A Question to the Intelligent People of ATS: How old are we?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 08:20 PM
link   
reply to post by shadowplaya

Welcome to the board!

There is a difference between a creature similar to our bodies then a creature of similar intelligence.
Did you know that the brain size of a neanderthal was actually bigger then that of our species?
And who won out in that battle of the fittest?

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 08:23 PM
link   
still learning how to reply to certain posts so sorry ahead of time :/.

im checking it out now, dude that posted that link,

the the 2nd person. i see where your coming from but if it happened 300 times +, whos to say they didnt win a few times?

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 08:31 PM
link   

Dude.
That is probably the best first post I have ever seen.

Hurry up and get your 20 so you can start making interesting threads, we've been running short of them lately.

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 08:35 PM
link   

Nice hypothesis. Most of you seem to be along the same line of thinking as I am.

Everything is cyclicle, so why wouldnt the rise and fall of other "advanced" species be the same way. Maybe in the past our species or an earlier version did progress to the point of leaving this solar system. Then just like today there might have been factions, offshoots. Maybe we are the lesser "evolved" form of our original selves and the others left us here to continue our "evolutionary" path.

Edit: And no I haven't seen those threads yet but I will check them out.

This topic seems to be getting some good responses, flag it so it can stay on the board and we can continue the debate!
edit on 23-7-2012 by coven83 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 08:57 PM
link   
reply to post by coven83

I always just think myself in circles about topics like this. If they came from here surely they would stop back by every once in a while to check up on things. If they have been back. For a while or where here the entire time, than they must have a good ass time laughing at us all down here. I know if I was looking down I would see a world full of self important insects crawling around fighting over scraps, when the entire table has been right in front of them the entire time.monte python type of funny. You know , not quite lol but a little more than haha funny.

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 09:06 PM
link   
reply to post by TheLieWeLive

On this idea that advanced human civilizations have existed in the past and got wiped out by something...

I was wondering today - why have we never found their cut diamonds? Did these past civilizations not use diamonds like we do?

I can't imagine any kind of cataclysm that would destroy all the diamonds of a civilization....

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 09:38 PM
link   
reply to post by FOXMULDER147

when we me you current civilization think of cut diamonds we use them for many things, but we cut them to look pretty, and to drill holes, because we dont have a harder element besides diamond to do this.

keep in mind that diamonds may have been used in raw form instead of 'cut' maybe for other applications besides the ones we currently use them for.

I do recall reading a article, about (im guessing here but i think it was the mayans) not sure , but lets say an "ancient civilization" so i can continue. that used SOMETHING to bore holes in rock that can 'currently' we know can only be cut by laser or diamonds.

again all speculation obviously, but maybe they had no need for diamonds, no need for pretty cut diamonds. or at that time other methods of cutting things were invented. Remember we are talking civilizations that were possibly millions of years more advanced then us.

Think about it, lets say diamonds didnt exist at all, well lasers cut right? and that only took us (current humans) about a 100 years to master. 100 years, now in a thousand , few thousand, maybe a million. im pretty sure we are going to upgrade lasers to , maybe using the suns plasma to cut... WHO KNOWS but again remember diamonds are an element , that currently we value highly..only until we find something better.

EDIT:
after further thinking , what if they did recognize the value of diamonds, and took them with them when they left the planet. i mean its not like diamonds are all over the ground like grass is. and if the earth started as a molten rock, then cooled, wouldnt you think diamonds would be more abundant then what they are now?....unless someone took most of them...
edit on 23-7-2012 by shadowplaya because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 09:50 PM
link   

Think about it, lets say diamonds didnt exist at all, well lasers cut right? and that only took us (current humans) about a 100 years to master. 100 years, now in a thousand , few thousand, maybe a million. im pretty sure we are going to upgrade lasers to , maybe using the suns plasma to cut... WHO KNOWS but again remember diamonds are an element , that currently we value highly..only until we find something better.

Just wondering if you are suggesting that there was available electricity back then for use of a laser.
You know there is speculations that the pyramids in Giza could have been a power source,right?

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 10:03 PM
link   
reply to post by kdog1982

cant figure out the quote thing but yes of course i think electricity existed:
"(maybe civilizations that existed millions of years ago, that advanced to the point of space travel, maybe even travel faster then light etc. i mean they do have..well a couple billion years on us)"

i have also read ( now that i think about it, i read alot lol) but anyway, ive read about batteries existing in the past. that we have evidence of.

The Baghdad Battery, sometimes referred to as the Parthian Battery, is the common name for a number of artifacts created in Mesopotamia, during the dynasties of Parthian or Sassanid period (the early centuries AD),
en.wikipedia.org...

Id like to say also, keep in mind that if civilizations existed, they are not held back to how big they were how strong, how tiny, or if they were even "human" looking. there could have been a civilization of 15 foot giants that could lift boulders and move huge stones, wayyy stronger then we would ever be. or short big brained alien looking creatures, just because a civilization existed, doesnt mean they have to look, act or even think like we do currently.

i have not heard about the pyramids, i will now read about them.
sounds interesting!
edit on 23-7-2012 by shadowplaya because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 10:26 PM
link   

Yeah,always wondered were the evidence was for such an advanced society.
My thinking is that that were more resourceful and more based on nature than what man made.

