It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Watch Large Asteroid Sail Past Earth Today

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 22 2012 @ 10:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Trillium

Originally posted by LDragonFire
With all the money NASA gets I see nothing about this on there website???

Ya that because NASA stand for
Never A Straight Answer

Nah, NASA = Nothing About Space Atall

it's all the matrix, and fiction

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 11:14 AM
link   
A little to late but thanks for the info, I did not know that site, bookmarking it. Strange that nothing was said about it in our news ...

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 11:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by pacifier2012
Is it going to 'sail' past or 'hurtle' past? There seems to be confusion in your post

Please point out where I said "hurtle".

It seems you may be the one who is confused.

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 11:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Corruption Exposed

It's 14 times Earth to moon distance away and its the size of a city block.... How are we supposed to see this?

Anyways, cool story... Hopefully everyone has their calculations right and this thing doesnt hit Earth...

edit on 23-7-2012 by jhn7537 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 11:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by Deltalabs
A little to late but thanks for the info, I did not know that site, bookmarking it. Strange that nothing was said about it in our news ...

Same here.... I guess thats what the OP meant when he wrote "to see it"....

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 11:43 AM
link   
Just another Planet PROBE
checking in on EA*

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 07:53 PM
link   

I could care less if it was the Armageddon space rock.

If they want something like a real head turner, say "Oh a comet the size of Washington, D.C. is going to pass over around 12:00 high noon, everyone be scared and stay in your homes."

Sarcastic as is may be, dumb it will for ever be.

This is my opinion

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 08:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by jhn7537

It's 14 times Earth to moon distance away and its the size of a city block.... How are we supposed to see this?
[Snippy snip]

Well as the OP gave us a link to the Space Camera in his first post, I would guess he expected we'd understand that's what we'd use to see it. It made sense to me, anyway.

Anyway, for those who missed it, I'm posting some screen shot images from the SLOOH Space Camera (that the OP linked to). While it might not look very impressive we have to bear in mind that they are trying to track a fairly fast-moving object that's no more than a mile across and 3 million miles away at its closest approach. All things considered they did a great job.

The first six pics are individual captures from the Space Camera as they were loaded by the observatory. You can see the "mission times" bottom left in each. The streaks are stars, because the camera was set up to track the asteroid, which appears to be a near-stationary dot of light. The seventh pic is one they then prepared which shows the star field fixed, so that the asteroid appears as a streak.

Finally, I've uploaded an animated gif I made which shows just the scope view from the first six pics.

Okay, here's pics 1 to 6:

Now the pic with the star field kept stationary relative to the asteroid, so it shows as a streak:

Finally, the gif. I had to shrink it to get the total size under the 500 kb image upload limit:

Hope they are of interest to some members.

Regards,

Mike
edit on 25/7/12 by JustMike because: coding fixed

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 08:33 AM
link   
Just found that SLOOH uploaded a sixty-frame time lapse on their YT channel:

Gives a much better impression. This thing was really moving along.

Mike
edit on 25/7/12 by JustMike because: darned coding...

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 09:31 AM
link   
reply to post by JustMike

Thank you for taking the time and effort to post these pics

I also appreciate that you took the time to explain what it is that we're looking at. As you said it doesn't seem very impressive but this is to be expected when viewing such a small object from a long distance.

Hopefully other members will see your post since many of them missed the show and wanted to see what it looked like.

Peace.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join