It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Black Hole Caught Exiting Host Galaxy (IMAGE)

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 22 2012 @ 07:06 AM
link   

Image Credit: X-ray: NASA/CXC/SAO/F.Civano et al; Optical: NASA/STScI; Optical (wide field): CFHT, NASA/STScI

New observations from NASA’s Chandra X-ray Observatory suggest that a black hole is being ejected from its host galaxy at several million miles per hour.

The finding could mean that there are many giant black holes that are roaming around undetected out in the vast spaces between galaxies.

“It’s hard to believe that a supermassive black hole weighing millions of times the mass of the sun could be moved at all, let alone kicked out of a galaxy at enormous speed,” Francesca Civano of the Harvard-Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics (CfA), said in a press release. “But these new data support the idea that gravitational waves — ripples in the fabric of space first predicted by Albert Einstein but never detected directly — can exert an extremely powerful force.” redOrbit (s.tt...)

More data from the ground-based Magellan and Very Large Telescopes in Chile helped supply a spectrum that suggests the two sources in CID-42 are moving apart at a speed of at least 3 million miles per hour.

Pretty amazing article IMO. Going to look into it bit more but thought id drop in and see what everyone thinks .

Cheers

edit on 22-7-2012 by wewillnotcomply666 because: (no reason given)

edit on 22-7-2012 by wewillnotcomply666 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 22 2012 @ 07:10 AM
link   

edit on 22-7-2012 by D1Useek because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 22 2012 @ 07:15 AM
link   
seems like we are learning something new daily in the world of science.

Pretty cool

posted on Jul, 22 2012 @ 07:21 AM
link   
So for all we know we have our solar system devastated by a black hole going faster than me running for free food samples at the grocery store? Strange Universe...

posted on Jul, 22 2012 @ 07:52 AM
link   
I'm not sure what to say to this. According to wikipedia, a gravitational wave is "a small fluctuation of curved spacetime which has been separated from its source and propagates independently." Well, that seems pretty incredible to me, and I'm not surprised to read that there are people who question whether "the relativistic object possessing both of these properties may exist in nature." Regardless of that, I wonder what kind of object could have created a wave strong enough to exert that powerful an influence on a black hole. When I read this kind of stuff, I'm always tempted to dismiss it all as sci-fi, because that's what it sounds like to me...

posted on Jul, 22 2012 @ 08:30 AM
link   
Well ofcourse there are millions of blackholes in our galaxy alone. If we have a rogue black hole coming at our solar system you'd never know it until it started feeding on the largest planet it came to first. Almost enough to make you want to seek Jesus if you were a nonbeliever.

posted on Jul, 22 2012 @ 01:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by lonewolf19792000
Well ofcourse there are millions of blackholes in our galaxy alone. If we have a rogue black hole coming at our solar system you'd never know it until it started feeding on the largest planet it came to first. Almost enough to make you want to seek Jesus if you were a nonbeliever.

Maybe it wasnt gravitational waves. and im only saying this because this is ats but what if it is something else. that would be pretty scary. Why directly invade a planet that threatens you and your people when you can throw a black hole at them.

Seriously that would be scary
edit on 22/7/2012 by SpaceBoy97 because: spell check

posted on Jul, 22 2012 @ 01:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpaceBoy97

Maybe it wasnt gravitational waves. and im only saying this because this is ats but what if it is something else. that would be pretty scary. Why directly invade a planet that threatens you and your people when you can throw a black hole at them.

