It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mitt Romney Accused of Buying Twitter Followers

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 04:52 PM
link   
After lying polls,rigged primarys and fixed state conventions does this news really surpise anyone ?
Mittens will have the presidency at any cost.
How much more pathetic can this election get ?
135,000 people decide over the weekend that they like Mittens ?
Whats really funny ol' Mitten couldn't pack 'em in at his rallys .

The presidential hopeful gained more than 135,000 new followers over the weekend; prior to that, he'd been racking them up at a rate of 3,000 to 4,000 per day.

news.yahoo.com...
edit on 23-7-2012 by OLD HIPPY DUDE because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 04:57 PM
link   
Well it really wouldn't surprise me at all, in fact its quite obvious. I have yet to actually meet anyone that has said anything good about Mitt let alone any bumper stickers or signs or buttons and I've been in the south for a year now.

Taking a trip to Houston soon so maybe I'll actually get to see one, it'll be like finding a unicorn.

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 05:02 PM
link   
reply to post by OLD HIPPY DUDE

Well if he wants a few twits...I guess he knows where to find them.
Twitter=getting ignored by people on tv in real time...unless they have a use for you.

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 05:03 PM
link   
It's due to him saying a nice word about Ron Paul, so all the Paul supporters joined to see what he will say next.

That's it.

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 05:04 PM
link   
news?

Someone tweets that they suspect a possible reason for the increase of followers could be the result of them being bought, and you call it news?

Please.. politics is bad enough these days without anonymous tweets being used as a news source.. :shk:

edit on Mon, 23 Jul 2012 17:04:51 -0500 by JacKatMtn because: bbcode

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 05:07 PM
link   
S & F for you Old Hippie Dude you are so groovy, man. (That word is a blast from the past) I like that word, groovy...we should bring back all of the 60's lingo and ideals, these wonderful things killed by the establishment. But there are a few of us still around, too young to participate then, but as a child, that old 60" "fire in the belly" is still there and will NEVER be quenched or exstinguished, that fire for social justice, equality, peace & love. POWER TO THE PEOPLE!!! Ok man,back to the topic of your post, this sh$t doesn't suprise me at all, this dude is clearly a silver spoon fed, trust fund raised establishment baby. This whole world is a scam, a pyramidal power structured ponzi scheme, rigged, fixed and designed to keep the common man down under the jack boot of oppression. We are ripped off at every turn by the MAN...this jive a$$ square is the embodiment of the MAN in all his evil forms. (Obama is just as bad don't get me wrong, he's just not such a dufus). Election? Who cares man? I mean don't you know it's rigged? It's all rigged. Tune off the frequency of these parasites and tune in your own cosmic frequency man....it's groovy baby.

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 05:07 PM
link   
reply to post by OLD HIPPY DUDE

I know the headline of the article is the same as your headline, but you could have chosen differently. The article gives no evidence to support the claim, and only says that one twitter follower has that theory. Another theory mentioned was that all the new followers are "Twitter bots." I'm sure that if I looked someone would have suggested that they were all aliens, or Anonymous, or Mossad.

Perhaps others did, but I didn't see that as a particularly meaningful article.

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 05:15 PM
link   
Someone really calls this dude "Mittens", your jiven me? That's right up there with Biff, Skippy and Muffy, this world is getting more laughable evey day.

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 05:16 PM
link   
reply to post by charles1952

The simple fact that Mittens was averaging 3 to 4 thousand followers a day and over one weekend he gets 135,000 followers doesn't raise a flag ?
Like I said where were all these followers at Mittens rallys ?

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 05:17 PM
link   
reply to post by JacKatMtn

I didn't even look at the "news" source...the title alone was idiotic enough for me to reply.(also believable)
Thanks for the heads up Jack.

I actually wouldn't put it past our "leaders" to pull a tactic like this to get voted in.

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 05:21 PM
link   
reply to post by DrumsRfun

Wits end I tell you...

I said anonymous tweet since the link provided in the news piece doesn't even go to the alleged tweet

Stop the madness I beg everyone

FTR.. I am no fan of either Major party POTUS candidate.. I just appreciate more facts and less fantasy..

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 05:38 PM
link   
Romney Once Again In Fake Twitter Account Scandal

Earlier this year, people associated with the Romney campaign were caught making fake Bill Clinton as well as Joe Biden as well as other accounts on Twitter. However, now the Romney Twitter feed appears filled with fake accounts as well. Coming so close on the heels of reports that Romney is failing to effectively use social media such as twitter, and trails behind the president in the social media environment, it is clear that Romney is having a problem.

More on the fake accounts (links to the original Reddit source):
Are mitt romney's Twitter Followers Bought, Paid For, and Fake, Just Like Him?

The comments include:

Look at the names and handles of Mitt Romney's fake tweeps and it is obvious they are computer generated. Mitt Romney buying fake twitter followers.

Every time i refresh he gets 50 or so new followers. Most followers are following exactly 4 people. Most have no tweets or one generic quote tweet from a semifamous person.

The tweets these people have made are almost all done in the last minute or so for the new additions to the list.

While that is evidence of nothing, it certainly is suspicious.

Some don't even make sense:

This person has a female name, a single tweet using a

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 05:42 PM
link   
I thought everyone bought twitter followers.

There's a million things to rag Romney on but to me this isn't a big deal.

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 05:51 PM
link   
I would wager that the majority of those fake twitter accounts were created by foreign workers routed through proxies located in the United States. Which would be hilarious if true due to accusations of Romney outsourcing overseas.

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 05:53 PM
link   
Sounds to me like the Obama Campaign is busy with that sock-puppet software.

It's the old "set 'em up and blame 'em" game at work for sure.

This is obviously a trick to make Romney look bad and dishonest.

The desperation is getting them in hotter water by the day.

But then again, with the recent Obama gaffes maybe all the Romney support is genuine !!

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 09:20 PM
link   
reply to post by xuenchen

Seriously Mittens does not need any help making himself look bad.

new topics

top topics

join