada had uttered a single word regarding the painful days the Muslims of Myanmar are experiencing.

650 Rohingya Muslims were killed from June 10 to 28, 1,200 went missing and more than 80,000 others were displaced as a result of rioting, arson and rape.

Now if this were any other group would it be widely ignored? I doubt it. There would at least be a few high-profile bleeding heart Hollywood celebs who would try to inform the public about the cause (see Richard Gere and Tibet) or do a benefit or something.

...and most people would think you were joking if you said "Buddhist extremist terrorism."
edit on 23-7-2012 by CoolerAbdullah786 because: Added video

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 10:59 PM
link   
Wow, that's terrible. I hadn't heard anything about this. Thank you for posting

The first glimmer of violence in Myanmar occurred in June after claims that three Rohingya Muslims had raped a Buddhist woman. Following the allegations, extremist Buddhists started killing Muslims living in the Arakan province. According to the report, more than 1,000 Rohingya Muslims living in Myanmar have been killed and more than 90,000 have been left homeless since the violence started.

Source

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 11:01 PM
link   
There are extremist Buddhists?

All kidding aside, I think this definitely merits attention. Maybe Iran should fire a missile in that direction so people will look over there?

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 11:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by aaron2209

The first glimmer of violence in Myanmar occurred in June after claims that three Rohingya Muslims had raped a Buddhist woman. Following the allegations, extremist Buddhists started killing Muslims living in the Arakan province. According to the report, more than 1,000 Rohingya Muslims living in Myanmar have been killed and more than 90,000 have been left homeless since the violence started.

Source

Makes me think a bit of the incident in Rosewood, Florida back in 1923.

+24 more 
posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 11:05 PM
link   
reply to post by CoolerAbdullah786

Main points of the letter of Myanmar ambassador
-- On 28 May this year, a Rakhine Buddhist girl was raped and killed by three Muslims in Kyaukpyu district of Rakhine State. The perpetrators were arrested and put in police custody.
-- On 30 May, 100 people including relatives of the girl and villagers came to the police station asking police to hand over the accused to them. Police refused and opened fire to disperse the mob.
-- On 3 June in a town called Taunggup, a group of about 300 Rakhine Buddhists attacked 10 Muslim passengers on a bus travelling to Yangon. All 10 were killed on the spot. This led to violent clashes between Rakhine Buddhists and Muslims. The situation went out of control.
-- Curfew was imposed by the State Government on 8 June 2012. However, clashes continued. State of Emergency was declared in Rakhine State by the Union Government on 10 June. Army was called in to control the situation. The situation is now back to normal completely.
--During the clashes, both Rakhine Buddhists and Muslims, 79 persons in total, were killed and many injured. It is totally untrue that hundreds or thousands have been killed and that those killed were Muslims. The deaths were caused by either group to each other, not by others. Houses and property worth millions of dollars were destroyed. Thousands of victims have become homeless.
-- The government formed on 6 June 2012 an Investigation Committee headed by the Deputy Minister of Home Affairs to investigate all aspects of the unfortunate incident and submit a report to the President.
-- 30 Rakhine Buddhist suspects have already been detained so far.
-- Relief camps, 72 in total, have been set up separately for Rakhine Buddhists and Muslims. Basic needs of food, clothing and medicines of the victims have been met by the government.
-- In coordination with the government, UN agencies in the country, including UNHCR, UNFPA, WFP and UNOCHA, and INGOs have also been providing humanitarian assistance to the victims.
--Lt. Gen. Thein Htay, Union Minister for Border Affairs and for Myanmar Industrial Development, accompanied by Mr. Vijay Nambiar, Special Envoy of the UN Secretary-General, officials from UN agencies, 15 Muslim leaders from Yangon visited Rakhine State recently

link

Muslims started this, and I wonder how many Buddhist have been killed by Muslims?

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 11:06 PM
link   

Salaam Abdullah
It isn't just Muslims being attacked in Myanmar, many Buddhist monks have had to escape into Laos and Thailand to avoid being shot. The governing administration there have been clamping down on what they call dissent i.e. anything they do not agree with for years now. The politicians just want to carry on making crystal meth and yabba and distribute it though out S.E.Asia. This is what happens when criminals run countries.

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 11:06 PM
link   
reply to post by LDragonFire

So one occasion of alleged rape merits the massacre of innocent Muslims who had nothing to do with it? Or the hypothetical murder of Buddhists throughout history at the hands of Muslims justifies the actions of these Buddhists in Myanmar? A "tu quoque" argument is a logical fallacy.

Sounds to me like you would also argue for the Rosewood massacre.
edit on 23-7-2012 by CoolerAbdullah786 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 11:09 PM
link   

It should have ended with the 3 perps being arrested. Instead people thought vigilante justice was a better idea which has now created this mess.

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 11:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by CoolerAbdullah786

So one occasion of alleged rape merits the massacre of innocent Muslims who had nothing to do with it? Or the hypothetical murder of Buddhists throughout history at the hands of Muslims justifies the actions of these Buddhists in Myanmar? A "tu quoque" argument is a logical fallacy.

Sounds to me like you would also argue for the Rosewood massacre.

I don't care what happens to them...
edit on 23-7-2012 by LDragonFire because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 11:13 PM
link   

No offense but it doesn't sound harsh; it sounds stupid. You are sentencing all Muslims for the actions of some. You are saying because of the actions of SOME (in this instance THREE) Muslims then it's fully justified for the killing of over a thousand INNOCENT Muslims including women and children?

