It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

‘America In Decline’: Mitt Romney Gets Grim Warning From Australian Leader

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 01:47 AM
link   
The Blaze -- July 22, 2012

Mitt Romney had a meeting with Australian Foreign Minister Bob Carr and they discussed the "decline" of America and how the U.S. Government can raise its perception by world leaders with at least getting some kind of a deficit reducing budget in place.

The Australian foreign minister has privately warned Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney that foreign leaders see “America in decline.”

That’s according to Romney, who says he met with Foreign Minister Bob Carr in a San Francisco hotel Sunday evening shortly before a Republican fundraiser.

Romney says Carr suggested that America could improve that international perception “with one budget deal” that helps balance the budget.

The article mentions Obama's (failed?) campaign talk of "restoring" America’s image to the rest of the world after eight years of George W. Bush.

I wonder if Mr. Carr will meet with Obama ?

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 02:11 AM
link   
The crazy thing about this.... Bob Carr has got some brass ones.

Who the hell does he think he is?

Bob Carr may be telling him how it is, but in the open?

Amazing.

Why would Carr meet with Obama?

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 02:14 AM
link   
I dare say, one budget deal could simply be covered by passing a budget at all. Any budget would do. A big one. A little one. Any budget1

There is no time left to change it now, so I guess it's as good as official. Obama has another first. He's the first President to fail to oversee a Budget being passed his entire term in Office. I'm sure that's not quite the 'Yes we can!' he had mind in 2008 but believe it or not, April of 2009 was the last budget this Government passed through the Senate, as a budget. That was holdover from Bush.

Now it's little wonder that other nations are starting to worry about us. This whole Senate passing a budget thing they've found too inconvenient, isn't just a good idea. It's actually a legal requirement so important, the Constitution defines and regulates it. That's been blown off. Some previous election years have gone without a formal budget for politics...but this is the first perfect run for the term. Half 100% Dem Congress and Half Split. Party doesn't seem to be the issue here.

I'd say that would have to make the international community more than a little uncertain. Heck, what is there to be certain about, literally? It isn't there....no budget.

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 02:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000

Now it's little wonder that other nations are starting to worry about us.

I usually agree with everything you say Wrabbit, but let's not kid ourselves. The world has been worrying about us for quite some time now but no one, until Mr.Carr, seems to have had the pair to actually say it to our face.

It's like a kid finally stood up to the schoolyard bully and said "You're stupid".

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 02:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Taupin Desciple

You're right on this of course and on agreeing here, I probably make no friends with some others. Oh well... I don't follow a set ideology and none make 100% sense. The fact is that I've watched what America was in the late 80's and into the early 90's, across 3 Presidents with what America has become now in the time it took for 2. It's not a pretty contrast by any stretch. I try not to think of the enormity of that though....because there are always those 16 trillion reasons that nothing we do avoids one heck of a painful period eventually.

In budgetary terms? Well, just passing a budget and not Authorization bills and Spending Measures would be a good start in that specific area, right? They have to start somewhere and I don't think they'll agree to just resigning en masse so we we can get some intelligence into Congress, as much as we'd sure love it, right?

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 02:46 AM
link   
honestly, it is dead..

Reading some of the comments online people can see how undeserving of a democracy we are. A free society is prosperous. A dictatorship is only profitable to a few who lead. You can't measure success by their ability to be successful since the game is rigged by them.

If people are hungry, homeless, uneducated, and tired, they are part of a failed country.

We are those as a whole and more.

“Those who desire to give up freedom in order to gain security will not have, nor do they deserve, either one.”
Benjamin Franklin

edit on 23-7-2012 by BIHOTZ because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 03:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000

In budgetary terms? Well, just passing a budget and not Authorization bills and Spending Measures would be a good start in that specific area, right?

Right. This country needs to be run like a business in that regard, not some kind of political game to keep the players re-elected.

A budget specifies how much goes where based on priorities. Ask anybody who has their own business or manages one. A spending measure simply points out a specific amount, while an authorization bill simply says "Yes, spend it". You can't have trillions of dollars at your disposal and be that vague about it. That's financial suicide.

We don't have leaders in Washington who know what they're doing and there needs to be more people like Mr. Carr all around the world to stand up and actually say so. Then, maybe, some things will actually start getting done around here.

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 03:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by BIHOTZ

If people are hungry, homeless, uneducated, and tired, they are part of a failed country.

We are those as a whole and more.

edit on 23-7-2012 by BIHOTZ because: (no reason given)

Thank you for clarifying that for people. Now what we need, like I was telling Wrabbit, is for leaders around the world to start stepping up and telling our leaders the same thing. We can tell them till we're blue in face but it won't do any good because we're simply the people who voted them in. We don't know how things are supposed to be run so there is absolutely no respect there from them to us. There are a few left who actually want to do the right thing by the American people, but they're too few and far between at this point.

But most of them are arrogant and they need to be knocked back down to size IMHO.

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 04:34 AM
link   
Why would he meet Romney,,,he is a nobody and will NEVER be president,,does Carr think he is something other than a distraction or actually was meantto be elected prez....not gonna happen

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 09:55 AM
link   
reply to post by avatard

Please try to recall for appearances sake, if nothing else. Polls since the 1996 elections have pretty well shown the United States in a 50/50 split between conservative and liberal. Neither side likes a stalemate and both sides have denied that factually accurate statistic more than once. The numbers are the numbers though, so in the crap shoot of American politics after the last couple elections? I don't rule anything in or out until it's over and done.

Heck..in this crazy cycle, Paul isn't even totally written off for running in my mind until after Tampa. The way this has all been going? A Piano could just fall from the sky and leave Paul standing alone. Who knows anymore. Romney is a 50/50 shot and last I checked the numbers, running better actually.

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 10:12 AM
link   
SO much here Xue...

Originally posted by xuenchen
The Blaze -- July 22, 2012

The Australian foreign minister has privately warned Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney that foreign leaders see “America in decline.”

"Privately"? Then why are we reading about it? Did some reporter overhear? Who the hell is Bob Carr and why do I care?

That’s according to Romney, who says he met with Foreign Minister Bob Carr in a San Francisco hotel Sunday evening shortly before a Republican fundraiser.

Oh...So this is what the Foriegn Minister of Australia said "according to Romney"....

Romney says Carr suggested that America could improve that international perception “with one budget deal” that helps balance the budget.

Sounds like what the S&P said when they downgraded the country after the GOP refused to sign a long-term balanced deal. Actually the GOP wanted to default altogether? Remember? Or are we pretending that never happened?

The GOP have been loud and proud about thier obstructionism. I think Carr was hoping Romney would get the message.

Bob Carr certainly did not knock the President....Mitt Romney sure did while talking to a Foriegn Minister...

If Romney wants to trash talk about the USA with other countries...have at it. Just one more reason he is unqualified for the highest office.

edit on 23-7-2012 by Indigo5 because: (no reason given)

edit on 23-7-2012 by Indigo5 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 10:27 AM
link   
Too bad Bob Carr didn't have such a good radar to sus out decline when he was Premier of NSW.
This place still hasn't recovered.
Mitt Romney - Ignore the clown. We all do.

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 11:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by Flighty

Mitt Romney - Ignore the clown. We all do.

He may be a clown but he did say what everyone else was thinking.

You gotta give the clown that.

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 01:42 PM
link   
reply to post by xuenchen

America is in decline and Obama only made it worse.

Clearly, his economic policies have failed.

The next GDP numbers coming out are going to be terrible.

top topics

join