Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

Idea

page: 1

join

posted on Jul, 21 2012 @ 09:35 PM
link   
So it's pretty clear that the gun rights controversy is about to heat up again, with R. Murdoch saying today that we've just got to do something in this space to tighten regulations.

As I pointed out in another thread, if everyone in the USA stayed off the road for TWO HOURS, we would save more lives than were lost in the Batman premiere shooting spree.

I am NOT downplaying the loss of these lives. I AM encouraging rational thought -- is it worth continuing to surrender more of our freedoms because of this event?

I would def. say NO. The math makes no sense. It's clear that TPTB use these kinds of tragedies as an opportunity to push their agenda, which it seems is always gain more power over the masses. The right to bear arms exists for a reason! Most individuals already feel helpless when it comes to bringing about any change in today's world... will we not be more helpless as a society if our corporate-controlled government and police have capable weapons and we do not? Also the criminals will remain armed...

I am a progressive liberal for the most part, but it's pretty obvious the danger that could come from TPTB having nukes/riot police/advanced weaponry while the people have no such things.

How about we move to a four-day work week -- it would offer a much healthier balance for people (hence this being posted in Health & Wellness), 40/30 split between work and personal time would IMO be far better for people than 50/20 (unless you are at the top of the food chain, and that's a minority group -- just think about how much more rested we would be with 3 days off, 4 on, repeat). Think of the motor vehicle fatalities we would prevent with so many people staying home on Fridays (maybe there would be another weekend night for DUI fatalities though... nevermind that point atm :-P)... we wouldn't even need to take any rights away from people right now... we'd save 10x the lives that gun control would save by doing this! Oh, right... not a chance in hell... manufactured economy rules all, my bad...

Maybe we could even call this Thursday (the new Friday) National Research Day. We could identify some major things that need solving, and make great strides via massive group collab. in a new 2012-era. How about we

- perfect artificial heart
- cure cancer and AIDs
- adress world food shortages/desparity with new solutions
- meet some landmark nanotech goals
- etc.

Imagine the lives we could save! Or is it not really about saving lives. It's just math people...
edit on 7/21/2012 by AkumaStreak because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 21 2012 @ 09:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by AkumaStreak
Imagine the lives we could save! Or is it not really about saving lives. It's just math people...
Its all about $$$$ unfortunately. Otherwise some of your ideas may be plausible.

posted on Jul, 21 2012 @ 09:48 PM
link   
reply to post by TechUnique

Yep. In a daydreaming at night mood, I guess.

posted on Jul, 21 2012 @ 09:50 PM
link   
To be fair, "curing cancer" isn't plausible because every cancer is a different type of disease. There are too many types to simply "cure cancer", hence the reason certain cancers are reversible and others are death sentences.

new topics

top topics

join