It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UPS Battery Pack Thing

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 22 2012 @ 10:32 PM
link   
I have one of those UPS battery pack things. I moved some furniture around, and now the awful contraption is click/beeping constantly. Like it is flipping on and off. It's not the same sound it makes when the batteries are dying. I know this is a computer forum help... but does anyone have any idea what might be wrong with this thing? It's driving me crazy, and I don't really want to have to unplug everything... And yes, (I repeat, YES) I checked to make sure it is still plugged all the way into the wall! Please help, I HATE trying to deal with tech issues.

posted on Jul, 22 2012 @ 10:35 PM
link   
sounds like it may be tripping the internal fuse for some reason. Short perhaps, make sure its plugged into a surge protector as well.

posted on Jul, 22 2012 @ 10:47 PM
link   
read the instruction booklet or if you don't have one go to the manufactures website and see if you can find the manual there.

posted on Jul, 22 2012 @ 10:55 PM
link   
The battery connections (Could be loose); I had one doing the same thing... It ended up being a bad battery. I also had one that was doing that same thing also... the whole unit went bad on it, just try the obvious first.

Oh, sometimes you can get a new UPS cheaper then replacing the batteries...just a thought...

Some units have a self test, have you tried testing?

edit on 7/22/2012 by Shdak because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 22 2012 @ 11:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Shdak
The battery connections (Could be loose); I had one doing the same thing... It ended up being a bad battery. I also had one that was doing that same thing also... the whole unit went bad on it, just try the obvious first.

Oh, sometimes you can get a new UPS cheaper then replacing the batteries...just a thought...

If mine has a self test, I have no idea how to work it.
We have extra batteries for it, but I don't know how to put them in.
I just unplugged everything and turned it off. Now I don't have the beeping driving me to madness anymore, I couldn't stand it any longer. But thank you all VERY much for taking the time to try to help me out (stars all around).
edit on 22-7-2012 by MojaveBurning because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 22 2012 @ 11:09 PM
link   
How old is it? The UPS should have some system diagnostics and maybe the batteries inside are unable to keep a charge. About three years ago I had to replace the batteries inside my UPS... they seem to last about 5 -6 years or so. It was cheaper than buying a new UPS. If you or a friend are reasonably handy, its not difficult to do.

If this is the case, the batteries are available at places that sell replacements for home security systems etc. Good luck!

posted on Jul, 22 2012 @ 11:11 PM
link   
reply to post by surfin4it

Thank you! I have batteries around here somewhere. But I am not reasonably handy, either. No big deal. Maybe I can find a youtube video that shows me how... if I get desperately bored one day!

It's pretty old, husband has replaced the batteries once already.

posted on Jul, 22 2012 @ 11:32 PM
link   
Heh. There is probably a reset button on the side that breaks when it surges or is unplugged.

Look for a little back button, it will be like a black plastic shaft sticking out of the side.

posted on Jul, 22 2012 @ 11:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by TinkerHaus
Heh. There is probably a reset button on the side that breaks when it surges or is unplugged.

Look for a little back button, it will be like a black plastic shaft sticking out of the side.

Well dang. Wish I'd read that before I moved all the plugs! Definitely something I'll check out tomorrow since it sounds pretty straightforward. Thanks.

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 12:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by MojaveBurning

Originally posted by Shdak

If mine has a self test, I have no idea how to work it.
We have extra batteries for it, but I don't know how to put them in.
I just unplugged everything and turned it off. Now I don't have the beeping driving me to madness anymore, I couldn't stand it any longer. But thank you all VERY much for taking the time to try to help me out (stars all around).

LOL what exactly where you hoping to accomplish? Push down the lever and you get toast? No offense this was a fun post when you fixed it just by turning it off and on (reset). I am curious of why you even have one? Does your husband always handle this stuff? And again funnier still you could have googled the answer in 2 seconds, while you are at it see how to replace those batteries.

edit on 23-7-2012 by abeverage because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 12:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by benrl
sounds like it may be tripping the internal fuse for some reason. Short perhaps, make sure its plugged into a surge protector as well.

I think Ben hit it on the nose, if not use a voltmeter and see if it is dying or dead.

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 12:09 AM
link   
reply to post by abeverage

Yep, it is absolutely, 100% my husband's domain. I only put a high level of effort into learning the technical things I deem most important. For example, I once used youtube outside to learn how to use jumper cables to start my car when the battery died. That was very important, and therefore worth maximum effort. Annoying beeping, not so much. I just thought maybe this ups thing would have some super easy fix.

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 12:15 AM
link   
reply to post by MojaveBurning

Honestly, ive had PC's all my life, built them, sell them, repair them.

AND not once have I ever considered a UPS, they always seemed like a hassle, Ive always just gone with a decent surge protector and thats it.

Although I have always been in areas with great Electric service, can't remember the last time we had an outage.

So if your in a rural area, or have storms alot, the UPS makes sense, otherwise Id ditch the thing

When I first started selling computers their was a big push to sell them on fear because the mark up was so nice on them

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 12:20 AM
link   
reply to post by benrl

We get power outages quite a bit. I didn't see the point of them at first, but then it only took one time for the UPS to prove its worth to me. Gave me time to save a multi-page research paper when the power went out. After that, I never questioned my hubby's desire to have them around.

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 06:21 AM
link   
Sounds like the power inverter could be broken.

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 12:59 PM
link   

Yep, it is absolutely, 100% my husband's domain. I only put a high level of effort into learning the technical things I deem most important. For example, I once used youtube outside to learn how to use jumper cables to start my car when the battery died. That was very important, and therefore worth maximum effort. Annoying beeping, not so much. I just thought maybe this ups thing would have some super easy fix.

So is this your computer or his? Do you do digital photographs, online banking, Writing or anything else on that computer? You mentioned you have power failures in your area which is why he probably bought it. If you have that "stuff" on there do you not deem it very important?

We get power outages quite a bit. I didn't see the point of them at first, but then it only took one time for the UPS to prove its worth to me. Gave me time to save a multi-page research paper when the power went out. After that, I never questioned my hubby's desire to have them around.

Sounds like that might have been really important but was saved by that awful annoying contraption...

This is all out of curiosity of course and we would all like a super easy fix for most of our daily problems.

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 01:01 PM
link   
duplicate post

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 02:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by abeverage

So is this your computer or his? Do you do digital photographs, online banking, Writing or anything else on that computer? You mentioned you have power failures in your area which is why he probably bought it. If you have that "stuff" on there do you not deem it very important?

Sounds like that might have been really important but was saved by that awful annoying contraption...

This is all out of curiosity of course and we would all like a super easy fix for most of our daily problems.

It's actually just a spare desktop that we only use once in a while for my daughter to play on. All of our important files and banking are on both my husband's and my own laptop. I just moved the old desktop over to a different UPS. So no, not really super important. I've been wanting to get rid of the old computer anyhow.

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 04:55 PM
link   
reply to post by MojaveBurning

okie dokie this has been the silliest thread I have ever been on...

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 05:11 PM
link   

LoL, yes, I agree, and I started it! I would have locked it a long time ago if there was such a feature!

new topics

top topics

join