It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Penn State fined $60 million, banned from bowl games for 4 years

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 08:28 AM
link   

Penn State fined $60 million, banned from bowl games for 4 years

www2.timesdispatch.com

The NCAA has fined Penn State fined $60 million, banned the university from bowl games for four years and ordered it to vacate victories from 1998 to 2011.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 08:28 AM
link   
Stiff sanctions against the Penn State football program for its culpability in a heinous child molestation scandal.

The statue came down yesterday. Today a crippling blow was dealt to the entire program. As I like to say, powerful demons demands powerful exorcisms. And though this situation is tragic, it is necessary to set a stern precedent for an unprecedentedly gross crime.

www2.timesdispatch.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 08:36 AM
link   
Im not sure how football applies to child molestation. Im sure that if the guy had been a plumber he'd stil have found a way to hang out in the locker room.

The penalties are designed for what exactly? Punish the innocent students for something that a staff member did? Imagine what that does to all of their programs not just sports. This kind of stain doesn't wash off at all. And whats the deal with the statue?

Hmmm yea that makes sense, all this really does is kill the town that the school sits in economically, who wants to go to PSU after this? Pervert Statutory University......

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 08:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kastogere
Im not sure how football applies to child molestation. Im sure that if the guy had been a plumber he'd stil have found a way to hang out in the locker room.

The penalties are designed for what exactly? Punish the innocent students for something that a staff member did? Imagine what that does to all of their programs not just sports. This kind of stain doesn't wash off at all. And whats the deal with the statue?

Hmmm yea that makes sense, all this really does is kill the town that the school sits in economically, who wants to go to PSU after this? Pervert Statutory University......

Do some research. The scandal has very much to do with the football program.

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 08:55 AM
link   
reply to post by djr33222

That punishment seems light for the circumstances. 4 years with no bowl games is nothing. They didn't punish the athletics department as a whole, and they only fined it a single year's football revenue. This is a weak punishment.

BUT, I'm happy to say that my coach Bobby Bowden is once again the Winningest Football Coach in College Football History! With Penn State abandoning a decade of wins, Bobby is WAY out in front of JoePa now! Florida State might have had a handful of players get into trouble, but there is no way something like this would have gotten by Bobby. The Penn State admin, including JoePa, put public relations and financial liability ahead of safety for kids. I have no problem with Bobby taking the crown this way, because JoePa should have managed his team and his coaches better and taken appropriate action at the time.

Not only should that scum Sandusky have been fired, banned, from the campus, and prosecuted, he really shouldn't have ever lived to see trial!

I'm ashamed of the NCAA for what they do to student-athletes over the smallest of incidences like getting a discount on merchandise, or getting a loaner car, and they throw the book at them, but here we have an environment of child-rape for a decade, and they get 1 year of fines, and 4 years of no bowl games? Ridiculous.

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 08:56 AM
link   
Reply to post by capone1

I dont think it matters that staff within the football department were involved in this scandal. The fact is this has nothing to do with the NCAA. PSU did not violate NCAA rules in any way, shape, or form. Therefore they should not be handing out punishments, its outside their jurisdiction.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 09:01 AM
link   
Reply to post by getreadyalready

I dont think you understand how much the NCAAs penalties will cripple to football program. The fines are not that steep, but they are also revoking grants that fund scholarships and giving student athletes free agency. So any other big ten and poach them and they can leave no questions ask. So basically they have less scholarships to offer students they are trying to recruit and athletes can leave the program any time they want. Add in the fact that new athletes will most likely not want to play for PSU and its a death sentence for the program. Also bowl games are a huge deal.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 09:05 AM
link   
For some reason in this country whenever anyone manages to get our blood pressure up we seem to embrace collective punishment....nothing like destroying the academic dreams of 10's of 1000's of students to make everyone "feel beetter".

Not to mention that this entire process was done outside of the established protocall for making descisions such as this. More or less academic dictatorship at work here.

You know come to think of it.... we should rip apart the academic, and athletic programs at Virginia Tech for what that shooter did. After all they should have really know better, and done something about it. *sarcasm*

edit on 23-7-2012 by Shark_Feeder because: Spelling...

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 09:14 AM
link   
reply to post by capone1

Ah yes, now I see thanks for the direction....ya thats pretty weak punishment indeed....

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 09:15 AM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

I totally agree with you. I am of the radical opinion that Penn State football should be exterminated altogether. Imagine how posterity would feel every time they gazed at Joe's larger than life statue (if it had not been taken down) - it certainly, i hope, wouldn't be pride in a good football coach but shame and disappointment that a 'heroic' figure would leave so much humanity shattered in his wake. Screw his victories! I'm glad they took a decade of work from him, he didn't deserve it. Maybe this will make people, Penn State alum in particular, stop obsessing over football as a golden idol of worship.

The 60 million dollars, all of it as far as I know, is going to a new child abuse fund. It may not be much to the university seeing as how it has over a billion dollar endowment but at least it is going to a good cause.
edit on 23-7-2012 by djr33222 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 09:21 AM
link   
May be part of the logic is that the staff was trying to prepare and win games instead of looking into crimes that were occurring. Revealing this probably would have destroyed the season in progress.

Does seem to be punishing everyone for the actions of a few.

