It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cops: Maine man brought loaded gun into 'Batman' flick

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 10:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by getreadyalready
It could be done simply and quickly with poison. Someone intent on mass killings will find a way. It has happened plenty of times. What about gas attacks? Fires? I mean, if this nutjob in Colorado wanted too, he could have barricaded the backdoors, and drove his car in through the front one blocking the last exit and tossed a few molotave cocktails into the theatre. Or he could have just added cyanide to the popcorn butter.

The weapon of choice is not the issue.

Touche.

Is poison so readily available as a gun in the US? Poison that would enable someone to commit mass murder?

The car point you made was perfectly valid, however I still disagree in that I think it is the weapon that is the issue, but probably more so the fact it is easy to own one or easy to get access to one.

I go back to my original post here that I think owning guns for hunting is ok, I myself own a 20 and 12 bore, but the vetting to own one felt like I was being interrogated by the CIA. I can't go in to a cinema with a 20 bore and shoot 20+ people, it's simply not possible. Now were it a pump action, then it wouldn't be so hard.

I am happy to agree to disagree, I think that the entire subject can never be one where an American and a non-American can agree. Kind of like asking French people to stop liking their own wine, not going to happen.....

T

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 10:37 AM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

Yes, I did in fact invite him to shoot with us. He just smiled and politely refused.

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 10:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by tothetenthpower

Cops: Maine man brought loaded gun into 'Batman' flick

www.bostonherald.com

A Maine man pulled over for speeding early yesterday morning told cops he brought a loaded gun into a showing of the new “Batman” flick and had a car full of weapons and press clippings from the Colorado movie massacre, authorities report.

Maine State Police say after they arrested Timothy Courtois, 49, around 10 a.m. yesterday morning, they found even more firearms at his Biddeford home, including a machine gun, and thousands of rounds of ammunition.

(visit the link for the full news article)

This guy is either dumb or it's another false flag. Seriously, what guy going to commit premeditated murder is going to tell the cops what he is planning?

I cannot believe anyone is that dumb so it has to be another false flag. Obama is really greasing the wheels for this whole UN arms ban on 7-27. And the guy was found with...assault rifles just like what the UN is claiming to want to target.

Here's the deal folks, if we allow the government to take their guns, it's not going to stop criminals from getting theirs because theirs comes from the black market, like this fellow's AK-47, so in essence all we did was screw the pooch because now they have their guns and we are easy pickings for criminals and gangs. Obama needs to be removed from office and tried for treason, he's giving the U.S. to a foreign power.
edit on 24-7-2012 by lonewolf19792000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 10:39 AM
link   
reply to post by torqpoc

Any citizen is capable of doing so. Not with a knife, but a pipe bomb. Readily and easily made with off the shelf items from your local hardware store. If people want to kill, they will find a way.

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 10:42 AM
link   
reply to post by JayFlores

Then please explain to me JayFlores, why are so many of the mass murders in the US not done with pipe bombs if they are so easily obtainable?

T

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 10:43 AM
link   
reply to post by torqpoc

On another note: If you are against guns, dont buy one or carry one. But the next time someone decides to make you or your family a victim-DO NOT CALL THE POLICE. They have the guns you are so against.

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 10:44 AM
link   
reply to post by torqpoc

We might have to agree to disagree, but think about this: in a crowded place like a club, or a street fair, how many people a person could just walk around and shank in the kidney with a short knife, and then keep moving through the crowd? Probably a dozen of more without even getting caught.

Poisons, just like illegal drugs, are easy to manufacture, or buy with plenty of legal reasons. Hell, mustard gas is as easy as buying bleach and ammonia cleaners and accidentally mixing them together. People accidentally gas themselves fairly regularly.

Also, just for the record, I put up another thread showing that the majority of mass shootings occur outside the US, and in places with very strict gun control.
edit on 24-7-2012 by getreadyalready because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 10:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by torqpoc

Then please explain to me JayFlores, why are so many of the mass murders in the US not done with pipe bombs if they are so easily obtainable?

T

Not many people know how to make pipe bombs, and if you go to a website that does show how to make I.E.D.'s you will have the FBI crawling up your ass inside an hour.

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 10:45 AM
link   

That was somewhat uncalled for, but don't worry Dear I live in a country where people don't carry guns so readily and were I to be in that situation I wouldn't be so silly as you insinuate.

Now if you're able to keep a cool head let's continue to tango, if not then I bid you farewell.

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 10:48 AM
link   
reply to post by torqpoc

Because it takes effort to make a pipe bomb. Like a whole 10 minutes. Any idiot or coward can pull a trigger which is why a gun is the weapon of choice. You can ban/outlaw guns all you want. The people who intend to do ill will with them will still have them. You think criminals care about the penalty of law? The only people who will give up their guns will be the law abiding/respecting citizens. Felons cant have guns by law. So they obtain them illegally. In most states they face a stiff prison sentence if they get caught with a gun. Doesnt stop them, does it?

