It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Penn State fined $60 million, banned from bowl games for 4 years

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 07:45 PM
link   
reply to post by phantomjack

I am with you. Punishing the innocent students and players who now have to change schools to have a future in football is ridiculous. Who is running the NCAA? Obama?

I bet a lot of University's are quietly screaming through the roof. Lets see if Bowden is half the man people think he is. He should stand up and cry foul for this. He wanted his so called friends statue taken down so I think he is not going to care one bit. If FSU had not kept him on as a coach, oops I mean Mascot then he wouldn't have even been close to Joe in wins. Bowden has not coached in the last ten years but they allow him to act like one for recruiting, Yeah right. I bet he is paying FSU!! Not anyone short of a Bobby Bowden nutter fan will ever mention that he is the winning-est coach. Hope your happy Bowden!!! Couldn't win it fair and square so here you go. I wonder if he had a hand in this decision.

I know if I paid for my kids tuition to go to Penn State I would be suing the NCAA for this crap. Most kids go there for the prestige of having a Penn State degree, now because of one man the whole university suffers more. So SO Stupid of a decision.

Horrible decision and I hope it is overturned after people scream loud enough.

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 07:51 PM
link   
Reply to post by getreadyalready

You can speculate as to how many people knew but the fact is only 5 people were found to have had an idea that something was going on. You have the janitor, Macqueary, JoePa, Spanier, and Tim Curly. Of those 5 only 2 directly witnessed something happening, they dropped the ball in my opinion.

There DOES need to be a clear definition so that they cant randomly issues a penalty and just say 'lack of control' without defining it. The NCAAs only concern should be the performance of the football team. They are a sports organization not the police. The authorities are handling this there was no need for them to step in, the just wanted to look good.

Where are you getting all these football coaches from? When Sandusky was accused of molesting a kid in 1998 he was the assistant coach, however he was investigated by police who didnt find any evidence of a crime and let him go. He then retired in 1999, so technically the football department had no clue what he was doing while he was an active coach.

Macqueary was a grad student when he witnessed the abuse he was not an employee of the athletic department yet.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 07:57 PM
link   
reply to post by acmpnsfal

Grad students are still coaches. Some are paid, most are not paid, but might get other benefits like free tuition, but a lot of the time they are still coaches.

Sanduskly was still a coach in his football camp, and the camp was still endorsed by the University. In fact, it seems like the university intentionally allowed him continued access after dismissing him as a coach. I wonder why they would make a concession like that if they knew what he was accused of, and if the accusation was credible enough to warrant his firing? Maybe it was part of a settlement to limit their exposure while also keeping him quiet?

Over in another thread Butcherguy says it was pretty much an open secret that Sandusky liked the young boys, and he goes on later to say he attended a football camp at Penn State, with Sandusky as his linebacker coach, and even back then in the 80's he didn't seem right.

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 08:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by buddhasystem

Originally posted by AGWskeptic

Originally posted by Unity_99

Originally posted by Kastogere
Im not sure how football applies to child molestation. Im sure that if the guy had been a plumber he'd stil have found a way to hang out in the locker room.

The penalties are designed for what exactly? Punish the innocent students for something that a staff member did? Imagine what that does to all of their programs not just sports. This kind of stain doesn't wash off at all. And whats the deal with the statue?

Hmmm yea that makes sense, all this really does is kill the town that the school sits in economically, who wants to go to PSU after this? Pervert Statutory University......

100% Agree . This is extending culpablitiy past the real perpetrators and punishing the innocents. FOR SHAME.

Tell me how these sanctions are hard on the students.

I will, as soon as you tell me how taking $60M out of the school's budget won't have any consequence on the resources available to the school.

Because I think it would then be apt for the fans to hang that head a little lower for 4 years, share the shame in the same way.

Look, I'm sorry... But are you nuts? How does John Doe who loves football and his school is guilty of some pervert's criminal actions, and the cover up staged by the high brass? Why does he need to hang his head low? What DID HE DO?

So you'll take credit for a win, but this you wash your hands of?

Step back look at the situation with fresh eyes.

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 08:20 PM
link   
Reply to post by getreadyalready

You are reading wayyy too much into this. Second Mile is a program for underprivledged kids. The university endorsed it because its one of those make a difference type deals. I went to psu and they were always trying to recruit students to be mentors and to help out with the program.

