It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Proper spelling/grammar

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 22 2012 @ 11:53 AM
link   
I get where the op is coming from. Some posts throw me off, slow me down when people don't understand the difference between 'then' and 'than or they're, their, and there. Two, to and too is another set. For me it doesn't make it totally unreadable but it takes twice as long as it should to get the point.

posted on Jul, 22 2012 @ 11:56 AM
link   
reply to post by CoolerAbdullah786

I, Personally encounter several threads/posts a day written in poor English and grammer.

However, as long as they've structured their paragraphs in a reader friendly manner, its no biggie.

I appreciate we have some foreigners on here, we have some uneducated users, and we have lazy posters, and most importantly we have typos and overlooked mistakes, due to not having our own editors to proof read and correct.

I don't know the posters circumstances, so I tend not to judge. My pet hate is using my mobile internet that forever aids me in lleaving typos everywhere, and occasionally I type without my brain recognising what I'm doing and some times make mistakes like saying "there" instead of "their"... Its not that I don't know when I should be using them in the correct context, its just that my fingers have a mind of there own when my minds already 4 sentences ahead of what I'm writing.

No one ever picks on me for my typos, must be because they all know that I know my English lol.

I propose YOU must be the incompetent one, if you have encountered posts you are unable to "decode"

My Brain can pretty much decipher *any* post, no matter how terribly written in English, even when the sentences are structured completely backwards or missing key components...

Ill figure it out and fill in the blanks, are you unable to do this?

edit on 22-7-2012 by Sinny because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 22 2012 @ 12:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Sinny

So I'm "dumb" because some other people type in mangled English and I don't want to waste my time trying to figure out exactly what the hell they are trying to say?

So much for "so I tend not to judge."
edit on 22-7-2012 by CoolerAbdullah786 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 22 2012 @ 12:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sinny

I, Personally encounter several threads/posts a day written in poor English and grammer.

However, as long as they've structured their paragraphs in a reader friendly manner, its no biggie.

I appreciate we have some foreigners on here, we have some uneducated users, and we have lazy posters, and most importantly we have typos and overlooked mistakes, due to not having our own editors to proof read and correct.

I don't know the posters circumstances, so I tend not to judge. By pet hate is using my mobile internet that is forever aiding me in cleaving typos everywhere, and occasionally I type with my brain recognising what I'm doing and some times make mistakes like saying "there" instead of "their"... Its not that I don't know when I should be using them in the correct context, its just that my fingers have a mind of there own when my minds already 4 sentences ahead of what I'm writing.

No one ever picks on me for my typos, must be because they all know I know my English lol.

I propose YOU must be the *dumb* (for want of a better word) one, if you have encountered posts you are unable to "decode"

My Brain can pretty decipher *any* post, no matter how terribly written in English, even when the sentences are structured completely backwards or missing key components...

Ill figure it out and fill in the blanks, are you unable to do this?

edit on 22-7-2012 by Sinny because: (no reason given)

Then we should just scrap the English language altogether because it can all be deciphered no matter how poorly it's written, apparently, it's just a silly formality. Just spew it out willy nilly and rest assured, we'll understand, because we're just that smart.

posted on Jul, 22 2012 @ 12:16 PM
link   
It doesnt bother me at all. I tend not to write formally on here or other message boards because it is informal and I feel Im speaking with friends.. or at least acquaintances.
The uneducated or improperly educated are not necessarily "dumb" or unworthy of understanding or conversation. I am fortunate to have had a decent education and no illnesses or etc that interfere with my spelling to any huge degree. Others are not that fortunate and to me, their thoughts, opinions, and feelings are just as valid and worthy as those who are feel they are perfect.
But then again, thats just me.

posted on Jul, 22 2012 @ 12:22 PM
link   

You missed out "for want of a better word"

If your going to quote, quote in context.

I had brain freeze so didn't know what other word to use.

My above post is a good example of my mobile phone typos, off to correct those now.

posted on Jul, 22 2012 @ 12:23 PM
link   
reply to post by minkmouse

LULZ

Point me to a post that's written so badly it cannot be understood...?

edit on 22-7-2012 by Sinny because: TYPOS

posted on Jul, 22 2012 @ 12:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Sinny

Actually I saw one earlier. There were words in the sentences that weren't even real words. Seriously. I have no idea what the hell they were even attempting to talk about. I wish I could remember the thread.

But seriously some of it is just laziness. Like the instance I mentioned of people mangling the names of people. I mean seriously it only takes 5 seconds to Google someone's name.

Mainly this all comes down to pet peeves for me and that's why I ranted on the subject. Like the way some people don't seem to understand the proper format for using commas (as I mentioned in my OP).

This is not me being a grammar nazi or a grammar fascist. This is me merely promoting common sense and the most BASIC understanding of English grammar and punctuation.