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 10:48 AM
link   

I totally agree with you GRA, but again I ask you how many times has that happened in comparison to mass murder committed with guns? I'm talking realism, you (and others) are only talking in comparative terms with no specific events/examples to back them up.

Western world, number of people mass murdered with pipe bombs, gas, poison, shanks etc.. versus number mass murdered with guns. I think the point I am making is valid here.

T

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 10:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by lonewolf19792000

Originally posted by torqpoc

T

Not many people know how to make pipe bombs, and if you go to a website that does show how to make I.E.D.'s you will have the FBI crawling up your ass inside an hour.

We learned it in my high school chemistry class, and even went to a local explosives plant and tested several differen variations of "emulsives" as part of a class project.

Nobody from that class ever blew anyone up though as far as I know. Although I did make some cool fireworks for the kids this month with muriatic acid, aluminum foil, coke bottles, and glitter.

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 10:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by JayFlores
reply to post by torqpoc

Because it takes effort to make a pipe bomb

You just made my entire point.

It actually takes more effort to own a gun, in the US for instance. Yet more crimes committed with guns. Now please explain to me why that is?

How many mass murders in the UK with guns compared to the US in the last 50 years? How many killed?

We have a black market here, you can own a gun here illegally if you wish to. Simply though it doesn't happen as often so there must be a reason for that, right?

Edit - P.S. If I wanted stars all I had to do was brandish my "I love the right to bear arms" card.. blimey you can truly see the favouritism in this post....

T

edit on 24-7-2012 by torqpoc because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 10:52 AM
link   
reply to post by torqpoc

Your point is valid, but I don't think the statistics back it up as much as you think they do. Go check out my other thread. The majority of mass shootings are occurring in Finland, Australia, the UK, Belgium, Germany, Norway, Canada..... all places with extreme gun control. You don't see them happening in places like Switzerland with extreme gun ownership.

The reasons are more likely related to the economy than the gun ownership.

Also, the gun deaths in the US are about double the UK or Germany, but we have 5x the population, so the per capita rate of gun deaths is actually lower than places with strict gun control laws.

Also, our rate includes suicides, whereas other countries do not always report suicides, because they are not always considered crimes or acts of violence. So, if you remove the 50% of gun deaths that are attributed to suicide, our total gun deaths are much, much lower than countries with very few guns.

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 10:53 AM
link   
reply to post by torqpoc

Good for you. And Im not your "Dear". The UK has way more violent assaults than the US. Knife assaults are top, followed by sticks/bats. There is no self defense law there. Once you fight back, you are the criminal. Im sorry, but I prefer to not just lay down and take it from some scum bag. Want to take my property by force? You'll be met with force. Wanna rape my wife? Good luck, she packs too.

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 10:54 AM
link   

Thank you GRA, I will go look at your other thread and educate myself this evening with some statistical comparatives.

Enjoyed the discussion with you, as always.

*tips hat*

T

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 10:57 AM
link   

reply to post by torqpoc

Because it takes effort to make a pipe bomb. Like a whole 10 minutes.

Last Fourth of July I put together a dozen pipe bombs in 10 minutes.

I bet it took a lot longer for Holmes to load that 100 round magazine.

Could have backed a car up to the emergency exit, tossed in a few of those with some shrapnel and been out of there causing more damage, costing only a hundred dollars or less and be gone in less than a minute.

For a "meticulously planned" operation his returns werent impressive at all.

He spent thousands of dollars, at least several hours and didnt get to make use of even a third of his equipment.

Mass murder couldnt have been his goal. Unless he's the dumbest PhD on the planet.

link   
reply to post by torqpoc

Thats where you are wrong. Obtaining a gun LEGALLY in the US is a procedure. Fingerprinting, back round check,I.D., waiting period, etc. Buying one in the ghetto from the local thug that was probably stolen in a break in is very cheap and easy. So, unless you know the facts, dont assume. And look into the statistics on how many guns used in violent crimes were obtained illegally.

link   

reply to post by torqpoc

Good for you. And Im not your "Dear". The UK has way more violent assaults than the US. Knife assaults are top, followed by sticks/bats. There is no self defense law there. Once you fight back, you are the criminal. Im sorry, but I prefer to not just lay down and take it from some scum bag. Want to take my property by force? You'll be met with force. Wanna rape my wife? Good luck, she packs too.

The angst in you is palpable and I am hundreds of miles away. I wonder why that is?

Dear is a term of endearment (see what I did there?) in the UK, it is not meant as an offence or in a pejorative sense. Your post however a little ways back was rude to say the least.

Have a good day JayFlores and I truly hope you and yours are never attacked, unlike you who seems to wish it happens to me only to enforce your point, quite sad really.

T

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 11:02 AM
link   
reply to post by torqpoc

I wish no ill will to anyone. Ever. But you spew without knowledge from another country. I find that to be ignorant, for lack of a better term. The US isnt the gun slinging wild west you picture it to be. Fact is most legal gun owners rarely fire their guns and never carry them.

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9 >>

join