It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Shooter's Mom Disputes ABC Quote

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 08:52 PM
link   
It all seemed to fit so perfectly, from what I had read even James Holmes's own mother did not display surprise when hearing of what her son had allegedly done.

"You have the right person,"

was what ABC News reported Holmes's mother said when informed of a shooting in Aurora, CO., early last Saturday morning. She says she was merely acknowledging that she had a son named James Holmes.

ABC has already been caught running with bad information by assuming he was a Tea Party member by the same name, and yet they are more than willing to run with a shaky quote, obtained from a person who had be awakened from deep sleep, to provide some pretty damning evidence that Holmes was certainly the culprit in the Dark Knight shooting.

At best, it skirts on defamation or libel, at worst ... well, at worst this belongs in the shooter conspiracy thread because it would seem to insinuate that the powers that be were at work to make sure we were all convinced that Holmes was the shooter (I mean, his mom wasn't even surprised!).

Even from ABC's apparent damage control in this story, the mother's account of what happened is much more believable than ABC's story.

But if what ABC says is true, that the mother was basically expecting a call with news of her son doing something horrible, then could she be held culpable? And if so, would not ABC's actions be grounds for defamation or libel?

Mother of James Holmes Says She Didn’t Tell ABC Her Son Was the Killer

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 08:56 PM
link   
I actually believe that her version of events is probably accurate. I know we like to get all conspiracy about things, but 'You have the right person' seems a much more appropriate response to someone asking if you are who you are, and if your son is so and so and lives wherever.

I thought the reporter might have either gotten that line wrong or simply made it up to add a little spice.

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 08:58 PM
link   
If the call came from the offices of ABC News then there might be a recording of it.

I believe the mother.

I've heard of taking comments out of context, but this is a new low.

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 08:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

I agree with you totally, Domo, but isn't that terribly irresponsible if that's what happened?

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 09:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Taupin Desciple

I thought that, too, but the story says the mom's lawyers called to check about the existence of such a recording before moving forward with the press conference. Evidently there's no recording.

The fact that they point this out in the story clearly shows they are trying to discredit what the woman is saying.

link   
reply to post by godWhisperer

I just saw on TV how they purposely threw out there the " tea party" remark.

There was no need for that to even be mentioned. Even in the face of tragedy, politics are at play. Or rather "ratings".

I miss the good old days of honest unbiased reporting of the news, not gossip. Only 3 channels that had integrity and honest to goodness respectable reporters that cared.

link   
reply to post by Domo1

Her version does sound more plausible. It's unnatural for a parent to instantly throw their kid under the bus. I would think first instinct of any parent would be to protect their child.

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 09:06 PM
link   

It is horribly irresponsible. Then again remember the recent flap with CNN, and as I recall this was the same journalist that claimed the shooter was a member of the Tea Party because someone with a similar name was registered.

We really need to start reigning in journalists who only want to break the story first. i'd rather wait ten more minutes and get real facts.

You wake me up in the middle of the night and start asking questions you are going to get some really strange responses in between my swearing.

Not to mention not recording the call... I bet the call was recorded, but someone wants to cover their bottom.
edit on 23-7-2012 by Domo1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 09:10 PM
link   
reply to post by scorpiosin

I would think so as well. Unless of course the child had been acting batpoo crazy for a long time and the parent was fearful of this type of incident. Even in that scenario I can't see a Mother saying that.

I don't know why but it reminds me of that scene in Mystic River where dude beats another guy ad tells his wife he was mugged and that the dude said, 'Your wallet or your life.' People just don't talk like that. Her response would be bizarre if not in the context she is claiming. That was probably a stupid comparison, but I'm a cat.

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 09:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Taupin Desciple

It's ABC; it doesn't come any lower.

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 09:15 PM
link   
reply to post by 0zzymand0s

Always 'bout Cash

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 09:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

Good example, yeah that sounds like scripted talk. I think there would be more people coming forward saying that he was bat-guano crazy if that was the case. The only incident of that so far is that supposed voice mail of his from the gun club application. I'm inclined to believe her version.

That crazy cat should have special insight into anything Batman related!

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 09:17 PM
link   
i think that the FCC really needs to crack down on these "mishaps". There is too much false stories being circulated either for ratings or for political reason.

NBC got caught editing the 911 tapes making Zimmerman look bad.

Here's some info off of the FCC site~~

Broadcasting False Information Background Knowingly broadcasting false information concerning a crime or a catastrophe could violate the rules of the Federal Communications Commission (FCC).