I don't think it's asking that much.
edit on 22-7-2012 by CoolerAbdullah786 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 22 2012 @ 12:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sinny
reply to post by minkmouse

LULZ

Point me to a post that's written so badly it cannot be understood...?

edit on 22-7-2012 by Sinny because: TYPOS

You and I can probably muddle through it yes but it hardly seems fair to those who don't speak English as a first language!

posted on Jul, 22 2012 @ 09:09 PM
link   

No, it's not asking too much, and in fact your rant should be taken as a bit of sound advice.

I agree with you absolutely.

There are many ATSers for whom English is a second language and I wouldn't fault them at all. However, there are a lot of native English speakers here whose writing should be a lot better than it is. It's a shame to see so many intelligent ideas and observations getting muddled in bad grammar and spelling.

I really hate to be the "grammar police" and I do appreciate all the good threads here. I look past the errors and focus on the content. Some members are writing from small mobile devices that are designed more for texting than full sentences. I just hope that whenever literacy matters, they are capable of making a good impression.

I know the education system has failed, but basic writing skills are still important. Employers notice these things, even if they don't say anything directly. I've known many employers who have refused to hire or promote people with really poor writing skills. A typo here and there is no big deal, but the errors that suggest the writer doesn't actually know the right form do matter. It's hard enough finding a decent job these days without the liability of poor grammar and spelling.

No native English speaker should be spelling simple words phonetically. "There" "they're" and "their" are different words, "whose" and "who's" are not interchangable, there is an important difference between "affect" and "effect," and plurals are not made with apostrophes (though permitted in some instances, such as numbers).

Thanks for starting this thread, and permitting me to rant a bit myself.

posted on Jul, 22 2012 @ 10:22 PM
link   
Grammar and punctuation....

The difference between knowing your # and knowing you're #....

I tend to be grammatically correct, but as long as it's understandable, then there's not much point in getting all twisted about it.

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 12:01 AM
link   
I think the worst thing I do is get carried away with elipsis....

.... but I really, really like them....

...so I use them a LOT!

Not aimed at anyone, just funny and fitting of the subject:

edit on 23-7-2012 by PurpleChiten because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 07:42 AM
link   
reply to post by PurpleChiten

Love that cartoon ! It's good to keep this topic on the light side. I don't like to nitpick anyone's writing here. A good discussion of interesting topics in a friendly atmosphere is what ATS is all about, and some of the best information and insights I've read here have been from people who do make a lot of spelling and grammar errors.

I do hope, though, for their sake, that they're not making a lot of mistakes in situations where the writing is judged more critically. That would be a shame.

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 08:18 AM
link   
As long its understandable, and i see the point behind it, i don't really mind it. I abbreviate some words... like through(thru)... also depending on the discussion. If it is a critical debate regarding some information on a process, like DNA replication.. i would most likely to use my best, but if its discussion involving a movie or general chatting, then the amount of grammar drops cause i don't care at that point.

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 09:24 AM
link   
"The Chiten" has a facebook page where he has "voice recognition software" but his spelling is always jumbled due to his speech impediment caused by not having lips, having a southern twang and only being a "wittle chiten" and still learning about all this talking and stuff

not hatez me cuz i iz awesum an stuffz, i not hab no lipz so da voice rekonizin thang not pickz up gud sumtimez .... sounds silly but kids and older folks LOVE it

...it's the 19-24 year old college bunch that hates it due to being young and knowing everything and thinking they're "all grown up" now....which makes it even MORE fun

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 11:38 PM
link   
I share your pain, OP.

i have seen so many post's that are written like this where suddenly punctuation is unnecessary and sentences are pointless and the person goes on and tries to make a point but its reely hard too follow cuz there is no delineation or formatting which is vital to communicating your point clearly and succinctly when writing and especielly now in the age of online forum's youd think higher priority would be placed on makeing shure your getting you're point across as intended

Okay. Enough of the living example.

1. I don't think you have to be an uptight drag to have serious issues with bad grammar and spelling. A deficiency in this department makes it more difficult to read, interpret, and comes off as if the person doesn't give a crap. The entire premise of an online forum is discussion and communication. If people cannot get their points across clearly and concisely, chances are readers will not take the extra time to dissect or translate the post. Even the most eloquent wording can lead to misunderstanding and confusion... so showing up with a busted post is counterproductive.

2. I've come across plenty of posters who state English is not their first language, and more often than not, their comprehension and application of grammar and spelling is better than a native English speaker.

3. Biggest pet peeve: misused apostrophes! I don't know if the apostrophe was deleted from all school curriculum. But there's a big problem out there, folks. It's such a rudimentary part of grammar, that I don't understand how it could be such an enigma to many. (It's a conspriracy!!)

4. I'm all for giving people some slack, but when an entire post is a hot mess, I don't have the patience or desire to trudge through it.

(Is grammar still being taught in school? That's a serious question!)

ETA: Annnnd another thing! In this day and age it seems we are surrounded by subpar quality in all realms of existence (and getting less for more), yet many people are accepting of this and excuse it - and even defend it! I'm not sure if we have much room to lower the bar any more. What's wrong with aiming high? (and at this point, simply aiming at all)

edit on 7/25/2012 by HolographicPrincipal because: more ranting!

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join