It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Healthy Home Recipies

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 03:10 AM
link   
This thread is for peoples home recipies that they want to share that promote healthy living. I will start with my Curry recipie.

Serves 3 to 4

Ingredients

1 Whole White Onion
2 Large Vine Tomatos
1 Tin chopped plum tomato
100g Tomato Puree
Half Clove Garlic
3 Large Chillie peppers
Madras Curry Powder
Tumeric Powder
Paprika
Handful of fresh corriander
2 large Chicken Breasts

Preperation

1)Peel onion and chop into quadrants and place ready into blender.
2) Wash Vine Tomato and place into blender along with contents of tinned tomatos and tomato puree.
3) Peel garlic and place whole into blender along with coriander.
4) remove stalk and seeds from chillie peppers and place into blender.
5) Add 2 table spoons of madrass powder and 1 tea spoon of tumeric and 1 teaspoon of paprika into blender.
6) Blend until a smooth sauce.
7) chop chicken breast into small cubes and then shallow fry until lightly browned on all sides.
8) Add sauce and simmer for 20 minutes.
9) serve in a bowl with rice or Naan bread

Enjoy
edit on 23-7-2012 by michael1983l because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 04:23 AM
link   
reply to post by michael1983l

Great thread and many will benefit.

Let's get down to it...

Bread that anyone can make with minimal ingredients:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

SNF

Peace

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 09:21 AM
link   
mmm curry, you know i can really use some of your recipes.
perhaps we can exchange some?
i have a few herbal remedies up my sleeve and i always wanted to learn to make curry.

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 05:27 PM
link   
Did anybody try the recipie, I'd be interested in the feedback?

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 04:01 AM
link   
I follow your tips thanks

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 06:02 AM
link   
Chili dog?
really?
Low guilt chili dogs, anyway!

Ok so the dog is not so healthy, but the chili can be.

Cook up 1 cup of of Quinoa...In a rice cooker..! part Quinoa, 2 parts water...When it's done, the little root in the seed will unfurl. While it's cooking, add chopped tomatoes..a lot of them..Perhaps the equivalent of 2 cans of chopped tomato. Add garlic to taste, I like a lot. either..Powdered garlic or the chopped from a jar. Add lots of chili powder. After all it's chili.

A few pinches of allspice. Finely diced onion...As much as you can handle...This is a "to taste" recipe.
Add one can of beans,pour off the sauce.and add the beans. Kidney beans are my favorite. let it simmer in your rice cooker for a while, until the flavors are melded. and finally add some hot sauce or ground cayenne. pepper.

Taste it a few times as it cooks, you'll know when it's ready..
Put the dogs in the buns and pile on the quinoa chili....Its delicious..and healthier than regular hot dog chili.

Some of my friends just roll it up i a burrito and eat it that way.
Give it a shot..you might like it..

BTW, the best price I have found for quinoa, a very healthy grain-like food..is at Costco. a little over 2 bucks per pound, already rinsed. The brand name is Tru-Roots, in a Green resealable bag..

I also use a little in my spaghetti sauce...To use less meat. Look up the nutrition info...It could be considered a "superfood".

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 08:12 AM
link   
The curry recipe sounds yummy. I have a bunch of jalepenos peppers in my garden and will use some your recipe.

Here is my all time favorite recipe I make once a week instead of buying processed muffins to eat in the morning:

Banana Flax Bread

1 3/4 cups unbleached white flour
3/4 ground flax seed (I grind my own seeds in a coffee grinder as needed)
3/4 cup brown sugar (I prefer a little less)
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 tbs ground cinnamon
2 eggs
1/2 cup oil (I use coconut oil)
1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
2- 3 very ripe bananas or 1 cup (can use a jar of baby food)
Topping: 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
1/4 cup brown sugar (I omit)
generous sprinkling of cinnamon
preheat oven 350 F
Grease 8 1/2" x 4 1/2" loaf pan
Mix together: flour, flax, sugar, baking powder and soda, salt and cinnamon. Put aside.
In large bowl, beat together eggs, oil, and applesauce.
Add dry ingredients and bananas alternately into wet ingredients. Stir until just moistened.
Pour in pan.
Combine topping ingredients and sprinkle over pan. Pat firmly into batter.
Bake 55 - 60 minutes. Check for doneness with a toothpick. If it comes out clean in the middle, its done.
Cool in pan.

I shop for fresh produce in a local Farmers Market, where they sell fresh flax seeds. I'm sure a good health food store would carry them as well. The nutritional benefits of flaxseed, whether in ground or oil form is made up of
phytoestrogens, plant chemicals that bind to estrogen receptors in the body and help reduce overall estrogen activity. It works wonders for those experiencing hot flashes and wards off seasonal affective disorders (SAD). Some reports say it also helps with memory concentration, reduces irritable bowel symptom flare ups and helps control high cholestrol. The omega 3 oils in flaxseed help with dry skin and joint pain as well.

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 05:53 PM
link   
reply to post by spacedoubt

Thanks for the tip on cooking quinoa in the rice cooker. I recently purchased a Rival Rice Cooker and so far haven't had much luck cooking rice. I followed the instructions using the cheap plastic measuring cup they provide and added 1/4 cup long grain rice and then added water in the metal pan to the 1 cup mark. The rice came out so thick and gummy it was inedible. I wish the rice cookers spent more time in specific measurements of different grains and water. I even tried "googling" how to use a rice maker and was still confused. When I cooked the rice I figured being I'm using the least amount in the measuring cup that the water level would be likewise, the least amount denoted. Are you measuring your grains from a standard measuring cup and following directions on the package? I remember reading that you needed to use the cup and bowl markings for the precise amounts needed for your rice cooker. So to recap: for quinoa, I can use one cup (not the flimsy plastic cup they gave me) and two cups of water and it will cook to the right consistency? Can I ask how you successfully cook rice using long grain and jasmine? Thanks!

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 09:00 PM
link   
I typically use the 2 to one ratio.
i rice, 2 waters.
the Basmanti, is about the same.
The glutinous rices, like the short grains, I stay away from.

But You can usually stick to a 2 to 1 ratio, and it works most of the time. If not...Make a slight adjustment one way or the other. I also add a little olive oil to rices, and Quinoa.. Keeps them from bubbling over.
And maybe a little shake or two of bullion poweder...for flavor, depending on the dish.

and you can use the quinoa as a substitute for Rice in many dishes....Or cook it up similar to couscous.
One of my favorite new OLD foods is quinoa.....It's a really ancient food source, rediscovered..Lots of proteins..
And a little goes a long way.

join