It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Joe Paterno statue taken down at Penn State

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 22 2012 @ 02:20 PM
link   
They used forklifts to remove and place in "storage" that (in)Famous statue of "legendary" Penn State Coach Joe Paterno.

The decision was announced by Penn State president Rodney Erickson.

Erickson also stated that the "Paterno" name will remain on the university's library however.

Looks like a real image problem exists at Penn State following that searing report from former FBI director Louis J. Freeh.

The Joe Paterno statue was removed Sunday morning from its pedestal outside Beaver Stadium, and it will be stored in an unnamed "secure location," Penn State president Rodney Erickson announced. Erickson also said the Paterno name will remain on the university's library.

Shortly before dawn in State College, Pa., a work crew installed chain-link fences to barricade access to Porter Road outside Beaver Stadium and covered the fence with a blue tarp.

The work crew then removed the 7-foot, 900-pound bronze statue by forklift and placed it into the lower level of the stadium. Erickson released his highly sensitive decision to the public at 7 a.m. ET Sunday.

The source article has a video.

Paterno Statue removed

The decision came 10 days after a scathing report by former FBI director Louis J. Freeh found that Paterno, with three other top Penn State administrators, had concealed allegations of child sexual abuse made against former defensive coordinator Jerry Sandusky. The Freeh report concluded their motive was to shield the university and its football program from negative publicity.

posted on Jul, 22 2012 @ 02:27 PM
link   
Good riddance. I do not care how successful he was as a college football coach. No college sports program is worth turning your back on victims of a predatory pedophile.

posted on Jul, 22 2012 @ 02:36 PM
link   
reply to post by xuenchen

Now if only we can get our corrupt governor Tom Corbett in jail, you know the AG at the time Sandusky's behavior was first reported and it seems he just covered it up? I will say it until the day I die, "This incident goes much higher up the food chain than we will ever know!".....

posted on Jul, 22 2012 @ 02:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by groingrinder
Good riddance. I do not care how successful he was as a college football coach. No college sports program is worth turning your back on victims of a predatory pedophile.

I agree.

At least he is now known as "Paterno in the Eternal Inferno"

Although I would have rather seen Paterno convicted as well.

new topics

top topics

join