It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I Cannot Take Some of You Seriously...

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 01:47 PM
link   
reply to post by VoidHawk

I would much prefer to be a snob as opposed to an under-educated buffoon.

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 01:49 PM
link   
reply to post by facelift

So, because I am NEWLY REGISTERED, I am not entitled to my own opinion of this site? I have been following ATS for years now. I think I can say what I want.

It is funny that people took so much offense to this post. Perhaps, you all are part of the problem?

edit on 23-7-2012 by Amaeus because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 01:53 PM
link   
Also, I thought ATS's slogan was,"DENY IGNORANCE."

Hmm....I am pretty sure that covers ignorance all across the board, does it not?

CX

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 01:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mathoryn

so go fluck yourself

Hope you don't mind me saying but.....you spelt that wrong.

CX.

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 02:05 PM
link   
OP, this isn't an ATS problem. This is a societal problem. Our educational system is a failure, in that they fail to impress upon the student the importance of good written and verbal communication skills in any civilization that hopes to progress. We are in the midst of a social de-evolution.

Having said that. The other members here are right. You will not change this. Some actually take rebellious pride in it. I figure as long as I can read it well enough to get the gist of the posters meaning, all well and good. If I can't, and I feel the need, I will ask them to elaborate.
edit on 7/23/2012 by Klassified because: formatting

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 02:05 PM
link   
I can see how this could bother some people and you are not the first member to start a thread on the topic.

Having said that, you might want to make sure there are no errors in your own posts before you criticize others for the same thing.

I caught at least two just skimming the posts.

CX

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 02:09 PM
link   
I blame mobile phones for the lack of spelling these days. I told my kids the other day, years from now all kids will be like Quasi Modo by the time they are 20.

Just hunched over and spelling badly all day.

CX.

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 03:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Amaeus
reply to post by VoidHawk

I would much prefer to be a snob as opposed to an under-educated buffoon.

So, a person better educated than YOU has the right to call you "an under-educated buffoon" yes?

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 05:05 PM
link   
There used to be a guy on another site that would always correct people's grammer and it drove him crazy. He rarely ever caught me, but when he did I actually appreciated the correction and learned from it. Try gently correcting someone. An all out attack will only piss people off.

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 04:14 AM
link   
I'd be overjoyed if people just learned the differences between there, their, and they're! I agree that the mistakes are a little annoying but like others have pointed out, will probably not change. I will have to say I appreciate when the mods swoop in on the long posts without paragraph structure. They're completely unreadable especially on a smaller screen.

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 04:31 AM
link   

This is true. I always try to be careful, but know that I mess my punctuation up a lot at times. I do try though.
edit on 7/24/2012 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 07:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by Amaeus
reply to post by AfterInfinity

omg guys so i jus got back in from smokin a cigerret and i jus saw flashin light int he sky that made me turn my hed quikly to teh reight and then it flash again and it took control of my body and it made me sit down in the graas. well then i was at my grammas house and tehn this report came on the tv about aleins and it made me think back to when i saw that light in the sky that night and then i walkt in on my mom who was foldin her landry and then she said omg get on the floor then ever body walk the dinosor.

If I ever see posts like that it's generally only in the school holiday's.

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 07:44 AM
link   
Listen. It really just comes down to this: the world is becoming a "texting" society. Abbreviations, phoenetics etc, are the fastest way to communicate...and the world is changing to accomodate it.

U jt hv 2 go alng wt it.

PS Agreed though...that when complete sentences are used...many times the spelling and grammar are not correct. (And Im guilty of that too)
edit on 06-10-2010 by mysterioustranger because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 08:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Amaeus

better than most people who have been alive 30-40 years older than me.

Well, Mr. Grammar Nazi, since you are preaching to the choir, lets look at the above sentence you typed.

I had trouble reading it, because of the construction of the sentence.

A better way of putting it, would have been: "better than most people who are 30-40 years older than me"

Now, English is only my THIRD language, yet, even I could spot that error in your typing.

So yeah mate, don't judge so harshly, everyone makes mistakes, including you.

vvv
edit on 24-7-2012 by VreemdeVlieendeVoorwep because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 09:37 AM
link   
Wow......just.....wow.
How do you know Phage is not a genius? Do you know what his IQ is?
I come to ATS to read the CONTENT.....not how it's written.
I learned to type on an old manual typewriter....can do 80 wpm....other people cannot, and use the "hunt and peck" method (one finger typing).
If this site annoys you so much, perhaps you should find another?
My spelling and grammar are usually pretty good, but I don't get upset when other people make mistakes. I am here to read what they have to say.....not to represent the Grammar Police.
Sorry.....just had to speak up.
Have a nice day.
jacygirl

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 12:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Amaeus

Amaeus, my friend, take a deep breath and calm yourself. Let us reason together

I know of several people with college degrees who have trouble composing a complete sentence with proper punctuation, spelling, and/or grammar. I'm sure that you do also.

I won't insult your intelligence by listing all the reasons that can cause poor grammar and spelling. I'm confident you're already well aware of them.

I would ask you to practice tolerance. Even if a post is poorly structured, the validity of its point remains the same; and that is what we should focus on.

J
edit on 7/25/2012 by LadyJae because: spelling error

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 03:50 PM
link   
reply to post by SilverStarGazer

The problem is not the different meanings, but how similar the words are. Regardless about how much I might know, words of similar pronunciation will often trip me up. It doesn't help that I'm dyslexic.

You really should learn to give people the benefit of the doubt and not really be so obsessed with correct grammer.

edit on 25-7-2012 by EvilSadamClone because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 12:30 AM
link   
reply to post by LadyJae

Sound advice from an insightful person. Thank you.

You are right. It is wrong of me to judge others and even more wrong of me to put myself on a pedestal. I had my reasons for being upset, no matter how irrational they may seem to the next individual.

I apologize for being a snob.

And thank you for your continued support on my threads.

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 12:31 AM
link   
reply to post by VreemdeVlieendeVoorwep

Yep you got me there.

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 01:10 AM
link   
Eye Tipe lyke eye talc.
dun lyke et,
tuff!

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join