It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can I sue my ISP for malware?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 09:56 PM
link   
Now that the government has said that ISPs have to keep connection records for a minimum of 2 years, can I sue them for allowing malware to infect my computer?

It would seem that they know where it came from and what it is...

And what about spam?
If a connection sends out 20,000 emails, would they not know what is happening?

Just a thought?

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 10:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Arrow22

Don't be silly! Laws like this aren't meant to protect the people, they're meant to protect the big corporations. Oh, wait, those are people too.

Laws like this aren't meant to protect us! They're meant to protect them!

I'd love to be able to sue them for allowing stuff to have a go at my computer. But, that's not what they're really there for. The networks are intended to be an open gateway for whatever goes across them. I had a VP for AT&T tell me that they honestly don't care what goes across the networks as long as it doesn't interfere with the rest of the traffic. But now, it's the other people stepping in to mess with the free internet.

I'd say you should give it a try and be the test case for the rest of us. If you're successful, we can follow in your steps!

edit on 23-7-2012 by Mapkar because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 10:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Arrow22

Dear Arrow22,

You can sue anyone for anything at any time. The question is, can you win and is it worth it. The next question is, will any attorney bother taking your case. If you really hate your ISP, leave it, stop using the internet because all of information is public and none is private. You can sue them for that; but, you will lose, there is established legal precedent for you to lose. You choose to use the internet, your ISP does not promise you to protect you from all risks. You can be upset by this, you can be frustrated by this; but, know that it is the truth.

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 10:48 PM
link   
this all was just a joke of sorts

I know that there is little that one person can do
Just wanted to stir the pot, so to speak

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 10:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Arrow22
Now that the government has said that ISPs have to keep connection records for a minimum of 2 years, can I sue them for allowing malware to infect my computer?

It would seem that they know where it came from and what it is...

And what about spam?
If a connection sends out 20,000 emails, would they not know what is happening?

Just a thought?

Suing them for malware would be akin to suing the phone company for vulgarity coming over your phone line.

You kinda aren't gonna win.

As far as spam, many offer crappy anti-spam features, but they aren't required to do this and second they can't compete with better offerings, so it's still garbage (might as well be malware). ISP email is a joke anyway, get on another bigger/better e-mail provider.
edit on 7/23/2012 by AkumaStreak because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 11:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Arrow22
Just wanted to stir the pot, so to speak

Good job. Now dont you feel good about it all?

Whatever.

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 11:14 PM
link   
Imma sue my ISP for bad threads on ATS !!!11

Damn you ISP, Damn you for not .. uhh.. stopping this in it's tracks!!!11

I'm glad we don't have such odd policies here. and I know if they tried, my ISP would fight it to the highest court. Champions of freedom and great broadband plans to boot!

Glad I joined with them almost 7 years ago.

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 06:04 AM
link   
You yourself are responsible for whatever you klick and access on the internet, not your ISP. You choose to go on a malicious website.

Same counts for spam, usually the user him/herself enters his/her email on a malicious site and BAM, full mailbox.

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 07:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Arrow22

Um...no. You cant. You let them in freely the minute you logged on. They have no legal requirement to protect you from yourself.

You picked up the amlware from certain "sites'....they just provided you the "car" to get there.

They provided you what you requested...access to the Internet. Period. Nothing else...they dont need to guarantee you anything but what they promise.

PS Quit going to those sites!!!!

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 01:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Arrow22

years ago i got a virus / Trojan that started pinging 1000's or IP addresses from my location so my ISP rang me up and warned me to disconnect from the internet and deal with it. They didn't shut me down just asked me to do it myself.

new topics

top topics

join