It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

11 cheap gifts guaranteed to impress science geeks!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+21 more 
posted on Jul, 21 2012 @ 10:50 PM
link   

11 cheap gifts guaranteed to impress science geeks!

They are all pretty cool but I would absolutely love to have these ones.

7. Miracle Berries

By themselves, Miracle berries don't taste like much. The reason to eat them is that they contain a chemical called miraculin that binds to the sweet taste receptors on your tongue, changing their shape and making them respond to sour and acidic foods.

The upshot of this effect is that some things you eat taste spectacularly different. Straight Tabasco sauce tastes like donut glaze. Guinness tastes like a chocolate malt. Goat cheese tastes like cheesecake. After about an hour of craziness, your taste buds go back to normal, no harm done.

1. Aerogel

Also known as frozen smoke, Aerogel is the world's lowest density solid, clocking in at 96% air. It's basically just a gel made from silicon, except all the liquid has been taken out and replaced with gas instead. If you hold a small piece in your hand, it's practically impossible to either see or feel, but if you poke it, it's like styrofoam.

Aerogel isn't just neat, it's useful. It supports up to 4,000 times its own weight and can apparently withstand a direct blast from two pounds of dynamite. It's also the best insulator in existence, which is why we don't have Aerogel jackets: it works so well that people were complaining about overheating on Mt. Everest.

And finally my favorite..

6. Gallium

Gallium is a silvery metal with atomic number 31. It's used in semiconductors and LEDs, but the cool thing about it is its melting point, which is only about 85 degrees Fahrenheit. If you hold a solid gallium crystal in your hand, your body heat will cause it to slowly melt into a silvery metallic puddle. Pour it into a dish, and it freezes back into a solid.

While you probably shouldn't lick your fingers after playing with it, gallium isn't toxic and won't make you crazy like mercury does. And if you get tired of it, you can melt it onto glass and make yourself a mirror.

..NERDGASM!
Source
edit on 26/10/2010 by TechUnique because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 21 2012 @ 10:57 PM
link   
reply to post by TechUnique

Great post OP....good lord if I had these berries when I was in highschool while I was drinking..yikes...awesome post

posted on Jul, 21 2012 @ 11:02 PM
link   
reply to post by chrismarco

I was thinking the same thing! All those years of youth spent binge drinking would have probably been a lot more messy!!

Perhaps even deadly

posted on Jul, 21 2012 @ 11:05 PM
link   
I'm thinking if I had some of those berries, I could lose weight in spite of my sweet tooth. It would be a dream come true to eat healthy foods that tasted like my favorite unhealthy ones. Anyone for salad that tastes like chocolate cake?

posted on Jul, 21 2012 @ 11:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Komaratzi11
I'm thinking if I had some of those berries, I could lose weight in spite of my sweet tooth. It would be a dream come true to eat healthy foods that tasted like my favorite unhealthy ones. Anyone for salad that tastes like chocolate cake?

That is a very good point I had not thought of that! If only I knew of this years ago when I was walking over 5 miles a day to shed some extra body fat.

posted on Jul, 21 2012 @ 11:15 PM
link   
I'm not sure these ideas are the ones, but thank you for giving me an idea for my son's birthday. His younger brother was happily picking out yet 2 more video games, and my 12 year old who is capable of A's was so bored of all of them, but I couldn't convince him of an art supply kit with lots of pencils/paints and an easel or a camera.

Science projects are fun. Think I should get him something an electrical kit, maybe an older camcorder and learning to do some UV and/or Full Spectrum mods, maybe a telescope kit. Just as an extra project/present.
You just opened the door on ideas that for some reason hadn't come to me when we were talking today.
edit on 21-7-2012 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 21 2012 @ 11:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Unity_99

Why don't you get him a musical instrument he's always been interested in playing? Not too academic I know but really productive, fun, therapeutic and if he sticks with it fun for life!

posted on Jul, 21 2012 @ 11:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Komaratzi11

Not quite, it makes acidic foods taste sweet, so you need to eat acidic healthy foods. I can't think of many.

posted on Jul, 21 2012 @ 11:39 PM
link   

OK, I want ALL of them!!!

posted on Jul, 21 2012 @ 11:44 PM
link   

The Radio Shack 303 electronic snap kit is pretty cool!!

posted on Jul, 21 2012 @ 11:45 PM
link   

I did that 2 years ago, got a very expensive guitar on payrments, that you can plug in, their hands weren't quite big enough for it.

This year i have a book ordered from Amazon that they seem to not be able to send, on making elecric guitars, I've seen some cool simpler ones made out of cigar boxes, so I've thought of hemp resin guitars and some really cool project, the kids can learn the wiring parts. And sort of shaman drums but with a mirophone, so they could have alternative instruments.

But thats more over time.

posted on Jul, 21 2012 @ 11:57 PM
link   

Go to Edmund Scientifics www.scientificsonline.com...
Lots of cool toys.

posted on Jul, 22 2012 @ 12:05 AM
link   
Here is another place you can get some cool stuff from, including Aerogel unitednuclear.com...

It happens to be Bob Lazar's shop.
unitednuclear.com...

Some of the other things on the OP's link are also cool, like the EcoSphere.
dvice.com...
edit on 22/7/12 by dadfortruth1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 22 2012 @ 12:14 AM
link   

I'm so buying everything you listed and maybe a couple from the linked site! Nerdgasm for sure!!! I'm so excited!!!! Thinking of melting gallium in my hands makes me giddy. I'm so strange!!!

posted on Jul, 22 2012 @ 12:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by gemineye

I'm so buying everything you listed and maybe a couple from the linked site! Nerdgasm for sure!!! I'm so excited!!!! Thinking of melting gallium in my hands makes me giddy. I'm so strange!!!

Don't worry I nearly made a mess in my trousers also.

posted on Jul, 22 2012 @ 09:06 AM
link   
Nice one, i just ordered the Miracle Berrys for most of my family

posted on Jul, 22 2012 @ 09:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by gemineye

Tell me bout it!!! I'm droooooling here!! shew, haven't felt like this since my first trip to see the pole dancers!!!

posted on Jul, 22 2012 @ 09:29 AM
link   
Aerogel has always amazed me for some reason, I want ring with some of that set into it! I could tell people I got it from a stray Sasquatch that was refueling on his way back to Agatha.

posted on Jul, 22 2012 @ 09:35 AM
link   

Love it, but where do you get aerogel for cheap? Also the 31, whatever that was called is so freaking cool I would also like to order early for Christmas!!!

posted on Jul, 22 2012 @ 09:39 AM
link   
reply to post by antar

www.buyaerogel.com...

haha, didn't think it would be that simple! MUST PURCHASE.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join