It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Weather warnings, where did they go?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 01:28 PM
link   
I am sure everyone is aware by now about the Derecho that went threw the east coast a few weeks ago. That night I was watching TV and received absolutely no warning. Suddenly the winds kick up, orange, green, and blue lighting is flashing and I am home alone with small children thinking it's a tornado.

I've noticed since then that when I do see a weather warning it's for counties nowhere near me, but when we get a severe storm (we've had some doozies lately) we haven't seen a single warning. No red line across the top of the TV, and even when I check the weather.com site, they don't even have a warning going when I clearly see it coming on the radar.

A few moments ago it happened again. We had a severe storm come this way, I watched it for about an hour and waited to see the warnings pop up. Nothing. Cloud to ground lighting, torrential rain...all the makings needed to warn people....nothing.

So what's up with that? Is anyone else's weather channel not keeping up? Where I live they will usually drive you nuts with the warnings long before they show up, but since the severe weather has gone up, they have gone down on the warnings.

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 01:29 PM
link   
I do not have any answers for you but here in the middle of mo. I have seen the same thing this year.

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 01:43 PM
link   
I kind of know what you're talking about. I live in Northern Illinois, so we haven't seen much rain or storms this year. However, we had a wicked storm come through here last week that gave absolutely no warning. I didn't even know it was supposed to rain at all that night. Of course, once the storm was going full-force, the severe thunderstorm warnings appeared on the weather channel, but not a minute sooner. It's almost as if these storms are so wild nowadays that not even the top meteorologists can keep up with them. If that's the case, it's quite scary.

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 01:47 PM
link   
reply to post by LittleVoice731

I don't think the weather guys know what is happening anymore from one moment to the next.

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 01:47 PM
link   

dbl post
edit on 23-7-2012 by Char-Lee because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 01:49 PM
link   

Derechos are extremely rare,and extremely fast, barely anyone got a warning, which is why no one was prepared.

Weather channel has reported that there have only been 5 on the east coast, at least of the crazy kind.

They are basically a reverse tornado, and outie.

Other than temps, weather here has been very hard to predict this year. Way too much going on.

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 01:57 PM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

Plenty of time to warn people in Virginia.

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 02:05 PM
link   
I absolutely agree with this thread. Over here we haven't had much rain or storms this summer yet, but when we have, no warnings or crawls either. And just watching the radar it's there clear as day to anyone except to the people not glancing at a computer screen occasionally. When home I have learned to log onto the local weather site every now and then throughout the day just to make sure nothings brewing. Our problem here has been the rain never making it to our county, it's like it just stops or goes right over. And just last night we finally received some rainfall along with the green lighting and nickle size hail at around 4:30 in the am. But no mention of it on the news.

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 02:11 PM
link   
reply to post by jaynkeel

Funny you mention the rain going around or over where you live... I watched a storm make a horse shoe shape around my town, only to come back together on the other side. It was bizarre to say the least. I was just reading about weather manipulation and crops. Where I live there are lots and lots of private farms that do a lot of corn... we have had drought problems in my area, drive an hour away and it's lush and green. This year as been so weird!

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 02:19 PM
link   

Yeah I live smack dab between both lake erie and ontario. Any other year the lakes cause our weather, snow, rain etc. Not this year, now the storms roll off the lakes and seem to only effect the shoreline or inland 5 or 10 miles at best. Then re form hundreds of miles later. It's getting old quick around here, burn bans, everything's just about dead, trees are dropping leaves and browning out. I have lived here 30 yrs and never remember weather this screwed up.

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 02:21 PM
link   

It didn't form into a derecho until the Indiana/Ohio border.

So by looking at the radar, would you know where it is going?

DC got about an hour notice, but Baltimore only got 30 minutes. The cities are only 30-40 mins from each other.

There was no real predictability for this storm.

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 02:22 PM
link   
reply to post by jaynkeel

That would probably have a lot to do with the jet stream in your area, I would imagine.

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 02:26 PM
link   
S&F, OP for introducing me to a derecho. I've been an amateur weather nerd for some time, and have never heard of this phenomenon until today. Had to look it up. I ran across this article about the derecho that hit the US Midwest several weeks ago. Intense Storms called a "Derecho" Slam 700 Miles of the US

The Weather Channel has an alert program that automatically notifies you of severe weather in your area.