Seriously that would be scary
edit on 22/7/2012 by SpaceBoy97 because: spell check

I don't even think that kind of technology is possible that could control and direct a blackhole, those are forces of nature we can't even begin to grasp.

posted on Jul, 22 2012 @ 01:16 PM
link   
reply to post by lonewolf19792000

then what out there in the universe could? and this is probably lightyears away. thats probably a scientific test to try out the new technology. If it werent gravitational waves as everybody says

posted on Jul, 22 2012 @ 01:45 PM
link   

then what out there in the universe could? and this is probably lightyears away. thats probably a scientific test to try out the new technology. If it werent gravitational waves as everybody says

Rogue black holes have their own trajectory. These are the ones that have been slung out of their respective galaxies, sometimes by coming into contact with another blackhole. Just about everything else in a galaxy is caught in the gravity of that galaxy's own respective supermassive blackhole at the center.

posted on Jul, 22 2012 @ 01:51 PM
link   

Rogue black holes have their own trajectory. These are the ones that have been slung out of their respective galaxies, sometimes by coming into contact with another blackhole. Just about everything else in a galaxy is caught in the gravity of that galaxy's own respective supermassive blackhole at the center.

well apart from a black hole pushing other black holes around and gravitational waves what else could push that kind of mass around. Yahweh?

posted on Jul, 22 2012 @ 01:52 PM
link   
its only a thought but not likely. i mean we're on ats, who says we cant add a conspiracy theory to the mix of things?

posted on Jul, 22 2012 @ 02:59 PM
link   
Hi black holes fans.

What if, the "outside black hole" is in orbit around a stronger/larger one,
still at the center of the galaxy ?

That would be the result of the merging of 2 galaxies,
near the end of the process. . .
Their stars are quite "settled", but the black holes are still "apart".

Blue skies.

posted on Jul, 22 2012 @ 03:01 PM
link   
Maybe that galaxy just upgraded. No need for the recycle bin.

posted on Jul, 22 2012 @ 03:11 PM
link   

Why do you always have to bring up religion in these topics? There is no scientific proof for your Jesus, and it would not be enough for me to seek ''Jesus''. I'd have no reason to seek him. It would just be nature doing it's thing. So be it.

edit on 22-7-2012 by Taxus because: Always those damn edits again

posted on Jul, 22 2012 @ 03:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by IntoxicatingMadness
So for all we know we have our solar system devastated by a black hole going faster than me running for free food samples at the grocery store? Strange Universe...

Along with starring posts I wish we could click on a laugh button to give out laughing smilies without having to comment. Like this one for you!

posted on Jul, 22 2012 @ 04:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Taxus

Why do you always have to bring up religion in these topics? There is no scientific proof for your Jesus, and it would not be enough for me to seek ''Jesus''. I'd have no reason to seek him. It would just be nature doing it's thing. So be it.

edit on 22-7-2012 by Taxus because: Always those damn edits again

Almost enough to make you want to seek Jesus if you were a nonbeliever.

To be fair, he did say ALMOST enough........

posted on Jul, 22 2012 @ 04:18 PM
link   
reply to post by SpaceBoy97

"The two black holes then merged to form a single black hole that recoiled from gravitational waves produced by the collision, which gave the newly merged black hole a sufficiently large kick for it to eventually escape from the galaxy."

you dont need god, there's better explanations.

posted on Jul, 22 2012 @ 04:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by nonono
I'm not sure what to say to this. According to wikipedia, a gravitational wave is "a small fluctuation of curved spacetime which has been separated from its source and propagates independently." Well, that seems pretty incredible to me, and I'm not surprised to read that there are people who question whether "the relativistic object possessing both of these properties may exist in nature." Regardless of that, I wonder what kind of object could have created a wave strong enough to exert that powerful an influence on a black hole. When I read this kind of stuff, I'm always tempted to dismiss it all as sci-fi, because that's what it sounds like to me...

According to the article it was a galactic pileup.

The team used Chandra’s High Resolution Camera to show that X-rays were coming only from one of the sources. The team believes that when the two galaxies collided, the supermassive black holes in the center of each galaxy also collided.

The two black holes then merged to form a single black hole that recoiled from gravitational waves produced by the collision, which gave the newly merged black hole a sufficiently large kick for it to eventually escape from the galaxy.

I see vjr1113 beat me to it,

edit on 7/22/2012 by Pauligirl because: slow

posted on Jul, 22 2012 @ 04:55 PM
link   
reply to post by wewillnotcomply666

If my napkin math is correct it is less than half of 1% the speed of light. To put it into perspective it would take hundreds of years at that speed to reach our nearest neighboring star.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join