It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is This Proof of Real Mermaids?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 22 2012 @ 10:26 PM
link   
reply to post by sled735

Its a hoax. just google it.

posted on Jul, 22 2012 @ 11:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by azbowhunter
They prefer the term "Merperson".

Any other term is racist, ignorant and incredibly insensitive.

Agree, but do they taste fishy?

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 06:04 AM
link   
Considering the cover-up that ensued right after the show appeared it's most likely they're real. If you believe Sitchin the creators of men played around with genetics and mermaids are most likely a result of that.

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 01:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nightwalk
Considering the cover-up that ensued right after the show appeared it's most likely they're real. If you believe Sitchin the creators of men played around with genetics and mermaids are most likely a result of that.

Got to be one in every thread. Congratulations, you are that one!

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 01:18 PM
link   
reply to post by sled735

I think Mermaids fly space crafts now.
more water out there less pollution factors.

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 01:22 PM
link   
Need to write in and see if Josh Gates will go investigate for us! Go Destination Truth team!

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 01:29 PM
link   
Didnt watch the video, but if it is the one that ties in sonar testing into the whole "myth" theme, then it is a dangerous piece of film for weak minds. I'd be a little miffed if I was employed in Japan's whaling industry. I am not saying I agree with all aspects of that industry but propaganda is propaganda.

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 04:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by shaolin_dragon
Need to write in and see if Josh Gates will go investigate for us! Go Destination Truth team!

That's a good idea, shaolin_dragon! This seems like his kind of "thing".

I watched the full documentary on t.v. They did raise some pretty good questions as to whether these beings could be real. I admit the video I posted at the beginning is CG. I could tell that much, but I found the full documentary offered some real questions to consider.
I have been informed by the members here that the Discovery Channel has said this information was false.
No more to add to this thread.
Thanks to all who responded in a civil manner, and didn't slam me to the ground for inquiring about this.

Weak minds? No, my mind isn't weak by a long shot.... just open.

Now that I have my answer concerning this video, I am officially closing this thread.
Good day to all.

MODS, please do whatever needs to be done to close this thread. Thank you.
edit on 7/30/2012 by sled735 because: addition to comment

edit on 7/30/2012 by sled735 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 06:08 PM
link   
I think I saw a Fishmaid once. It's the kind of Mermaid with the fish head on the top and lady part on the bottom.
Sorry, Sled, I had to! I'm sure the Mods will deduct some ATS points from me for derailing the thread.

I always thought Sirens were a fascinating myth though. Now, I know there's some women out there that can just steer me in the wrong direction. That's the real conspiracy here!

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 06:13 PM
link   
reply to post by NarcolepticBuddha

Back at 'cha

That's okay. If you read the post above yours, you will see I already closed this thread.

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 06:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by sled735

Back at 'cha

That's okay. If you read the post above yours, you will see I already closed this thread.

Obviously the thread isn't closed if I just posted in it
I don't think the mods will actually close a thread upon request unless it violates a T&C. Nope, this thread will always be here in the ATS archives.

It's okay. I have a couple of threads I'd like to see "disappeared" and "neuralized" MIB style.

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 06:24 PM
link   
Went to the link. Checked it out. in my mind they discredited themselves the second they started talking about the "Bloop"

Personally I think the Bloop is not cryptozoological. There are plenty of other things to explain the bloop.

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 06:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by NarcolepticBuddha

Originally posted by sled735

Back at 'cha

Obviously the thread isn't closed if I just posted in it
I don't think the mods will actually close a thread upon request unless it violates a T&C. Nope, this thread will always be here in the ATS archives.

It's okay. I have a couple of threads I'd like to see "disappeared" and "neuralized" MIB style.

Well, okay.......... what I meant was, I have found the answer to my OP. I have no further need for comments.
But if you, or anyone else, has a comment to share, please do. Just please be kind. I am fragile after being slammed to the ground so many times on this thread.

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 06:31 PM
link   
It proves becoming a member on ats is way too easy. Everyone should be subject to testing.

Topics like this should not exist.

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 06:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ear-Responsible
It proves becoming a member on ats is way too easy. Everyone should be subject to testing.

