It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

date/timestamp in new thread titles? especially Breaking Alt News.... [7/22/12]

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 22 2012 @ 10:10 AM
link   
we've all seen it- somebody makes a response to a 40 year-old thread called "The Russians Are Coming!!" and it shows up in the Recent Posts page as, well, a recent post. this can be misleading and frustrating and, although I know I can open up the thread and look at the timestamp on the OP, I don't always have high-speed, and looking at ATS on my phone can be a pain, so I'd like to put this suggestion out there. my example about the Russians was an exaggeration, but the thread that was the straw for the camel's back was one about Harper signing the NAU pact that was 6 years old but stopped my heart when i saw it on Recent Posts.
also- there's got to be some way to filter out posts- a new thread pops up and after a day can have 200 replies. half of them are worth reading but there's no way to wade through all of them to get to the meat.....i don't know how to fix that.....

thoughts?

posted on Jul, 22 2012 @ 10:32 AM
link   
reply to post by IandEye

Agree. Even when I open a thread, the date stamp is so small that I don't notice it. Any way to post a date on the thread page?

Like this:

posted on Jul, 22 2012 @ 10:38 AM
link   
I appreciate you frustration, but I think you may need to hear an alternate perspective.

Breaking Alternative(and Political) News titles and topics all comes from a source. Under the confines of this practice, the member does not have the freedom of creating a headline which may express the reason WHY it is in the "Breaking" News while being in fact "old" news.

In some case the "news" is being reviewed according to new facts, or new circumstances. In other cases the "old" news is being "questioned" or "enhanced" (either by the reporting agency or the OP).

You and other members at times get "tired" of things which others are exploring. But neither you nor I can be the arbiter of whether it has been produced within the last three days as a "current" story. It either has or hasn't.

In my time here I have upon occasion made a thread to highlight the relentless harping of some news outlets on stories that were "old" - but that was stated in the OP.

If a member simply found an old article and wanted to discuss it with us, it's not Breaking.... but if it is in the news as current... I think we need to accept that at times it can be telling of media agendas, public relations efforts, and other potentially (or at least apparent) social-engineering trends (as in - "why would the media/etc. want us to be focusing on this now, or in this way?)

But I usually do not object to these old news pieces because they are treatments of subjects that are - in fact - contemporary and current.

The real misplaced threads are almost entirely self-evident. Your point is entirely valid in those cases; but I feel those cases are exceptions rather than the rule. And reason indicates that systematic rules based upon exceptions is the point at which we tend to make mistakes.

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 11:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

that makes sense to me,but i sorta meant a stamp for the moment that the author creates the headline. but
i also understand what you're saying and I agree.
the 2nd part of my post was unnecessary and sometimes i forget what this whole site is about.
thanks hombre

new topics

top topics

join