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 10:36 PM
link   
reply to post by kdog1982

The Dropa Stones In 1938, an archeological expedition led by Dr. Chi Pu Tei into the Baian-Kara-Ula mountains of China made an astonishing discovery in some caves that had apparently been occupied by some ancient culture. Buried in the dust of ages on the cave floor were hundreds of stone disks. Measuring about nine inches in diameter, each had a circle cut into the center and was etched with a spiral groove, making it look for all the world like some ancient phonograph record some 10,000 to 12,000 years old. The spiral groove, it turns out, is actually composed of tiny hieroglyphics that tell the incredible story of spaceships from some distant world that crash-landed in the mountains. The ships were piloted by people who called themselves the Dropa, and the remains of whose descendents, possibly, were found in the cave.

The Antikythera Mechanism A perplexing artifact was recovered by sponge-divers from a shipwreck in 1900 off the coast of Antikythera, a small island that lies northwest of Crete. The divers brought up from the wreck a great many marble and and bronze statues that had apparently been the ship's cargo. Among the findings was a hunk of corroded bronze that contained some kind of mechanism composed of many gears and wheels. Writing on the case indicated that it was made in 80 B.C., and many experts at first thought it was an astrolabe, an astronomer's tool. An x-ray of the mechanism, however, revealed it to be far more complex, containing a sophisticated system of differential gears. Gearing of this complexity was not known to exist until 1575! It is still unknown who constructed this amazing instrument 2,000 years ago or how the technology was lost.

Out-of-Place Metal Objects Humans were not even around 65 million years ago, never mind people who could work metal. So then how does science explain semi-ovoid metallic tubes dug out of 65-million-year-old Cretaceous chalk in France? In 1885, a block of coal was broken open to find a metal cube obviously worked by intelligent hands. In 1912, employees at an electric plant broke apart a large chunk of coal out of which fell an iron pot! A nail was found embedded in a sandstone block from the Mesozoic Era.

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 10:41 PM
link   

Got me,when you figure it out you will be either very rich or scorned as a theoretical nut case.

BTW,there are some explanations on here,just use the ats search function as your guide.

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 11:49 AM
link   
reply to post by coven83

The modern Homo Sapiens is about 500,000 years old according to research done by the most intelligent of our scientists in pertinent fields.

If you have evidence to the contrary, please share it.

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 11:55 AM
link   
I think there's some holes in your reasoning. You ask why it seems we've stopped evolving. Eh, we haven't. Not sure why you think that!

Why does it seem to be at a slower rate than many other species? Simple! We live longer. It takes longer for us to have a successive generation than say...a dog, or mosquito!

We're still evolving to this day. As to how old are we? There isn't an honest answer to this question. At some point we will pick an arbitrary point and say THIS is when we were as we are today. Why do I conclude this? Look at how many scientists have differing opinions on the matter. Some pick this variation over that one to claim the begging of our species. I see no point, just a continuous flow.

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 12:03 PM
link   
The problem with the question is that it assumes "time" exists in the form we have accepted. It does not. Time is an illusion, created by the brain, and is not how things are measured. All things are the same age, there is no age, the difference between "things" or "expressions" is the amount of awareness of itself that such expression has, then how much awareness each expression has of all expressions. There is no first, no last, no beginning, no end, there is only middle and all things happening at the same "time." The distinction between myself and a rock is the amount of awareness I have vs. the rock.

Keeping that in mind, the question should change to reflect the truth of our expression and not the deception. You might want to ask, "how long has the earth plane game been going on, when measured with the earth game rules?" In this case the rule of time, an hour, day, year etc. is germane only to earth - venus has another "time" process when compared to us, but only as seen from our game. The answer to that question isn't really relevant, novel yes, but not relevant, as it would be akin to asking, from the inside, how long the game of Halo has been going on - from the avatars pov.

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 12:54 PM
link   
A brief history:

~13.7 billion years ago our Universe takes shape
~4.5 billion years ago our planet takes shape
~4 billion years ago there's RNA life
~3.7 billion years ago there's cellular life
~1.5 billion years ago the common ancestor of all eukaryotes is alive
~1.2 billion years ago the common ancestor of plants, animals, and fungi is alive
~1 billion years ago the common ancestor of animals and fungi is alive
~500 million years ago the common ancestor of all vertebrates is alive
~80 million years ago the common ancestor of mice and men is alive
~7 million years ago the common ancestor of humans and chimps is alive
~300,000 years ago we have anatomically modern humans
edit on 24-7-2012 by rhinoceros because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 01:08 PM
link   
reply to post by rhinoceros

I noticed you took off the bit about there being little to no faith and it's all objective reasoning.

Meh, I still have my doubts about the faith some scientists have in long term reliability of radioactive dating.

I intuit that the rate of decay may change depending on environmental influences over the eons. Maybe so, maybe not!

Here's an article that talks about this observed variation

I tried college years ago, and was laughed at from everyone including the teacher for intuiting this in class and speaking my mind. The teacher gave me some poor reasoning as he gave me the "you crazy??" look. I thought he was a bit foolish and stopped attending his classes.

edit on 24-7-2012 by unityemissions because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 01:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by unityemissions
I intuit that the rate of decay may change depending on environmental influences over the eons. Maybe so, maybe not!

I'm by no means an expert on radiometric dating, but when numerous techniques produce very similar results, and these involve not just radiometric dating methods but totally unrelated branches of science like geography, physics, and biology (e.g. levels of genetic divergence and so forth), it seems all in all rather robust and trustworthy.

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 01:20 PM
link   
reply to post by rhinoceros

Eh, I'm just a dropout, so what I know?

Still, I don't think it's as reliable as the establishment likes to believe.

I could be wrong.

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 10:04 PM
link   
reply to post by coven83

The reason we stopped evolving....theres no reason to adapt anymore. We have everything we need in society. I could see us losing our pinky fingers though as the years go on...such a pointless appendage.
edit on 25-7-2012 by PsyMike91 because: typo

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join