And "if" Muslims would contribute math, science, art, etc.? Are you serious? Clearly you know nothing of history. If it wasn't for Muslims throughout history we wouldn't have hardly anything that we have now.

The Christian West has cultivated more terror and destruction and scientific ignorance for 2000 years than Muslims have, if you want to play that card

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 11:16 PM
link   

Dear CoolerAbdullah786,

I absolutely agree that this is horrible and should be reported more. I have read some of your posts before and you seem fairly reasonable. You have courage to speak on the site as a Muslim because I am sure you get grief for that same as I do for being a Christian. We will disagree on this, I don't think the media cares about any believers other than to portray us all as evil and heartless. Let us agree to let all people know their God and to not harm any for conceiving of him differently than we do. Let us all agree to renounce punishing people for their religious beliefs.

I am not a Muslim, I am a Christian and I don't believe Muslims should be punished or harmed for believing differently than me. I detest all harm done on others for their personal spiritual choices and believe they should have as much religious freedom as is right. Child sacrifice is a no no. Thanks for reporting this. Peace.

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 11:16 PM
link   

A few links for you.

Muslim contributions to science

Islamic scientific contributions to civilization

Science in the medieval Islamic world

Muslim contributions to science (not the same as the first link)

Or just do a Google search for "Scientific contributions of Islam"

+22 more 
posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 11:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by CoolerAbdullah786

A few links for you.

Muslim contributions to science

Islamic scientific contributions to civilization

Science in the medieval Islamic world

Muslim contributions to science (not the same as the first link)

Or just do a Google search for "Scientific contributions of Islam"

Perhaps you would care to explain why these contributions to the world stopped so long ago?

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 11:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by AQuestion

We will disagree on this, I don't think the media cares about any believers other than to portray us all as evil and heartless. Let us agree to let all people know their God and to not harm any for conceiving of him differently than we do. Let us all agree to renounce punishing people for their religious beliefs.

No we don't disagree on that at all. I completely agree with you. In one way or another the media does love to paint believers in God, no matter their religion, in a negative light for the most part.

Thank you for your kind words. May God continue to bless you.

link   

that report looks biased.. there are deaths on both sides.. if there are reports or muslim deaths than where are the deaths of buddhists??

its a riot caused by poor management from authorities. i kinda agree with abdel.

link   

-- Relief camps, 72 in total, have been set up separately for Rakhine Buddhists and Muslims. Basic needs of food, clothing and medicines of the victims have been met by the government.

Relief Camps? I honestly don't think the Myanmar Govt. give a damn about Muslims or the Rakhine, and as for meeting their needs for food, clothing and medicine they don't give those things to their loyal citizens so I doubt that the people in the refugee/ FEMA camps will get any.

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 11:20 PM
link   

actually its british colonialism that's to blame
apparently there was some difficulty in getting the locals to serve as cheap labor
so they encouraged immigration despite knowing that these particular muslims were not liked
all for cheap labor, they seem to have been quite liberal doling out lands
and were intentionally lax with border security

after they brought in thousands more they set up a commission to investigate
but shortly after abandoned the country and these Muslims they brought in as cheap labor
whose abrahamic/patriarchal worldview and attitudes was guaranteed to clash with the traditional "pagans"

especially when being johnny come latelies they started talking jihad and independent islamic nation within the nation

all this from looking up these 2 tribes on wiki as i was sure there was a history of tribal conflict

these poor muslims seem to have barged their way in with the blessing and protection of the british
and no doubt adopted snooty attitudes towards the local savages [read folks to smart to be buffaloed]
from the looks of it they've managed to alienate everybody in the country
even xtians and pro-democracy groups hate em.

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 11:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by LDragonFire

Perhaps you would care to explain why these contributions to the world stopped so long ago?

I can't speculate on that. Possibly Western imperialism and overtaking of Muslim lands (especially starting in the early 20s).

But you are now trying to move the goalpost. You claim that Muslims did not/do not contribute to these things when indeed they did and do. You think all scientists, mathematicians, artists, etc. are non-Muslims? You got another thing coming.

As I see happen a lot, I believe your anti-Islamic attitudes are clouding your reason, rationality, and judgment. I mean you are attempting to justify the slaughter of innocent people. But if it were some violent extremist morons claiming to be Muslims slaughtering innocent people your heart would go out to them. This is the definition of biased hypocrisy.

+16 more 
posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 11:34 PM
link   
al-Ghazali is the reason for the downfall of science, math and other cultural society from the Muslim world.

Iman al-Ghazali
1000 years ago the Islamic culture walked away from the sciences because of one man...learn the history of what you worship.

And from the link I provided and what I have been able to find on the net there has been 70ish deaths from both sides from this.

Maybe I'm wrong on the death tolls and deaths suck, but in a culture that cheers at public executions of women its hard to be sympathetic.

reply to post by DerepentLEstranger

Incorrect, the decline was self inflicted 1000 years ago, the link explains what happen,

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 11:40 PM
link   

in a culture that cheers at public executions its hard to be sympathetic.

Have you ever watched U.S. news when a prisoner's due for execution, devout Christians holding up posters saying Burn Baby Burn? I don't want to turn this into a pissing contest but the states execute more people than Iran and Saudi put together.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join