It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Shooting suspect gun range membership rejected

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 22 2012 @ 05:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by muse7
I wonder how many people have died if he didn't have an AR-15

It may have been a good thing that he had the ar-15, because it jammed and he had to switch to a less powerful gun. At that close of a distance would not have needed much training to do lots of damage. Shooting at a gun range would not really have helped much, except getting used to recoil and the trigger pull (since most outdoor ranges start at 25yards and go to 100 yards (some go to 200 to 1000 yards),. The range should have reported him to the ATF in my opinion, if they saw him unfit to join he should have been unfit to fire a gun. I have been to a few ranges in the bay area and all the range officers i have meet are strict on safety and rules. They would not have let anyone fire a gun if they felt that they did not know what they were doing, and if they saw you handle it in any way that was unsafe they would tell you to leave.

Assault rifle jammed

posted on Jul, 22 2012 @ 05:59 PM
link   

reply to post by Doalrite

Really?

Is that why we've had multiple shooting rampages in the last few years?

If you want to pass out guns like they're candy then you can expect these types of incidents to become daily occurrences.

The Swiss are armed. See en.wikipedia.org... for details. In short, there about 175,000 assault and battle rifles capable of fully automatic fire and about 30,000 semi-auto SIG pistols. This is just the militia weaponry of the citizen soldiers and does not include privately owned weapons. A home invasion that might be met with a Sturmgewehr 57 battle rifle makes the invaders think twice about things.

posted on Jul, 22 2012 @ 06:00 PM
link   
I dont find it odd that he was able to wound and kill so many people without training. I mean it was opening night for Batman. The theatre was most likely at capacity so you could go in there with your eyes closed and still hit a lot of people. There isnt really anywhere to hide or dodge fire in a movie theatre.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Jul, 22 2012 @ 06:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Echotebarknwhale

An AK would have never jammed, so I also think it was a good thing that he went for the AR platform. Some will swear by them, but I have seen them jam during mag dumps where as the AK simply would not have.

posted on Jul, 22 2012 @ 06:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Echotebarknwhale

The range should have reported him to the ATF in my opinion, if they saw him unfit to join he should have been unfit to fire a gun.

And told them what? That they didn't like his voicemail message and he wouldn't call them back?

I see LOTS of people that I pray will never reproduce, but I don't call children and family services on them.

Nobody could have predicted this, and even if they had suspicions, the police cannot act on suspicion alone, and I would never want them to.

posted on Jul, 22 2012 @ 06:08 PM
link   

I wonder how many people would have died if someone would have charged the attacker to at the very least give the rest of them a chance to escape. If he was packing a AR he obviously wasn't a good shot or the body count would have been higher...so rushing a individual who cant aim would not have been too risky.

posted on Jul, 22 2012 @ 06:13 PM
link   
I say cheers all the time. Doesn't mean ****

Cheers

posted on Jul, 22 2012 @ 06:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Kastogere

That would have been great. You would think that if people get the super hero complex at odd times, this would have been the prefect place for someone to at least throw an elbow or kick him in the nads.

posted on Jul, 22 2012 @ 06:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kastogere

I wonder how many people would have died if someone would have charged the attacker to at the very least give the rest of them a chance to escape. If he was packing a AR he obviously wasn't a good shot or the body count would have been higher...so rushing a individual who cant aim would not have been too risky.

Rushing an individual apparently in body armor and a gas mask, with no peripheral vision, and a jammed gun that he was obviously unfamiliar with. Anyone near the front of that theatre could have taken this guy down and subdued him, or at the very least distracted him while the majority of people escaped.

And, from reading through links and other threads, it is possible he wasn't even wearing anything bullet proof. He might have had on a tactical vest with extra magazines and such, but it seems he may not have been in any special bullet proofing.

One person out of 300, with a handgun and/or some courage, could have made a HUGE difference. But these days people are programmed to just wait for the authorities instead of doing something themselves.

posted on Jul, 22 2012 @ 07:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Doalrite

I wonder how many people would have died if everyone was armed.

An armed society is a polite society

If you try and explain this to an anti-gun liberal, you'll be just wasting your breath. Somehow along the way they've been brainwashed into thinking that a Utopia can be created from their views.

Just as I'll never give up my rights to bear arms, they'll never give in to saying they're wrong.

I was just talking of this Friday, 20 JUL 12, with some co-workers. If there'd been people in the theater packing, the gunman wouldn't have thought twice about going in there.

posted on Jul, 22 2012 @ 07:17 PM
link   

I know what you mean. My AR 15 makes me wanna kill tons of people all the time.

edit on 22-7-2012 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 22 2012 @ 07:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by projectvxn

I know what you mean. My AR 15 makes me wanna kill tons of people all them time.

Your's too? I'm all the time having to go coax mine out of the car and lock them back in the safe. They're like a bunch of little gremlins living in my bedroom! With 270 million guns in the US, you'd think we'd all be dead by now.

posted on Jul, 22 2012 @ 07:22 PM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

Yep. And something about driving makes me wanna drink alcohol.

Also every time I hold a pencil or pen and start writing the damn things make me misspell words.

If all of these self-aware objects would just leave us alone life would be easier.

posted on Jul, 22 2012 @ 07:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Echotebarknwhale
The range should have reported him to the ATF in my opinion, if they saw him unfit to join he should have been unfit to fire a gun.

On what grounds? Being odd in that moment?
How would we be able to tell who will commit a future murder without moving into a controversial area of policing?
You are suggesting the clerk or whomever had dealt with him at the range was qualified to make that judgement.
Of course, it would have been correct in this context, and you are correct in this particular case.
They were correct in their assumptions.
But if your plan went into effect today, it would subject all people who own or want to shoot guns as future potential murder suspects.

people who are deemed 'weird', is a very abstract statement and could encompass a great deal.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join