After Sandusky was accused of doing something Joepa did take steps to protect the kids, although as he himself said, he could have done more. But he did limit Sandusky's access to university facilities as well as made sure he was not left alone with kids on campus.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 08:26 PM
link   
reply to post by buddhasystem

Paterno's last years salary and bonuses totaled 1.2 million bucks.

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 10:01 PM
link   
reply to post by rickymouse

Paterno's last years salary and bonuses totaled 1.2 million bucks.

Urban Meyer's contract with Ohio State is the largest in college football at 4 mill a year.

The cover-up at Penn State was by the administration who didn't want it known about Sandusky, if it had been all about football Paterno would have been fired years ago.

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 10:15 PM
link   
Its about time. I'm disgusted by how many people have elevated sports personalities to Godlike status. That's how this horrible atrocity was allowed to happen in the first place. Sandusky used his status to prey upon young boys. Paterno and the other officials at Penn State used their authority and position to protect him and cover up for him so as not to tarnish their precious football program. Sad. I'm glad the people at the NCAA made an example of that school. Hopefully that will keep others from making similar mistakes.

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 11:10 PM
link   
reply to post by CynicalWabbit

Paterno wasn't really the problem. He told the people above him and they buried it twice. He worked for these people and when you work for someone you do as they say or you quit. If he would have gone to the police they would have somehow gotten rid of him. These colleges are supposed to be controlled by the state, they are public universities. They should clean house of all the corrupted college officials and find new ones. Then they could restore some scholarships and allow them to play unrestricted. College is supposed to be about teaching kids not glorifying football. If the college would have gotten rid of Sandusky when the first incident occured, none of this would have happened. This is all about covering up things and not taking care of problems that exist.
edit on 23-7-2012 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 11:22 PM
link   
The school should never be allowed to have any sports.

Part of the reason why this school won so many games is Paterno and other staff allowed little boys to be raped.
They kept this a secret so their footballs teams image wouldn't be tarnished. This allowed them to keep getting donations, good players and lots of ticket/merchandise sales.

If they cheated during the games, you wouldn't allow them to keep their wins or continue playing. This is no different. They did something immoral for their football team.

Which leads me to another speculation. I think it's strange, Sandusky and Paterno were great coaches who just happened to be immoral in other ways. Perhaps they had methods of cheating. If two people would do something like this, I don't doubt they would do other immoral things like using illegal listening devices. (Maybe this is who they covered up for Sandusky - so he couldn't snitch on them).

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 11:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Daughter2

Wait, what? Please tell me, how raping little boys would yield more victories.......

Is that the yankees secret too?

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 11:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by TKDRL

Wait, what? Please tell me, how raping little boys would yield more victories.......

Is that the yankees secret too?

They allowed it to continue by covering it up. Why do you think they covered it up? It was to keep the untarnished perfect image up. And why did they want to keep this image up? This image brought in great players and plenty of $$$.

And if covering up abuse wasn't serious enough to get kicked out of the program, exactly what is? What could be worse?

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 11:43 PM
link   
reply to post by rickymouse

These colleges are supposed to be controlled by the state, they are public universities. They should clean house of all the corrupted college officials and find new ones. Then they could restore some scholarships and allow them to play unrestricted. College is supposed to be about teaching kids not glorifying football. If the college would have gotten rid of Sandusky when the first incident occured, none of this would have happened. This is all about covering up things and not taking care of problems that exist.

I agree with you completely, i think that there has been a rush to judgement on this and also there has been criticism about how the investigation was handled by Gov. Tom Corbett who was then the State Attorney General and also why Centre County District Attorney, Ray Gricar didn't try to indite Sandusky back in 1998 when he had a police report of two conversations secretly recorded by police of Sandusky admitting to the mother of an 11 year-old boy inappropriate behavior with her son.

To me there are a lot of still unanswered questions about the whole thing.

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 12:11 AM
link   
Yes, because punishing the kids that just want to play football and make something of themselves or are relying upon that scholarship to go to school at all really makes sense. Why are the students being punished for something management did again?

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 12:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Myomistress

The kids can still play football! As for the kids who need scholarships, they can go to another University.

