It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Politically provocative poetry and music

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 06:24 PM
link   
What are everyone's thoughts on poetry and music, specifically, that is very politically provocative? Music/poetry that talks about political figures, for instance, sometimes in negative, demeaning, and/or violent ways?

I listen to a lot of political music and have for many, many years. I like artists like Mos Def, Lupe Fiasco, Public Enemy, Rage Against the Machine, Flobots, Immortal Technique, dead prez, etc. All of whom have made very strong political statements in their art.

I also think back to growing up and hearing songs like "Cop Killer" by Ice-T and "Bush Killer" by Paris.

I myself also write music and poetry, most of which is either political (although not exactly provocative, but rather thought-provoking) and spiritual.

Basically my question is do you think that political music that may even mention violence against public figures is wrong and beyond coverage by the First Amendment? Or do you think that even then it is just an artist expressing themselves creatively and venting frustrations, and not intended to be an actual threat against said figures?

The reason I ask is because I'm working on a poem that is basically me describing a fictional dream that I had (which I actually did not have. I am taking creative license) and the dream is somewhat violent in nature against certain people. I really want to share this poem with people, but I also don't want it to be misconstrued as violence or threats against people because it's 100% not. I'm merely venting my frustrations.

The funny thing is also if I made a poem/song describing violence against someone like Kim Kardashian or Justin Bieber, or those Jersey Shore douchebags no one would really care. But if it was against a politician or something I imagine people, especially supporters of said politician, would be up in arms.

Thoughts?

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 06:34 PM
link   
Well....violence begets violence. Fight fire with fire and all you get is a bigger inferno. Water quells fire. Give peace a chance and all that.

It is the duty of the poet and the musician to draw attention to social/political injustice (not to incite more of the same) and the reason we haven't been hearing much of that kind of thing on the radio/tv of late (for more than a decade now actually) is censorship - instead we have been inflicted with insipid, egoistic vacuous nonsense - and it is such a bloody bore.

join