It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Folk Metal songs

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 12:41 AM
link   
Hello to all who have entered this thread. You have done so either out of curiosity regarding Folk metal or would like to discuss Folk metal. I encourage everyone to post what they know about Folk metal for those who are new to the music genre.

Folk Metal

I made this thread because this is my favorite genre of metal and would like people to place their favorite songs here for all of us to view. Allow me to begin:

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 01:18 AM
link   
I wish I could SNF many times over...Thank you!

Amazing sounds...old, new, melodic, Dirty & Sweet, powerful...

As a musician myself I have grown tired of the same old rehashed crap out there but I have now found a new passion that I will endlessly search for...Folk Metal!

Arkona...Wow!

What more can I say but thanks again!

Peace

edit on 23-7-2012 by jude11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 01:28 AM
link   
reply to post by jude11

Is this your first encounter with Folk Metal?

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 01:41 AM
link   
I got a few I can contribute!

Enjoy!
edit on 23-7-2012 by Dark Master because: Fix the links

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 01:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by Misoir
reply to post by jude11

Is this your first encounter with Folk Metal?

Yes.

i gave up looking and listening for new genres a long time ago because it got to be an exercise in futility. Just everyone copying each other and rehashing the old.

I love Folk and over the last 15 yrs have developed an appreciation for unique and technical Metal but this my first for Folk Metal and I absolutely love it.

I am so excited that I can search, discover and appreciate something new for myself.
This is right up my alley:

Peace

edit on 23-7-2012 by jude11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 02:03 AM
link   
I play guitar in local metal bands in my town im one of the best guys in my area i love folk metal its one of the best unknown genres of music.

a good band to look up that i havent seen listed is

ELUVEITIE

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 02:19 AM
link   
reply to post by jude11

I really like that band too.

This song of theirs is just as good, if not better, than the one I posted before. It is a bit more fast paced though.

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 03:04 AM
link   

reply to post by jude11

I really like that band too.

This song of theirs is just as good, if not better, than the one I posted before. It is a bit more fast paced though.

Fast paced is good. I appreciate the technical approach rather than thrash and bash. Heavy, fast and technical are all good in my books along with vocals that aren't just scream and growl.

This is my style of Metal.

Peace

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 03:08 AM
link   
reply to post by jude11

I hate metal with scream and growl type of singing. It is just ridiculous, imo. If some people like that, good for them, but when I hear a song that has it I just turn the song off.

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 03:16 AM
link   

reply to post by jude11

I hate metal with scream and growl type of singing. It is just ridiculous, imo. If some people like that, good for them, but when I hear a song that has it I just turn the song off.

Scream and growl has its place but Metal can and is so much more IMO.

Sometimes it fits but there is a time when melody has so much power in Metal.

peace

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 10:41 AM
link   
Can't believe nobody's posted Korpiklaani yet!

...Or Finntroll.

And I know its not strictly folk metal, but Bathory's "Viking" era with both Nordland 1&2, Hammerheart, and one of the best metal albums ever written.... Twilight of the Gods, all deserving a mention

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 11:05 AM
link   
Question - does it include covers of old folks songs? Like "Whiskey in the Jar" most recently by Metalica or any the covers of old Irish songs by bands like Drop Kick Murphys?

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 11:06 AM
link   
Cor, thanks for this thread.
As a Steeleye Span fan, I thought that was as far as the genre went i.e. folk rock as was, and it was roundly slammed by folk purists when they first produced it - sell-out etc.
I had never heard of this stuff and am looking forward to listening to it all.
'Ride on' is a song that I love, I have only ever heard it sung by Christy Moore, it's not as 'growly' as the version that you have linked but good nevertheless (Imho).

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 04:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Frogs

"Whiskey in the bottle", if it is folk-oriented song (I have never heard it so I cannot say) but is sung by Metallica then it would at least be a metal song. Dropkick Murphy's are not a metal band, they are punk rock.

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 06:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Misoir

I think he means 'Whiskey in the Jar', off Garage Inc. (by Metallica).

I would have to say no, it's not Folk Metal, as they don't use any Folk instruments along with it. It's just a metal cover of a folk song, I'm afraid. Still a pretty good cover, though!

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 09:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Misoir

Misoir, very interesting thread. Much appreciate you bringing new music to my ears. A little history, though, before I go on.

I am that guy, the one all my (few) friends come to when they heed to know something rock n roll related. I could easily Stump the Trunk on that Metal Show and if I ever get to L.A. when they film, I will. I get many questions right that he misses although he's had a radio show for thirty years and has a decided advantage over me.

I listened to the songs in your OP up to Mago De Oz, which I and my friend both found to be the most interesting of the lot up to that point. Most of what I heard would fall under the Power Metal genre, IMHO, that is if you are into the Metal Evolution show and his take on the whole thing. Helloween, Gamma Ray, Nightwish, Blind Guardian, etc., I'm sure you get my point. That's a genre I'm not totally unfamiliar with as Helloween and Gamma Ray have been favorites for over twenty years. I'm no stranger to odd instruments in rock as I grew up on the likes of Jethro Tull and Kansas(my first concert, interestingly) so this is kind of up my alley, so to speak.

Others though I don't think can go into the Power Metal category. Very cool to hear something a bit different, even though I'm a jaded old fart who has "heard it all" and takes a bit to impress. Too much frakking prog rock over the yeras and I've really turned into a prog snob. Never thought I'd see that day, I tried to avoid it but It's unavoidable, I yam what I yam.

I'll keep delving and see what really grabs me. There is a full concert on the Mago De Oz page that looks to be my first job to tackle. Seeing a band live always is better, tells who they really are, so I'll check back later with my take on that show.

One of the bands made my buddy think of The Folksmen, which I thought was a bit funny. It almost was a cross between The Folksmen and Spinal Tap(for those that don't know, they are the same guys, both fictional bands. Mostly).

Thanks, and Cheers!

posted on Jul, 29 2012 @ 06:05 PM
link   
Ive been looking around the metal scene for quite a while now, like 7,8years and I know most people dont like it since there are alot of growls but as im a guitarist, I focus more on the guitar melodies so the vocals dont really bother me if at least it sounds good to my ears. I can find beauty in songs that could be seen as very disturbing or too extreme but I think you always need to seek out the best out of it all

There are indeed alot of metal bands that are really ''Too much'' and have some unusual appearance or ideas behind it all, and I could mention a few that are really popular but should be avoided I think. lol But i wont get into that. I think sometimes the image somebody is trying to set for himself or for the band can really mess up with the brains of the weaks.

Ok so this was just a little introduction, I know alot of Folk Metal bands that are great and should be known to others.

I also wanna add that theres a few distinct categories that belongs to Folk Metal,
which are : Pagan Metal / Viking Metal / Pirate Metal / Celtic Metal and prolly more that im not aware of at this moment.

I will tell some of them that are really worth a try.

Agalloch Amon Amarth Noumena Cadacross
Eluveitie Summoning Suidakra Equilibrium
Kampfar Utlagr Wulfgar Welicoruss
Windir Vreid Ensiferum Slechtvalk

I hope you enjoy.

edit on 29-7-2012 by InS0MnI because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 29 2012 @ 06:19 PM
link   
I've got a new favorite thread. There's some AWESOME music here. Thank you. The only thing I can think of to add to it is a Danish band. Volbeat:

posted on Jul, 29 2012 @ 06:27 PM
link   
folk metal, thats like the liver & onions of the musical world.
you should make a thread on ats , dont forget to embed a thousand youtube videos.

top topics

join