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 12:43 AM
link   

Yeah, but you don't quite understand. They NEED Penn State to get recognized. That's this state's BIGGEST college and most NFL drafters are looking there for future players. If they wanted a future in football or in the NFL, it's practically soiled now unless they're forced to go out of state. And what about the kids that CAN'T go anywhere else for whatever reason? Do they just not go to college and miss out on their education because kids are being punished for the actions of adults before their time with the football program?

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 02:16 AM
link   
Disclaimer: I'm not here to take sides on who was right or wrong, guilty or innocent.

Let's get a couple things straight here:

-Paterno focused his players on academics. Football was not above academics to him. Heck, millions went to the library he helped fund. We have ranked at or near the top for years. You will see evidence of our academia by our #1 spot in football player academics, detailed in the times news article here:

ideas.time.com...

-Secondly, it only makes sense to keep every thing that concerns students (whether they're players or not) untouched. Whether you "understand" or not, no one likes to have their world altered for the worse when they did nothing to deserve it. Football was merely a tradition, if nothing else.

"Well how about the kids that were abused? They didn't get a say!" etc etc. Actually, let's get to that now. Two victims have already voiced their disdain concerning the NCAA decision, stating that they never wanted this for PSU, nor do they think it's a good thing. They believe it's actually a step in the wrong direction. So, this was no longer about the kids the second the now adult "kids" stopped being consulted. Which they never were to begin with. Some gave their opinions though (and they surprisingly sided with PSU, not with the pitchfork mob idea that the public and media has).

Lastly, let's talk about double standards. People are upset that the abuse victims "lives were ruined." On the contrary, many wish to just put it behind them. Some barely remember it. Nobody is listening to them, though. But there are lives that could be ruined. I'm talking about the 40k+ students and 100k+ career searching alumni that now have to worry about ever being fairly judged for having a degree from Penn State, apparently the child rape capitol of the country. You want to talk abuse, talk about being judged by EVERYONE for something you had NOTHING to do with. Something that occurred when they were in elementary school. It's like being on a national employment no-fly list, with massive debt over your head and everyone sneering at you like you're going to be the next to sexually abuse somebody.

But we, the students and alumni, have been humble, taken hits in stride and raised over half a million for child sex abuse, held a candlelight vigil, and are even planning on erecting a statue/ monument in the remembrance of the victims and others that have suffered. Not to mention that we've raised almost 90M for childhood cancer through THON long before this incident, and why? Because we care about the children. _javascript:icon('
')

A wolf in the hen house doesn't mean you start tearing away at the hen house even AFTER the wolf has been removed. The hens are the innocent students, and you're chipping away at their points of pride both in athletic achievement and employability.

Stop asking how the students were ever affected by the events/ decision, because there's your answer.

I just joined this site. The site whose slogan is "deny ignorance", and yet most of what I've seen on this thread are people propagating and perpetuating ignorance and wild conjecture whilst following the mob mentality. Please stop using the media and mob phrases like "football was above even academics" and "The victims lives are in ruins" etc because it wasn't and they aren't.

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 05:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by rickymouse
reply to post by CynicalWabbit

Paterno wasn't really the problem. He told the people above him and they buried it twice. He worked for these people and when you work for someone you do as they say or you quit. If he would have gone to the police they would have somehow gotten rid of him.

Let me get it straight, you are saying that if you believe there is child r4pe being committed, you'll keep it hush and don't tell LEA because of fear to lose your job?

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 08:59 AM
link   
reply to post by buddhasystem

I think that is exactly what happened here. The Grad Student/Witness got a full-time coaching gig, and everyone else kept their jobs, and Sandusky got pushed out, but still with enough access to keep doing what he was doing.

There were multiple people here that could have stood up and done what was right, but they all looked out for themselves. JoePa wasn't in any danger of being fired, and if he had been fired there are 1000 Universities that would have hired him, but instead of doing what was right, he played along in the good ol' boy system. The Grad Student could have done what was right, but when he approached Paterno and the Admin, they assured him it was taken care of, and they rewarded him with his dream job.

This was a disgusting example of looking out for #1, protecting the system, and sacrificing the children.

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 09:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by getreadyalready
This was a disgusting example of looking out for #1, protecting the system, and sacrificing the children.

You are right... And I'm frankly heart-broken.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join