It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

China to formally garrison disputed South China Sea

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 22 2012 @ 10:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Panic2k11

Well one, China is the one that brought the US companies in. But two, China needs to be contained this time. Those islands need to be made a neutral zone, and divided so that the parts of them that are within the EEZ of a country go to that country. As it stands now, they're all trying to get it all. China has a horrible claim to them, as almost all of the islands, and resources are closer to other countries, but they're going with "might makes right" instead of trying to find another way to get access.

Yeah, I can hear the whole "gee, sound familiar?" crap starting already.

posted on Jul, 22 2012 @ 10:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Zaphod58

Read your post...........

Look , what ever China is doing in its own backyard has absolutley nothing at all to do with anybody on THIS side of the world.

Now, i know mr prez told you that China s a "bad guy" , and so is Russia , but the way i see it , Russia and China have prevented the slaughter of thousands of people in Syria by telling America to back off.
America is drunk - and making a d**k out of herself.

EDIT : my bad , you already oblitorated Libya

edit on 22-7-2012 by RockLobster because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 22 2012 @ 11:19 PM
link   
reply to post by RockLobster

It does when US allies have an interest and are requesting US assistance, such as Australia housing the Marine Brigade or the Philippines which has historically been a strong US ally.

Or would you prefer the US leave it's allies to be bullied by the big, authoritarian bully next door? Not to mention that that particular area is of great interest to any nation that trades by sea, not just in the area but globally. Allowing China to claim all of it would not only flout international treaties on such things, but sets a very dangerous precedent for other countries...

posted on Jul, 22 2012 @ 11:38 PM
link   
THe one place I'm confident in with the US military is the US Navy's substantial lead in technology, might, experience, and knowledge in the arenas they have been chartered in.

CHina's gotta know that in terms of messing with our navy it's a waste of their resources because said resources will be at the bottom of ocean after their first attempted salvo or aggressive action.

If we wanted we could literally bottle their entire fleet up in their own harbors with our unmanned drone subs that acts both as spies, roving patrols, torpedos or mines. Oh yeah and they are probably stealth too. Deploy a few of these around their harbors and their fleet ain't going nowhere. And don't underestimate our subs ability to under hull any chinese vessel for as long as we like. Navy wise we most likely have figured ways to keep chinas navy in check mate. China isn't stupid and they have got to know that they have no chance against the US navy.

Just my opinion.

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 12:33 AM
link   
reply to post by BASSPLYR

Indeed and once you throw in the rest of the Western Allies, China doesn't have a look in. US has the lead in Carrier tech/doctrine and some fantastic other surface ships, your subs ain't bad either, but add into that the UK's submarines and Destroyers, the French, Australians, Canadians etc, it's a force to be reckoned with. China would be mad to stir up that hornets nest.

And if they really want to rock the boat, we can just pull the rug out from underneath them and move our manufacturing to Africa. It's closer, easier to control and in desperate need of development.

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 01:09 AM
link   

I'm not defending China they have their own set of issues that I truly dislike but they operate at a simplistic level that I tend to admire, that is they are ideologically motivated. Even in their invasion of Tibet most of the actors truly believed that they would be improving the situation, if something can be clearly defined as a greater evil that other motivation of the US is the greater evil the the international scheme of things.

The blame is not on the US citizen (just like it is not on the chinese one), but on a the ephemeral 1% that controls the states policies. China is very old has made many mistakes but in the international scene they have a better report than any other major nation today (including the power block of Europe).

The Anglo-American coalition had a chance to bring the world to a better place, one need only look on how the English Empire worked (and most of other Colonial umpires, with the probable exception of Portugal, that never engaged actively in enforcing power and outright long term exploitation like much of the others even trough its dictatorial rule, the conflicts it got involved were mostly supported by the cold war rational and context). Much hope was placed on the US after the fight for independence and the believe that it would continue the process started in France to get the despots of the peoples back, but it all crumbled, there were lots of missing opportunities to be a shining beacon but by the time WWI took place it was already set and operating like the old boys on the table.

China has been truly materialized, exploited and abused and they do not forget it. I find it truly interesting how that hurt is most of the time represented in their cultural productions, especially movies, how propaganda has exacerbated that national view of the outside.

The situation today is that we have a single super power acting in ways that are not only detrimental to the rest of the world in objective self interest but today more than even evidently against its own population. There is no hope that this will change or be corrected, if we need a counterbalancing force China seems to be the best bet, the claims they make, territorially wise are not much different than that of other nations at most it is out of sync with the times but not unique. China has behaved even better than the Russians. Had China not been so heavily interfered it would indeed be a completely different society, but look into that nation's history and you will quickly see who to blame on how things evolved...

May main fear from the rise of Asia is that human life has less value in general, this is an intrinsic cultural issue, but mostly general to the region, there is almost no social regard for individualism. This type of thinking to me is what we should fear in the age ahead...

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 04:35 AM
link   
reply to post by RockLobster

Stumason is dead on. You can argue that we don't have any right to dictate to China that they can't lay claim to the Spratly's all you want, but the problem is two fold. One is that as he said, we have allies in the area that will request our help and that we need to assist, both by treaty, and because it's the right thing to do.

The second problem is bigger. China is attempting to lay claim to islands that it has no right to. They are nowhere near the coast of China, but are right next to the Philippines, Brunei, Vietnam, and Malaysia. If they successfully lay claim to them, then they could potentially close off the the shipping channel that is the quickest way through to several areas, which means much higher shipping costs to that part of the world.

Look at a map of the region, and explain to us how China has any possible right to lay claim to the islands.

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 05:24 AM
link   

Indeed, China are being totally unreasonable in claiming the whole Sea. If it was just all divided up equally, as per international law etc, everyone could benefit, but as with the rare earths this is about China seizing as much resources it can, after all if they control a good chunk of the worlds primary and secondary industries, then they don't have to fire a shot.

Basically, if America allows Chinese expansion to go unchecked, they get knocked off the top and personally I'd rather be in a world where at least the idea of freedom and democracy isn't met with the but of a rifle or worse. Allow China, in their current form, to take that top spot and the world will be a very different place. Some people might think this as some form of pro Anglo-American thing, and they'd probably be right, but it would be hard to convince anyone that a world dominated by China would lead to good and happy things.

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 08:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by Aloysius the Gaul
reply to post by lobotomizemecapin

The US involvement in the south china sea dispute is supporting its allies diplomatically, exactly as you would expect a good ally to do, maintaining the right of free passage in international waters, and insisting that copeting claims be settled peacably.

www.cfr.org...

Yes, it makes me feel good to deny ignorance yet again.

Deny ignorance eh? sounds to me like your swimming in it. we have no business there

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 05:33 PM
link   
reply to post by lobotomizemecapin

Yes we do. If our allies request our help, we HAVE to give it to them, within reason. Otherwise when WE need help from them, they have every right to refuse it. We're obligated by treaty to assist them.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join