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 09:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by Shark_Feeder
For some reason in this country whenever anyone manages to get our blood pressure up we seem to embrace collective punishment....nothing like destroying the academic dreams of 10's of 1000's of students to make everyone "feel beetter".

Not to mention that this entire process was done outside of the established protocall for making descisions such as this. More or less academic dictatorship at work here.

You know come to think of it.... we should rip apart the academic, and athletic programs at Virginia Tech for what that shooter did. After all they should have really know better, and done something about it. *sarcasm*

edit on 23-7-2012 by Shark_Feeder because: Spelling...

"destroying academic dreams"??...by NOT participating in bowl games??...i didn't know a college needed "bowl games" as a pre-requisite to qualify for bachelors, masters, and doctorate degrees for the students.

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 09:28 AM
link   
reply to post by djr33222

I hope the $6 million is spread out to all the victims

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 09:58 AM
link   
These penalties do NOTHING to fix the problem, nor, do they do anything to punish the people involved.

This does nothing more than punish an entire university, its heritage, and its students for the actions of a few.

To try to REWRITE history, and take away wins is just ridiculous. Penn State football won those games, and that can not be taken away.

They didn't win those games because Sundusky was *&ucking boys in the showers. So why should these football players be punished?

Joe Paterno didn't become winningest coach because of this coverup! Why is he being stripped of something that is completely unrelated?

I AM IN NO WAY SUPPORTING THE BEHAVIOR. BUT TO PUNISH THE UNIVERSITY LIKE THIS IS DISINGENUOUS

Do you want to know what I think? $60 million bucks. It was an easy pay day for the NCAA.

Its all about the money.

I am in no way a fan of Penn State. I never liked Paterno. And, I attended football camp there in 1981, where, Jerry Sandusky was my linebacker coach. I didnt like him then, and I dont like him now.

However, Penn State as a whole should not be punished like this. Its all about the money.

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 10:03 AM
link   
reply to post by phantomjack

Are you saying then that Sandusky had absolutely nothing to do with any of those wins. Sandusky should not have been there period. Why do you think it was covered up? Because Paterno and Sandusky where a team in themselves and Paterno would have lost his right hand man.

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 10:04 AM
link   
reply to post by phantomjack

I am in no way a fan of Penn State. I never liked Paterno. And, I attended football camp there in 1981, where, Jerry Sandusky was my linebacker coach. I didnt like him then, and I dont like him now.

Dam, now that is a scary thought!

I wonder how many kids there are that we never heard about?

The problem here is that Paterno was alerted, and didn't follow up, and the Admin was alerted, and instead of taking definitive action, they turned into loss prevention tactics and moved to distance themselves from him instead of actually taking action. Even the supposed eye witness in my opinion is a criminal for failing to act at that very moment. The allegations here are big enough, and encompassed a long enough period of time, and enough people were aware that I believe the punishment is more than appropriate, probably even light. If anyone along the way had actually taken a little responsibility, the victim list might be a lot shorter. BUT, instead of taking that personal responsibility, they moved to create distance and plausible deniability.

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 10:11 AM
link   
I actually think this punishes the wrong people, athletes past, present and future that had nothing to do with it. A much deeper investigation needs to take place and any individuals involved need to be fired or stripped of awards etc... Let the rest of Penn State move on. The money brought in by high ranking athletic programs extends to all students and faculty, it isn't fair to lower innocent people's quality of life or education.

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 10:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kali74
I actually think this punishes the wrong people, athletes past, present and future that had nothing to do with it. A much deeper investigation needs to take place and any individuals involved need to be fired or stripped of awards etc... Let the rest of Penn State move on. The money brought in by high ranking athletic programs extends to all students and faculty, it isn't fair to lower innocent people's quality of life or education.

I'm with you--it's definitely punishing the wrong people.

Yes, it's impossible to untangle those who were guilty from the football program as a whole, but I think there are other more appropriate avenues available to punish the guilty.

I'll admit that I am not an expert on Penn State, but I feel sorry for all of the students who are going to be affected--one of whom is my cousin, who will be a freshman this fall. No, it isn't going to ruin her life, but it will take away some of the pleasure of her college experience. The college experience is more than just classes. Some of my best memories from college involved football games.

I'm definitely not excusing the actions of the guilty, and think their actions were horrific. My heart breaks for the victims. But I think the NCAA got it wrong.

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 10:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kali74
it isn't fair to lower innocent people's quality of life.

How about the quality of life of the innocent children raped by a big burly football coach.

Or what was done to the psyche of the kid who was assaulted in Sandusky's home, who screamed for help while the man's wife pretended not to hear.

And I bet there is at least one person who has committed suicide because they couldn't cope with being raped as a kid, therefore we will never know about their story or the true extent of the crimes committed by Jerry Sandusky. This all could have been prevented.
edit on 23-7-2012 by djr33222 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 11:09 AM
link   
I think it was a light penalty. The officials covered up the violent rape of little children to protect a football program. They decided they would not take any action and protect a criminal because it would have damaged the program. Football is not the point of college the culture has to change.

Any student who is currently on the team can transfer without a penalty, and If on a scholarship can keep the scholarship.

The NCAA has to send a strong message that you cannot put a stupid game above the well being of human, especially children.
edit on 23-7-2012 by drock905 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join