In San Francisco, from May through October, it's either sunny/gorgeous or windy/foggy so we have no real need of weather alerts. "Alert! Alert! Get your Ray Bans!"
But, if I still lived in the US South, I would want to know what's going on out there. ('Been through four hurricanes, two tornadoes and a flash flood. I don't like surprises.)

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 02:40 PM
link   
reply to post by graceunderpressure
[more

The Derecho was new for me too, but I did tons of research, watched hours of radar, and basically it got me more interested in the weather all together. I signed up for weather warning text messages and all and my area is still slacking. Perhaps there is just too much going on to keep track of it all, but then again isn't that why there is a national weather service plus local services. Is just makes me wonder if there is anyone looking at the radar at all. Last year we had tons of storms roll through our area, daily it seemed like. We were always warned either through our NWS radio or the TV about coming storms, this year you have a better chance at hearing crickets chirping over that thing than a warning.

I have to know what the weather is, like a lot of people I hang clothes on the line to dry, I have kids who play outside, as well as animals that need to be put away when there is a storm on the way, so for me knowing what's coming on any given day is important.

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 03:08 PM
link   
Good post with good replies. I do believe the meteorologists don't understand it.

My son is a pilot and studied meteorology in college. Not to brag, but to show he knows his stuff - he was top of the class and there was a TV weatherman in his class. He has to stay on top the of weather and has noticed some weird stuff, but he keeps pretty tight lipped about it for the most part.

Yesterday he threw me for a loop when he said it's climate change. He'd be the last person, I'd expect to hear that from as he is one of the least radical idea'd person I know.

If what we are experiencing this summer becomes the norm, we are going to be suffering. Speaking for the Midwest, it's the driest year since the mid 30's when we had the dust bowl. The dryness and the extended triple digit days ruined the corn crops. You know the livestock is hurting as well

My friend said her little pooch won't walk on the dry grass because it hurts his feet. He'd rather walk on the hot concrete.

sad eyed lady

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 03:11 PM
link   
I live in Central Ohio and had about an hour notice before the derecho roared into town. We were fortunate enough to not loose our power like so many others had to endure.

Just returned from a beach in North Carolina where we experienced sustained winds of around 30 mph over the course of two days - never heard how high the wind gusts were. We never heard anything in advance in the weather reports for windy conditions on the first day, but they did forecast windy conditions for the second day. Sunny and hot both days with low humidity - around 30 to 40% during the day. Lifeguards were consistently warning swimmers to come closer to shore and remain in waist deep water. Aircraft used for local advertisements were grounded. Sand was blowing on the beach and umbrellas had to be closed.

Another strange thing that I've not personally seen: winds were strong enough that the water (beach front pool) was splashing outside of the pool. No storms in the area during this time frame, and we had beautiful sunshine both days. Of course we've seen this during a storm, but the wind was so sudden and absolutely crazy!

All week the lifeguards had "Aquatic Hazard" signs posted along the beach due to the rip current.
edit on 23-7-2012 by clook because: Add'tl comment added.

edit on 23-7-2012 by clook because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 03:23 PM
link   
It's happening again! A big nasty storm is on my doorstep, only warnings for the counties to the south of me. Even my 8 year old thinks this is getting nuts, lol! His brother and him just went back out, and he came back in and said "what in this world is happening out there?!" Haha!

Climate change yes! I do think that the Earth goes through stages and we are just alive to see one happening again.
Our grass is non resistant at this point. We haven't mowed for weeded for nearly 4 weeks. We have been hand watering our garden and our well has been weak. Yes we get storms but not enough rain with them.

Still no warning for me.... where are my weather people? Out to lunch?

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 04:00 PM
link   

I agree. It's important to know when bad weather is rolling in, and it's a shame the warnings aren't happening as they should. I wonder how many poor animals suffer as the result of being left out in the storms.

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 11:20 AM
link   
Just got word of another Derecho coming from IL to VA, same path as last time!

top topics

join