It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dreams of the dead

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 21 2012 @ 11:27 PM
link   
I guess my post is actually two questions....my grandmother, whom I was very, very close to growing up, died when I was 15. Her husband, (who was not my grandfather by blood, but he *was* my grandfather to me, if that makes sense), whom I was also very close to, died a little over two years later. This was over 25 years ago now, but I have had dreams about them both somewhat regularly since they died.

I understand this isn't unusual, but the dreams are always pretty similar. I'm at their home, either in the kitchen at the table or in the living room, and we're talking about things. It's always a discussion. I honestly don't know what the discussions are about. When I wake up that detail has already escaped me, but I always have a definite feeling that I was being advised...well, told, what would be the best thing for me to do in whatever point in my life I'm at at that time. How do I know if I'm doing what they've said I should do? I obviously don't, for sure, but I feel like when I do make whatever decision or direction at a given time in my life after these dreams, that I know what the right thing is. I realize that that could be coincidence and this is extremely subjective.

My questions...does anyone else have these "dreams" were deceased relatives seem to be guiding you?

Is it possible that not all "dreams" are dreams? Perhaps sometimes its how we communicate with other dimensions or planes or something?

posted on Jul, 21 2012 @ 11:33 PM
link   
My grandfather took his own life in 2001 and until my grandmother passed in 2010, I frequently dreamed of him. I think it's possible that he was still around waiting for her, but I don't know if the dreams were more than "just dreams." Some of them were pretty scary, but I think it's possible that he was around in some way and the scary dreams were just my subconscious trying to make sense of it.

I do find it strange that I haven't dreamed of either of them since the day my grandmother died, though.

posted on Jul, 21 2012 @ 11:38 PM
link   
reply to post by BobM88

I've had the fortune of not losing anyone close to me... I know one day that will change, unless I go first, because everyone dies, but I am grateful that both of my parents are alive, as well as my siblings. I've never been close to any of my grandparents. My great grandmother died in 1999, and it was sad, but I only saw her maybe once or twice a year. The only grandparent I saw regularly was my mom's mother, and we were never close. She died in 2008, and I cried at her funeral, but like I said, we were not close, even though I grew up seeing her at least three times a week.

My other grandparents are in their 80's, and I will be deeply saddened when they pass, but again, not close to them. I would like to be, but it's just not how life turned out for us.

I guess I would like to say, be thankful that you had someone that close to you. Someone who you see in your dreams.

posted on Jul, 21 2012 @ 11:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by OrphenFire
reply to post by BobM88

I guess I would like to say, be thankful that you had someone that close to you. Someone who you see in your dreams.

I am very, very grateful that I had them.

posted on Jul, 21 2012 @ 11:42 PM
link   
All dreams are intended.
There is meaning and a reason for each dream we have.
It is up to the individual to determine the message.

PLPL

posted on Jul, 21 2012 @ 11:43 PM
link   
reply to post by xrevxoltx

I'm very sorry to hear that. Do you mind me asking what the scary dreams were? I ask because I would hate to dream of either/both of my grandparents and feel frightened in it, so I'm curious what your dreams like that were. I do understand if you'd rather not share that though.

posted on Jul, 21 2012 @ 11:49 PM
link   
reply to post by BobM88

In reply to the "scary dream" thing, I did dream of my grandmother shortly after she passed in 2008, and it was scary.

The dream was that we were in her house after the funeral, but for some reason her body was in the living room, in the casket. Everyone was viewing it. Then suddenly her body began to flail, and screams were coming from her throat. Her eyes and mouth were sewn/glued shut, so she couldn't open them, yet she continued to scream and flail... I remember thinking in the dream, "Dear God, we almost buried a still living person."

I woke up with a start and my heart pounding...

posted on Jul, 21 2012 @ 11:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by BobM88
reply to post by xrevxoltx

I'm very sorry to hear that. Do you mind me asking what the scary dreams were? I ask because I would hate to dream of either/both of my grandparents and feel frightened in it, so I'm curious what your dreams like that were. I do understand if you'd rather not share that though.

He killed himself by shooting himself in the head. In my dreams, half of his head would be missing and he'd be walking around and talking like a normal person.

posted on Jul, 22 2012 @ 12:15 AM
link   
I have more dreams than anyone I have ever met. I had one recently where I spoke with my deceased father. As Minori put it, all dreams are intended, I suppose this is half correct. I am sure that some dreams must be random as sometimes, I fail to see any meaning in them. Then again I am no expert and do not see how anyone else could be either, not to discredit anyone. I have, for a few months now, been sharing my dreams with someone on this site who has been very insightful. Through this person I am able to make sense of my dreams. If you would like, I could ask this person to look into this for you. I am sorry that I do not have more to share and I hope that you one day reach the answers you seek.

As for the others responding to the OP, those are some twisted dreams and I am glad that I do not have ones resembling them. Sorry that you are having them because they would seriously creep me out.

posted on Jul, 22 2012 @ 12:17 AM
link   

Is it possible that not all "dreams" are dreams?

