It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Watch Large Asteroid Sail Past Earth Today

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+9 more 
posted on Jul, 22 2012 @ 03:37 PM
link   
In a few hours an asteroid about the size of a city block will sail past earth. According to astronomers there is no risk of it hitting earth. It will pass through space 14 times further from Earth than the Moon.

Asteroid nearly a mile wide - 'the size of a city block' - will sail past Earth this Sunday

An asteroid nearly a mile wide will hurtle past Earth on Sunday July 22.

The asteroid is estimated to be 2,000 to 4,500ft wide, and qualifies as a 'near Earth object'.

NEA (near-Earth asteroid) 2002 AM31 is described as 'the size of a city block'.

Astronomers say not to panic - it will pass through space 14 times further from Earth than the Moon.

The space rock will be tracked live by cameras on Earth and in space.

Astronomy magazine's Bob Berman says, ‘Near Earth objects are no longer treasures only for the paranoid, or for those who secretly and strangely are rooting for an early apocalypse.

'The entire astronomical community has reversed its thinking about them over the past few decades. Instead of living on an ‘island Earth’ with little or no connection with other celestial objects, we now feel that collisions with comets or asteroids change the evolution of our biosphere, and maybe even seeded our world with the amino acids that started life long ago.

'In other words, these are important entities. Not to mention, there’s always that exciting little hint of danger.’

You can watch it here in just under 3 hours if you're interested. I plan on watching it myself since I have always been fascinated with near earth objects.

posted on Jul, 22 2012 @ 03:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Corruption Exposed

Thanks very much for the heads up! This kind of thing always fascinates me and if I can stay up for another 3 hours I'll be glad to catch it. (It's about 10:41 pm where I am.)

Also will bookmark that site. Looks like a good one!

Best regards and S&F for you,

Mike

posted on Jul, 22 2012 @ 03:44 PM
link   
Thank you corruption ex

An sand grain sized bit of "stuff" hit this object some millions of years ago, without that one event or something bery small we would tonight all be having an very close and personal meeting with it, not by camera lol...

Thanks for link to see it, one will hit us again and who knows when, they still don't have anything near an full map of these objects.

Think humans more likely to kill ourselves before any such event as geological time but really interested in these objects to.

Kind Regards,

Elf

posted on Jul, 22 2012 @ 03:51 PM
link   
What if it DOES hit Earth? That would suck... lol.

Am I to understand that this object will be visible to the naked eye? If so, what hemisphere?

posted on Jul, 22 2012 @ 03:51 PM
link   
Wow thanks for posting this CE! I can't wait to watch the live video footage later.. The wonders of the universe we live in brought to us by the technology of our modern age.. S+F

posted on Jul, 22 2012 @ 03:52 PM
link   
reply to post by JustMike

You're welcome

I'm lucky, it's 4:50 pm right now where I'm at so I won't have to stay up past my bed time to see it, but I would have if I were in your time zone. I hope the video footage is decent. I watched similar event on this website earlier this year or maybe late last year and it was pretty clear so hopefully we will get lucky tonight.

Peace.
edit on 22-7-2012 by Corruption Exposed because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 22 2012 @ 03:56 PM
link   
reply to post by MischeviousElf

You're welcome

You raise a good point, we are bound to get hit eventually as we have in the past but us humans will probably kill each other off first

posted on Jul, 22 2012 @ 03:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by OrphenFire
What if it DOES hit Earth? That would suck... lol.

Am I to understand that this object will be visible to the naked eye? If so, what hemisphere?

LOL that would suck!

Regrettably I'm unsure if it can be seen by the naked eye. I'm assuming not, but I could be wrong. My assumption is based on the size of the object and the distance it is supposed to pass at.

Perhaps I may be wrong.

posted on Jul, 22 2012 @ 03:59 PM
link   

Probably not. I'm gonna watch it on Slooh :p

posted on Jul, 22 2012 @ 03:59 PM
link   
reply to post by TechUnique

No problem, I'm glad to share this with my fellow ATS members

You are right, we are spoiled with our current technology. Not too long ago we would have had no way of knowing about this object let alone have access to a live video feed to view it.

posted on Jul, 22 2012 @ 05:10 PM
link   
Figured I'd bump the thread to give this more attention. 1 hr and 20 mins to go. =)

Thanks for the heads up OP.
S&f.

-alittleironic

posted on Jul, 22 2012 @ 05:48 PM
link   
reply to post by alittleironic

Only 40 minutes to go!

I hope we get a good view.

posted on Jul, 22 2012 @ 05:56 PM
link   

S & F Thank
Ok ready to go quess I'l have supper first where my Popcorn

posted on Jul, 22 2012 @ 06:18 PM
link   
10 more Minutes. =D

Mmm, popcorn, good idea.

edit on 22-7-2012 by alittleironic because: oops =)

posted on Jul, 22 2012 @ 06:20 PM
link   

I decided that as events like this are pretty rare I'm staying up regardless.

Just coming up to around 1:30 am here and only ten minutes to go now. Hoping they can get some good clear images!

Mike

posted on Jul, 22 2012 @ 06:21 PM
link   

You guys are making me hungry but I'm afraid I will miss it if I step away to make something to eat.

I hope it shows up on time because my stomach is grumbling.

I also wonder how long we will be able to view it for, I hope it's for more than just a moment but either way I won't complain, we are lucky to have the chance to see this.

posted on Jul, 22 2012 @ 06:23 PM
link   

Awesome! Thanks for the link. I happened across this thread with under 8 minutes to go. We're all gonna watch.

posted on Jul, 22 2012 @ 06:26 PM
link   

if you were sitting next to me id share some of my chocolate nutella spread on toast..

posted on Jul, 22 2012 @ 06:27 PM
link   

Probably only be visible for a minute or maybe less. But at least the weather over the Canary Islands is clear right now so the observatory should get a good view. Good news!

edit on 22/7/12 by JustMike because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 22 2012 @ 06:28 PM
link   
I clicked this just in time...

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join