It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Blame the shooter, not the gun

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+12 more 
posted on Jul, 22 2012 @ 03:17 PM
link   
In the wake of the movie theatre shooting in Aurora, CO there has been much talk about whether or not we should have more strict gun control laws in the United States. The idea more strict gun control laws are both ignorant and dangerous.

To blame guns on gun-related violence is ridiculous. Why not just go ahead and talk about banning alcohol? After-all, drunken drivers kill far more people every year than domestic gun violence. Why don't we ban alcohol? We don't even mention it because parts of every class of America participates in the consumption of alcohol.

The truth is, and always has been that people kill people. It isn't the gun's fault, nor the alcohol. It is the irresponsible, selfish jacka$$ that disregards the lives of others.

Perhaps, we should instead establish more stiff punishments for these crimes. Instead of locking someone up for 20 years, we should put their life to an end. We could even do it publicly. Oh, but no!!! How dare we humiliate a murderer like that! They have rights! It is pathetic the way that we bleed over the rights and feelings of those who disregard the lives of others.

When I first heard about the Aurora shootings, I read that the found him near the scene of the crime. He was obviously the shooter. He injured and killed children. His punishment should have been carried out right there in the parking lot. He should have left in a body-bag in the back of the medical examiner's van.

If not, then he should have been left alone with the families of the victims, so they could do with him as they saw fit. That would have been justice. Instead, he murdered those people in cold blood, but he is sitting in a jail cell somewhere getting three square meals, while the families of the victims try to put their lives back together.

But, instead of treating this situation as we should, we instead turn to talk of blaming guns and the lack of tighter gun-control laws. We should be punishing this person as the monster that he is, not finding a way to take away another of our Constitutional rights.

So go ahead, blame the guns, and let them scare you into giving up another freedom.

posted on Jul, 22 2012 @ 03:31 PM
link   
reply to post by lambs to lions

I'm not gonna comment on the punishment, but I agree on the Gun Control issue. I believe the issue should be decided by the people and not the Gubment. Wait a minute; didn't we make that decision when we founded this country???

posted on Jul, 22 2012 @ 03:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by lambs to lions

To blame guns on gun-related violence is ridiculous.

Taken by itself, I hope you realize just how silly that statement is.

You're right, guns have nothing to do with a bullet leaving the chamber, barrel and nozzle and then lodging itself into the target. How silly of us to think otherwise.

posted on Jul, 22 2012 @ 03:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by visualmiscreant
I believe the issue should be decided by the people and not the Gubment. Wait a minute; didn't we make that decision when we founded this country???

Yeah, that line is a bit blurred at this point don't ya think?

posted on Jul, 22 2012 @ 03:42 PM
link   
'Agree with the title.
He could have used a gallon of gasoline and one match to have done even worse.

posted on Jul, 22 2012 @ 03:44 PM
link   
I always have to laugh at the push to force gun control or abolish the 2nd amendment
when an incident like this occurred.
I feel for the families of those that were shot, is a very sad thing.
But what really pisses me off is, that things like the deaths of 100,000 people each year
seems to always go unnoticed when the Big Pharma drug companies do it to the populace.

posted on Jul, 22 2012 @ 03:49 PM
link   
My favorite pro gun control arguments i always hear: "what if a man is just breaking into your house for food cause hes hungry and you shoot him?", and "you dont need guns to protect yourself from tyranny, theres no tyranny here" lmao.

Id like to know though. Supposedly we dont need guns cause the police will save us...with guns. Huh? Why not save ourselves...

posted on Jul, 22 2012 @ 03:54 PM
link   
Makes me think of this song

I would turn on the TV but it's so embarrassing
To see all the other people I don't know what they mean
And it was magic at first when they spoke without sound
But now this world is gonna hurt you better turn that thing down
Turn it around

"It wasn't me", says the boy with the gun
"Sure I pulled the trigger but it needed to be done
Cause life's been killing me ever since it begun
You cant blame me cause I'm too young"

"You can't blame me sure the killer was my son
But I didn't teach him to pull the trigger of the gun
It's the killing on this TV screen
You cant blame me its those images he seen"

Well "You can't blame me", says the media man
Well "I wasn't the one who came up with the plan
I just point my camera at what the people want to see
Man it's a two way mirror and you cant blame me"

"You can't blame me", says the singer of the song
Or the maker of the movie which he based his life on
"It's only entertainment and as anyone can see
The smoke machines and makeup and you cant fool me"

It was you it was me it was every man
We've all got the blood on our hands
We only receive what we demand
And if we want hell then hells what well have

And I would turn on the TV
But it's so embarrassing
To see all the other people
I don't even know what they mean
And it was magic at first
But let everyone down
And now this world is gonna hurt
You better turn it around
Turn it around

This song hits home so much

posted on Jul, 22 2012 @ 04:13 PM
link   
Well...I'm sure that high powered rifle made it about 20x times easier for him to kill 12 people.