Specifics of the FCC’s Rules
The FCC’s rules prohibit holders of broadcast licenses from broadcasting false information concerning a crime or a catastrophe if: the licensee knows the information is false; and the licensee knows beforehand that broadcasting the information will cause substantial “public harm.”

The public harm: (1) must begin immediately and cause direct and actual damage to property or the health or safety of the general public; or
(2) divert law enforcement or public health and safety authorities from their duties.

www.fcc.gov...

I'm sorry but when is enough , enough before the FCC really does something? And not just a slap on the wrist.

Filing a Complaint with the FCC
If you think these rules have been violated, you can file a complaint with the FCC. You can file your complaint using an online complaint form. You can also file your complaint with the FCC’s Consumer Center by calling 1-888-CALL-FCC (1-888-225-5322) voice or 1-888-TELL-FCC (1-888-835-5322) TTY; faxing 1-866-418-0232; or writing to: Federal Communications Commission Consumer & Governmental Affairs Bureau Consumer Inquiries & Complaints Division 445 12th Street, SW Washington, DC 20554.

Not that it would do any good, but maybe if a bunch of people started to complain about the bogus reports or misleading info from all these networks, then maybe something will happen, maybe.

There's always wishful thinking.......

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 09:31 PM
link   
I feel for the Mother. Not only is she under EXTREME stress after what her son has done, but now having to watch what she says and how she says it for fear of "distortion" of her words from the media.

They need to put a leash on these people. Go back to school, Journalism 101. First course, how to be sympathetic in a time of tragedy. And don't sell your soul to the devil just for ratings.

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 09:33 PM
link   
reply to post by snarky412

Agreed. Like it or not the media has a huge hand in shaping public opinion. People seem more inclined to believe the first thing they hear. So you have a bunch of people running around with half truths, missing facts or outright lies. Another parallel between this and Zimmerman is that they were already essentially convicted by the media. I can't see wither really getting a fair trial at this point. Now I'm pretty sure the suspect is the shooter, but at the end of the day I don't know, and everyone deserves a fair trial. Or a bullet to the head while committing awful acts. Whichever is easier. Too bad some of the gun guys on ATS weren't in attendance. Shooting would have been over quick.

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 09:36 PM
link   

I found it rather disgusting that she heard the news from a bloodsucking reporter in the middle of night.

I know a ton of people are going to jump all over the parents and blame them, but that seems very premature and slimy. I've already heard local radio calling the parents dirtbags (one of my favorite words) because thy refuse to speak with the media and are doing so through a lawyer. That's what I would be doing too. Can you imagine learning that your child committed such an atrocity? It would be devastating. Even if you were the best parent of all time, I would imagine huge pangs of guilt.

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 11:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Domo1

I found it rather disgusting that she heard the news from a bloodsucking reporter in the middle of night.

I know a ton of people are going to jump all over the parents and blame them, but that seems very premature and slimy. I've already heard local radio calling the parents dirtbags (one of my favorite words) because thy refuse to speak with the media and are doing so through a lawyer. That's what I would be doing too. Can you imagine learning that your child committed such an atrocity? It would be devastating. Even if you were the best parent of all time, I would imagine huge pangs of guilt.

I can not even begin to pretend to feel what the parents are going through. I have no earthly idea except that I would think that they never would have wished for this kind of horrific outcome.

People, unfortunately, have become so cruel any more. They need to leave the family alone so they can do their own grieving.

And like you said, it's way to soon to jump the gun & start blaming the parents.
And the way the reporter twisted the Mother's words around is the exact reason why they need a lawyer to do the talking for them & relay any messages.

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 12:57 PM
link   

Weres Muse at? He has been using the mothers quote as proof that this guy was a lone phyco, Now that the point is moot lets start talking ptb conspiracy

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 01:08 PM
link   
Funny thing is, yesterday I kept saying that quote was a clever journalist playing with words. Now it seems we have the proof of it.

There was also another ATS member that literally described that exact scenario for the mother saying 'You have the right person' They said she was most likely saying it about herself and not her son.

Wow, so this is pretty interesting..

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 01:58 PM
link   
reply to post by djr33222

the mom's account sure does seem to make the most sense.

what really irks me, however, is ABC's refusal to back down from this quote. We're just supposed to believe that a mom would incriminate her son just because somebody calls her out of the blue and tells her there's been a shooting. i guess ABC don't mind losing even more credibility.

If the comments at the bottom of ABC's rebuttal to the mom's claims are any indicator, the ATS community is not the only one that has lost faith in the mainstream media.

top topics

join