No question about it. There is just way too much evidence that supports it:

Originally posted by Hongkongphooey
Well let me tell you a strange story: My older brother died of cancer over 6 years ago now, it was a terrible experience for all the family and my mother was really distraught (as expected) because they were so close, working together on a daily basis.

Anyway, about 6 months after he died I had this dream that I was at this party and when I went into another room, there was my brother holding court, laughing and joking with a crowd around him, I rushed up to him and threw my arms around him, the feeling was a real hug as if I was hugging him tightly in this world (this is bringing tears to my eyes as I write this, sorry) and I say how are you and how is life on the other side (or something to that effect) and he replies 'it's Phenominal'! With that I cannot remember much after this, except that I was looking everywhere for him and he was gone! It was like he had come into my dream to let me know he was still alive (albeit on a different plane of existance) and ok!

I do not remember many dreams, but the next day I got on the phone to my mum (I live in Thailand and my Mum had retired to Spain) and I told her I had something to tell her, before I could she interuppted and said 'you'll never believe this but I just got a call from Michelle (my 1st cousin who was close to my brother and now lives in Vancouver) and she had a dream about Morris (my brother) and then went on to relate the exact same details of dream I had the night before. she was at the party, saw him she hugged him, it felt real and she asked him how were things and he just replied 'phenominal' Michelle then asked my Mum what does phenominal mean? (she did not know and it wasn't in her vocabulary) my mum explained and said that it was a word Morris used often in the last years of his life!

Obviously, I was really stunned (apparently Michelle also saw me at the party) and then told my mum that i had just had the exact same dream, which upset my mum because she did not have it and then asked why didn't he visit her and I just answered that perhaps she was not ready yet!

Fast forward another few months and my mum finally had her visit, only in her dream she saw a pile of clother on the floor and then they started to move and my brother filled in the form on the clothes, he came towards my mum with his big cheeky grin and gave her the same 'real' hug that Michelle and myself experienced. She asked how he was and he replie 'phenominal' my mum laughed and then his head rolled back and she could see the whites of his eyes rolling back, she held onto him tightly as he just faded away and she was left holding a pile of clothes! She asked me what I thought this meant and I told her that I believe the body is just a container (like clothes) and the soul/spirit is the real lifeforce and he was letting her know that we don't need those clothes in the afterlife.

My aunt saw my brother(he passed away 10 years ago)

posted on Jul, 22 2012 @ 12:27 AM
link   
reply to post by BobM88

Hello - I have studied my dreams for many years. I know that whenever my deceased Father appears in my dreams it is a dream of warning - always. It is about being very aware of all that is happening in my life and it is always about events that are to happen. My Father was not in my life for very long but I know that he visits me via my dreams to tell me to pay attention.

When a deceased loved one appears in a dream and speaks with you - it is imperative that you listen and try to focus on what is being spoken. You can practice within your dream and learn to listen. Also learn to muse on your dreams the moment you wake up. Focus on the dream as you are falling asleep and tell yourself you will hear every word perfectly and you will remember every detail. Trust me it is simply and it works. Practice every night and I swear that in a couple of weeks your skills will be stronger than they are right now.

Much Peace...

posted on Jul, 22 2012 @ 12:28 AM
link   
In 2001 my friend, just 18 years old & a year out of high school was stabbed to death at a party. Well soon after I got a memorial tattoo in his honor & i remember the weeks after his death I had a few dreams that made me wonder.

1) The first dream I remember was I was driving thru the neighborhood at 2 or 3AM & i see Steve walking down the road so i pull up and roll my window down and say "Dude! What are you doing out here at this hour? You need a ride??" He's happy to see me & gets in my truck & says "Chris, can you take me home? I'm lost, I've been wandering out here for hours" he looked so sad that I woke up feeling depressed & thoughtful.

2) The second dream I remember vividly was a dream where Steve was seated at the head of a great banquet table and all his/our friends that we grew up with & went to school with were seated at the table & we were all wearing bright white suits & we were all happy and just feasting & bullsh*ting with Steve, but we knew he passed. Steve gets up & walks up behind me & pats me on the back, but asks to see the tattoo I got in his honor. So I show him & he just shakes his head like he didnt approve & was like "Chris, I'm fine man, that was really unneccesary of you to get." Then he smiled & patted my back again & I woke up feeling trippy as hell.

I'm not a religious man & personally don't believe in an afterlife, but those dreams really made me wonder!

posted on Jul, 22 2012 @ 03:03 PM
link   
reply to post by BobM88

It is said that we only use 15% of our brains when awake, but use more while we are asleep. Several cultures also believe that dreams act as a gateway or portal between the spiritual world and physical world. You are not alone in your experiences. I have been visited by my grandmother, my uncle and other ancestors over the years in my dreams. We normally don't speak but there is often a smile, nod or other form of body language that we seem to connect through. You may want to read the other thread going on right now about increased paranormal activity. Many people who don't normally have these dreams, are reporting that their dream activity have increased in recent days.