I agree though. If people want to go on a rampage they will. But why should we make it easier for them?

posted on Jul, 22 2012 @ 04:17 PM
link   
reply to post by lambs to lions

Maybe it'll take some of your family being shot and
killed like this for you to think differently.

posted on Jul, 22 2012 @ 04:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by phroziac
My favorite pro gun control arguments i always hear: "what if a man is just breaking into your house for food cause hes hungry and you shoot him?", and "you dont need guns to protect yourself from tyranny, theres no tyranny here" lmao.

Id like to know though. Supposedly we dont need guns cause the police will save us...with guns. Huh? Why not save ourselves...

According the Supreme Court of the United States, the police have no obligation to protect any individual. They are there to protect society as a whole. Gonzales vs Castle Rock.

When seconds count, the police are minutes away.

posted on Jul, 22 2012 @ 04:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Taupin Desciple

It is not silly at all. Guns are a tool, used by humans. They are capable of destruction like so many things in the hands of people, but they are just a tool. Nothing more. Gun control laws would not change the fact that gun-related crimes would continue. The only difference would be that less people would have the security option of owning a gun, and thus, have little recourse in protecting themselves from criminals who would disregard any firearm legislation.

posted on Jul, 22 2012 @ 04:24 PM
link   
reply to post by muse7

Again, the 'power' of said rifle is not the point. It may be a powerful tool, but still a tool nonetheless. The same could be said for proper training, which would have made it easier to kill so effectively. Or, lack of a security presence at the theatre. There are many variable. The common demoninator is a broken human that wanted to to harm to others. If guns were illegal, or whatever, then he would have gotten his hands on one anyway. Or, found another more disgustingly creative way to kill.

posted on Jul, 22 2012 @ 04:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Themanwithnoname

That is a disgusting thing to say. I can't believe you printed those words. Do you have a mental problem? I could refute you ignorant statement, but I will not even consider anything you say from this point forward.

posted on Jul, 22 2012 @ 04:30 PM
link   
There is an old saying that my father often recites:

"A poor workman blames his tools."

A gun is a powerful tool with the capacity to cause a lot of violence. In the wrong hands it will almost always be used for this purpose. In the hands of a sane person, it can be used to dissuade would-be attackers and neutralize real threats. I guarantee there would have been less deaths, not more, in the Aurora shooting if an audience member had a concealed carry license.

If you want to get someone to do something, logically you can either persuade them or force them. When I carry a gun, I do not do so because I am afraid, but because I do not have to be afraid. It is meant to dissuade attackers, and in doing so I effectively remove force from that equation.

I refuse to give up my second amendment just because some poor workman has convinced the sheep that it was the fault of his tools.
edit on 7/22/2012 by DarkKnight21 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 22 2012 @ 04:30 PM
link   
Once again the main culprit in the aurora shootings, virginia tech and columbine was the easy availability of guns to enable these lunatics to go on their rampage.
edit on 7/22/2012 by muse7 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 22 2012 @ 04:35 PM
link   
reply to post by muse7

Why can't you just blame the lunatics? Do you think that this violently inspired people would not get their hands on a firearm? Or, use explosives? Or, turn to arson? Or, express their rage through kidnapping and torture? Give me a break.

Don't let your fear of guns cloud your judgement. Growing up in the south, everyone I have ever known has a gun. They treat it with respect, they don't go around killing people. They do however, take pride in their ability to protect their family, and provide meat as tablefare.

posted on Jul, 22 2012 @ 04:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by muse7
Once again the main culprit in the aurora shootings, virginia tech and columbine was the easy availability of guns to enable these lunatics to go on their rampage.

BS. How about placing some of the blame on the restrictive laws that prevent people from defending themselves? All of the locations that you mention, have them. Why do you think that "these lunatics" chose those locations "to go on their rampage"?

posted on Jul, 22 2012 @ 04:40 PM
link   
reply to post by JIMC5499

Well said. The cowards don't ever go into a police station do they?

posted on Jul, 22 2012 @ 06:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by muse7

Blaming inanimate objects for the actions of sentient beings is rock solid stupid. It makes no sense.

Many rampage shooters have mental health histories. Yet, the NICS system we use for background checks does not check the mental health records of individuals trying to purchase guns. So if you're diagnosed with any form of severe psychosis, even though the NICS system asks for that info, by law that info cannot be released. Thats a hole in the system I think needs to be fixed. The other would be the use of the NICS system by individuals seeking to sell their weapons privately. Something currently not allowed.

But placing restrictions on the type of weapons one can own, the size of the magazine, or the barrel length are just misguided and erroneous attempts at addressing the periphery of these issues without actually addressing the problems. Like the lack of mental health care in this country. You want to control violence? Fix the education system, fix the economy, fix the mental health system that we've totally ignored for decades.

To go after the guns is stupid.

Please, tell me again how gun laws are followed by criminals and the mentally ill.

edit on 22-7-2012 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

edit on 22-7-2012 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join