It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Migrating Super Volcano?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 9 2004 @ 02:55 AM
link   
I know you look at this topic and you probably ask yourself "wtf?" There is a reason for this topic. For the sake of this topic I will assume that everyone is familiar with Long Valley and Yellowstone. If you aren't please U2U me. There have been a series of caldera forming events in Yellowstone. Each event has occured slightly to the north and east of the previous event. As the plates move so does the hot spot that created the eruption. This brings me to Long Valley. There was a massive eruption there that created a caldera as well. My question is has this hotspot migrated as well? Back around the 18th of September, 2004 (give or take a day or two) there was a huge swarm of quakes. Several hundred of them. Many of them quite large. This type of activity was unexpected. This activity was also north and east of the Long Valley caldera. My problem is that my printer is now in the big hardware store in the sky and I cannot print out maps to test my theory. What I need....

I need someone to print out a good map of the west. On this map plot the centers of the Long Valley caldera and the centers of each of the major eruptions at Yellowstone. Then plot the center of the earthquake swarm that occured in September. If you connect the center of the Long Valley caldera to the center of the swarm does the path closely match the line connecting the points of the caldera forming events in Yellowstone? Do they head off roughtly the same path to the north east? Also if you draw a line does the line from Long Valley, through the swarm end up in or near Yellowstone?

I want to find out if there is a high probability of this swarm being a warning sign that we may be looking at a new caldera forming event in the future. Is something developing under our noses and scientists haven't figured it out yet?

I would absolutely love your thoughts on this.

posted on Oct, 9 2004 @ 04:43 AM
link   
Well Indy,

I've got a better idea now, of what you are looking for.
I can see hints of what you are talking about, by looking at maps individually. But Am having trouble getting maps of same type, or scale.

This map, I think illustrates the direction of movement doesn't it?
the small cluster of quakes, is the location of Mammoth, and the bigger cluster in the location of the recent swarm..So, a north easterly direction.

Are you looking for a similar lineup, at the Yellowstone location?
A historical progression of eruptions following the same line?

[edit on 9-10-2004 by spacedoubt]

posted on Oct, 9 2004 @ 04:50 AM
link   
Example. The swarm from September 18th... is it northeast or north-northeast of the Long Valley Caldera? Did the series of caldera forming events in Yellowstone drift off in the same direction?

If you start your line at the center of the Long Valley Caldera and connect it to the center of the recent swarm then would this line if drawn straight be in the proximity of Yellowstone?

If the swarm is off to the north... or approximately 40 degrees for example. Do the series of eruptions in Yellowstone drift off in appoximately the same degrees to the north (or northeast or whatever it is)?

posted on Oct, 9 2004 @ 04:52 AM
link   
spacedoubt... that map just shows where the recent event took place. Now we have to find the exact coordinates of the center of the Long Valley Caldera and the coordinates for the centers of the 3 major Yellowstone events.

top topics

join