It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Watch Large Asteroid Sail Past Earth Today

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 22 2012 @ 06:32 PM
link   
Whoops never mind
edit on 22-7-2012 by Corruption Exposed because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 22 2012 @ 06:33 PM
link   
What happened? No video yet?

posted on Jul, 22 2012 @ 06:36 PM
link   
Do you have to be a member?

link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

It's live right now.

I had the youtube app towards the bottom paused earlier, but now they are streaming live and discussing how they are tracking it.

link   
not too sure what im looking at...? just a still screen with dots that i think are stars..?? is it even moving?

posted on Jul, 22 2012 @ 06:37 PM
link   
never mind, opened it in youtube

posted on Jul, 22 2012 @ 06:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Corruption Exposed

Ok, I got it finally, just had to refresh that web page.

posted on Jul, 22 2012 @ 06:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Oxygenation

What you're seeing is the individual captures from the telescope. The streaks are stars, the brightish dot near the middle is the asteroid. The reason the stars look like streaks is because the scope is tracking the asteroid, that's much closer, so the stars get "blurred" (meaning they look like streaks).

posted on Jul, 22 2012 @ 06:43 PM
link   
I scrambled there for a min trying to see the sight hoping it wouldn't be some lame small dot on a black and white screen that really didn't show anything.

My hopes were destroyed.

However good find cool to know s n f

posted on Jul, 22 2012 @ 06:51 PM
link   
They sure like to make fun of conspiracy theorists

It's actually flying away from us now.

posted on Jul, 22 2012 @ 06:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Corruption Exposed

Yeah, I like the way they consider the conspiracy theorist angle. But it's true: if anything really major were heading this way then it would be nigh on impossible to cover it up.

On the other hand, if something were to come along rather unexpectedly there could be very little time to warn people anyway.

But whatever... Great to see this one and very impressed. I mean, this thing is maximum 1 mile across and it's about 3 million miles away at closest approach. Heck of a job to latch onto it and track it so well. I got some nice screenshots.

Okay, I should get some sleep I guess. But thanks again to you for the heads up!

Mike

posted on Jul, 22 2012 @ 06:59 PM
link   
Where do these things fly to?

posted on Jul, 22 2012 @ 07:06 PM
link   
reply to post by dayve

With asteroids, they just go around in their orbits and most of them come back again eventually. The exact period of their orbits vary, but not as much as some comets. As comets can travel well beyond our immediate solar system they can have orbits (return times) of many thousands of years in some cases -- and other will never return at all. But most asteroids are believed to be from within our own solar system, so they tend to come round more often.

There are not many larger asteroids that get very close to us like this one did. (3 million miles is relatively close.)

Mike

edit on 22/7/12 by JustMike because: Revised info on orbits.

posted on Jul, 22 2012 @ 07:09 PM
link   
Ha rat it being block here at the mine

and no youtube either bumer

posted on Jul, 22 2012 @ 07:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Trillium

Just Mike said they took some screen shots so perhaps later on they can upload some for you. It was impressive but not as impressive as I hoped for. But as Mike said, they did a great job of tracking it considering how far away it was and it's size.

posted on Jul, 22 2012 @ 07:27 PM
link   
reply to post by dayve

Here is the path for this particular asteroid.

edit on 22-7-2012 by Corruption Exposed because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 22 2012 @ 07:35 PM
link   
With all the money NASA gets I see nothing about this on there website???

posted on Jul, 22 2012 @ 07:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by LDragonFire
With all the money NASA gets I see nothing about this on there website???

Ya that because NASA stand for
Never A Straight Answer

posted on Jul, 22 2012 @ 10:35 PM
link   
Aw man, this would have been pretty cool to watch and I missed it!
I haven't seen a good asteroid crossing since YU55 2005. I remember all of the people that thought they were going to die when that sucker passed, lol! Though if I remember, it was inside of the moon's orbit or something wasn't it? Almost close enough to strike the moon? Regardless, it was fun to disarm the doomsayers while watching it on the live feed as actual NASA scientists were there as well trying to do the same exact thing. (Yes, I know. Flame away because I trust REAL scientists that have nothing to hide.)

posted on Jul, 22 2012 @ 10:35 PM
link   
Is it going to 'sail' past or 'hurtle' past? There seems to be confusion in your post

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join