Now, see what you've done, NB? You've gone and got this S*** started up again! I owe you one, Buddy!

posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 08:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ear-Responsible

Give her a break. It certainly wasn't the worst to ever grace ATS. Frankly, I'll take a silly thread over a rude member (you) any day of the week. We have a place for silly threads to go--we don't have a place to store rude comments.

And she didn't jump to conclusions on anything--she was just confused why a seemingly reputable source like Discovery was brushing on this topic. Can you blame her?--what with Discovery and History and Nat Geo talking about all kinds of irrelevant jibber-jabber these days. Can you honestly say you've never been tricked or confused before? If so, you should be out walking on water somewhere instead of muddying ATS forums.

No need to get so snippy either. That is the first example of ignorance we must deny right there. You would fail any so-called ATS member test for being unnecessarily rude.

edit on 11-8-2012 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

edit on 11-8-2012 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 02:37 PM
link   
At least the OP asked first, instead of taking it as fact straight away! I applaud them for that.

The husband and I watched this mockumentary last night, and as skeptical as we were, we didn't see any outright indication that it was fake when it started. It looked very authentic, very convincing, like a few real people came out of the shadows & spoke up about a hushed event. By the end of it, the husband was leaning towards being roped in to believing it. I was still skeptical, so we watched the encore presentation & picked it apart a little. When it was about half an hour from being finished, I had the idea to look it up in IMDB, and was very dismayed to find that the "scientists" were all ACTORS. The Rebecca girl struck me as very familiar, and it turns out I'd seen her in a clip from a movie called "Black Butterfly".

I don't appreciate being hoodwinked, and I'm sure many others don't appreciate it, either. This was designed to look authentic, and it sure fooled a whole lot of people into thinking so. They deliberately fooled people. If you aren't glued to the credits at the end, you're going to miss the disclaimer blip stating only The Bloop audio is real, so shame on them for this. That disclaimer should be front & center at the start of it, not buried at the end credits.
edit on 8/12/2012 by Nyiah because: (no reason given)

edit on 8/12/2012 by Nyiah because: typo & wrong name

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 03:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Nyiah

I almost didn't respond to your post because I don't want to bump this thread, but I must come and thank you for posting your reply.
It is good to know I'm not the only one who had questions raised about it.

Most of the responses here have made me feel like a complete idiot!
As you said, the video was convincing, and raised the question in my mind, although I really had a hard time believing it.
I didn't see the credits at the end. I thank you for bringing this to my attention.
Like you, I think it is shameful for the Discovery Channel to air something that is completely false, and make it appear as a "true documentary".

Thank you again for your reply. I don't feel quite as foolish about this now.

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 03:39 PM
link   
You shouldn't feel like an idiot. I am a fairly savvy person, and considered by some to be quite a bit brighter than a total idiot. But when I saw the show, and the way it intermingled actual information (like The Bloop) with its fiction, as well as the fact that the fiction was not labeled as such, and that it was on something other than some fringe channel....

I searched for answers on the web the next morning, but by then I had already alerted the troops (the wife and son). My son, being an imaginative 14 year old, was most upset at the hoax.

But it was a good lesson for him in how to go about discerning real from fake in this world.

Regardless, if someone is trying to make you feel stupid it is likely an ego driven response to their own duping on this topic.

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 04:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by bigfatfurrytexan
You shouldn't feel like an idiot. I am a fairly savvy person, and considered by some to be quite a bit brighter than a total idiot. But when I saw the show, and the way it intermingled actual information (like The Bloop) with its fiction, as well as the fact that the fiction was not labeled as such, and that it was on something other than some fringe channel....

I searched for answers on the web the next morning, but by then I had already alerted the troops (the wife and son). My son, being an imaginative 14 year old, was most upset at the hoax.

But it was a good lesson for him in how to go about discerning real from fake in this world.

Regardless, if someone is trying to make you feel stupid it is likely an ego driven response to their own duping on this topic.

Thank you. I appreciate your positive response.

Also, I don't think I acknowledged NarcolepticBuddha's response on here, but I did send him a U2U thanking him so I wouldn't bump the thread up the list. (I wanted it to disappear...ha!)

Thanks for all who have come to my defense regarding this. It is most appreciated, and makes me feel much better.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join