Originally posted by projectvxn
reply to post by TerribleTeam2
1. I never said anything about Australians.
2. You keep harping on Americans as if you understand the culture here as it pertains to firearms.
3. Your need to attack those who disagree with YOUR assumptions is very telling of your unwillingness to at least feign understanding.
1. Fair call.
2. I'm not harping on about anything. If you look at ANY of the threads on here relating to guns, the vast majority of Americans that frequent these
boards usually respond with "You can take my guns from my cold dead hands!!!!" or something similar to that. So from what I can gather from the
information gleaned from these boards, and from the vast majority of Americans I have met in the real world, outside Internet Land, is that they,
yourself included, would only give up their firearms if it came to the end of the world, or if force was used to remove said firearms. I'll happily
apologise if proven wrong. Just going of what I have seen and heard.
3. Not sure if you know any Australians outside these boards here, but let me give you some information about us - we have a VERY sarcastic sense of
humour. If you honestly thought that was an attack on you, or your character, then you need to take a step back and look at what I said from a
different angle, or at least realise that some of the things I have said have been in a sarcastic attempt at humour. May have worked, may not have.
Not everyone has the same sense of humour, and finds the same things funny.
In all seriousness though, answer me this - At the end of the day, is it ABSOLUTELY necessary for a Civilian to own an Automatic/Semi-Automatic
Assault Rifle, regardless of the calibre of the rifle? As many people have said on here, even a .357 Magnum will make someone have a bad day, even
with body armour on.
And think of this, too. To all the people saying "well even if one person in the cinema was armed, they would have been able to stop the gunman from
shooting/killing so many people" - how many people, outside of the Military/Police Forces, have the ability, the critical thinking, and the plain old
rational thinking, to take down an armed gunman in a crowded cinema, ESPECIALLY if the reports are true that he threw smoke and stun/concussion
grenades into the room? Not very many at all. Hell, there are even some in the Military and Police Forces that freeze up when the shooting starts. The
point I'm trying to make (just so it's clear to everyone), is that if there was someone other than the Gunman in the Cinema that was armed, there is
a fairly good chance that things could have gotten uglier VERY quickly if a firefight broke out, especially in a crowded cinema with smoke going
everywhere, making visibility less than ideal.