Don't fear your dreams. Embrace it as a learning experience. Keep a dream journal so you can remember them later on.

posted on Jul, 22 2012 @ 07:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Murgatroid

Not to hijack the thread, but that's the best avatar I ever saw. Good job.

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 06:35 AM
link   
I've been meaning to start a topic about this as you did, but i'll just reply here.

On several occasions i've dreamed about one of my family members the night after their funeral. And all of the dreams i had about them, there were all telling me that they are doing fine. I even woke up in tears after having a dream about one of them. I still do see my uncle in my dreams every once in a while. He is always happy when i see him, that in a way makes me feel better but sad also cause i miss him so much.

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 06:22 AM
link   

I guess my post is actually two questions....my grandmother, whom I was very, very close to growing up, died when I was 15. Her husband, (who was not my grandfather by blood, but he *was* my grandfather to me, if that makes sense), whom I was also very close to, died a little over two years later. This was over 25 years ago now, but I have had dreams about them both somewhat regularly since they died.

I understand this isn't unusual, but the dreams are always pretty similar. I'm at their home, either in the kitchen at the table or in the living room, and we're talking about things. It's always a discussion. I honestly don't know what the discussions are about. When I wake up that detail has already escaped me, but I always have a definite feeling that I was being advised...well, told, what would be the best thing for me to do in whatever point in my life I'm at at that time. How do I know if I'm doing what they've said I should do? I obviously don't, for sure, but I feel like when I do make whatever decision or direction at a given time in my life after these dreams, that I know what the right thing is. I realize that that could be coincidence and this is extremely subjective.

My questions...does anyone else have these "dreams" were deceased relatives seem to be guiding you?

Is it possible that not all "dreams" are dreams? Perhaps sometimes its how we communicate with other dimensions or planes or something?

Definitely possible for our relatives to guide us after crossing over.
When we sleep we sometimes enter the astral plane where we receive messages from our spirit guides, visit with deceased loved ones, communicate with different teachers, etc. These types of "dreams" when we have visited with our family usually stick with us after waking, and leave a strong impression that's hard to forget.
A regular dream where our subconscious is just working out problems from the day past will sometimes not even be remembered when awakening; sometimes it will, but will be forgotten in a few hours.

My father died in the early 90's. Almost a year later I had a "dream" we met in some type of room, like a waiting room. He was sitting in a chair, and I knew he was there waiting to see me. I entered the room, and when I saw him I ran over and jumped in his lap and hugged him, and he hugged me. We just sat there hugging tightly. I told him how good it was to see him again. I was exhilarated! We had a short chat then he said he had to go. I didn't want to let go. He looked very well and happy, and appeared to be in his early 30's, the age we revert back to on the other side. I felt younger, too, but I don't know what age I was. I've met him a few more times during sleep since then. I can feel him still present in my life making things happen to help me. I know this beyond a shadow of a doubt.

I'm sure your grandparents are meeting you in the astral realm, giving you advice around the astral dining room table, and still watching over you as long as you're here. You would not continue having these "dreams", and feeling such a strong impact from them if this were not true.

Isn't it wonderful to continue to be able to visit with our loved ones when they leave this earth? Find peace in your heart that you are experiencing the "real deal".
Not everyone gets this opportunity.
You and I are two of the lucky ones.

edit on 7/25/2012 by sled735 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 01:38 PM
link   
I've had loved ones pass away and I would dream about them that night. It's strange though, it's like in my dream, the dream me or my soul knows exactly what to say and is very true to itself.

When my mother's very good friend who I considered to be family passed away from terminal cancer. The night she passed, I had a strange dream and didn't know until I got a call the next day.
Then the night after finding out she passed away, I had a dream about her. She was younger, I couldn't really see her face but I knew it was her. She was wearing a yellow polka dotted sun dress and a large white sun hat. We were standing and the entire room was filled with a white haze. She was whining, like a child would. She said that she didn't want to go, asking if she had to. I smiled at her and I said that it was time for her to go, that she couldn't stay here. I wasn't sad, it was very peaceful. I wasn't speaking english, I was speaking my native language to her and I don't usually speak anything other than english in my dreams. She finally said ok and I don't really remember much of the dream after that but I never had a dream of her again.

When I have dreams of family members who passed, I see them young and healthy but I know who they are, it's weird.

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 06:47 PM
link   
I dream of my wife all the time (passed on of cancer 5/2010) the dreams are so real its crazy. I wake up and have to get up right away and go make coffee ..come here
or what ever...in a daze somtimes (it can bum you out or not it depends what the dream is about) I guess its good. But, I just don't know.

Will they ever stop?? I don't know. But, when there (the dream) going on its like sooo, so real. She will always be the same age.

new topics

top topics

join