It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Britain maimed, tortured or killed 90,000 Kenyans

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 21 2012 @ 05:21 PM
link   

BBC: Mau Mau case: UK government accepts abuse took place
(BBC.co.uk)

The British government accepts that colonial forces in Kenya tortured and abused detainees during the Mau Mau rebellion, the High Court has heard.

According to the article, the background of the case:

• The Mau Mau, a guerrilla group, began a violent campaign against white settlers in 1952
  • The uprising was put down by the British colonial government by 1960
  • The Kenya Human Rights Commission says 90,000 Kenyans were executed, tortured or maimed
  • It says 160,000 people were detained in appalling conditions
  • Kenya gained independence in 1963

They are still very, very slowly releasing the cache of 8,000 secret documents from the uprising and the violent crackdown by the British. 90,000 is a lot of souls to abuse, torture and kill, the British government is admitting that this took place (or at least "not disputing it") but that too much time has lapsed to hold a trial over it.

(also see: British Mau Mau abuse papers revealed)

posted on Jul, 21 2012 @ 05:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Blackmarketeer

The VERY ugly face of imperialism shows itself again does it?

Wait 100 years when they are releasing the information regarding the imperialists crimes in the Middle East among other places. 90K is a pitance in comparison really.

As for the topic, I'm not surprised the old mentality was always kill or detain.

~Tenth

posted on Jul, 21 2012 @ 05:27 PM
link   
Why would they admit it?

I mean im not doubting that it happened, just dont understand why they wait so long and then gradually admit fault?

posted on Jul, 21 2012 @ 05:30 PM
link   
It seems that Britain and the US, the 2 most outspoken for human rights, equality and liberty are the 2 that have also killed the most people in pursuit of these ideals.

I just can't put it together...

Peace

posted on Jul, 21 2012 @ 05:34 PM
link   
The record of the Atomic testing over pacific atolls by both the British and the US is also appalling. Entire island cultures were forcible taken from the islands just so we could nuke their homelands and leave them homeless on neighboring islands. Colonialism is a blight in the human record.

posted on Jul, 21 2012 @ 05:35 PM
link   

I'm sorry but, How long is the statute of limitations on murder again?

posted on Jul, 21 2012 @ 05:36 PM
link   
guns beat spears.

posted on Jul, 21 2012 @ 05:47 PM
link   
Governments, that claim great human rights, cannot continue to hide behind redacted documents, or obsolete archaic ideals. MANY Governments are doing this. We may never know of the many atrocities that have taken place, the details that are kept secret. If people can hunt down 96 year old Nazis, we must hold countries, and people responsible for their actions also. MHO

S&F

edit on 21-7-2012 by sonnny1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 21 2012 @ 05:49 PM
link   
Imperialist scum.

posted on Jul, 21 2012 @ 06:09 PM
link   
There is no statute of limitations on murder.

Also, all the anti-American people from the UK will love this. How does the old saying go? Do not throw stones.....

posted on Jul, 21 2012 @ 06:16 PM
link   
And this is why nobody gets along, unable to forgive what our ancestors thought was necessary. Every culture is guilty of this crime in one form or another.

posted on Jul, 22 2012 @ 01:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by Blackmarketeer
The record of the Atomic testing over pacific atolls by both the British and the US is also appalling. Entire island cultures were forcible taken from the islands just so we could nuke their homelands and leave them homeless on neighboring islands. Colonialism is a blight in the human record.

Don't forget the French nuclear testing in the Pacific.

They did a great job of it too up until 1996.

posted on Jul, 22 2012 @ 11:49 AM
link   
Can't wait for the next Poppy appeal so I can give them more money...

posted on Jul, 22 2012 @ 12:00 PM
link   
Had my troll head on for a second..

Remark retracted
edit on 22-7-2012 by EvanB because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 22 2012 @ 12:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by SearchLightsInc
Why would they admit it?

I mean im not doubting that it happened, just dont understand why they wait so long and then gradually admit fault?

Because it happened

Maybe it should have been publically admitted earlier. Biut woud you rather it was swept under the carpet?

Obviously this has nothing to do with evil colonialism - coca-cola did all that - but in protecting innocents from terrorists we did go a bit over the top.

But the past is that past. Else I'll be suing the evil imperialist Italian scum for £10bn for what they did to my ancestors and expecting everyne on ATS to support me

edit on 22-7-2012 by AndyMayhew because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 22 2012 @ 01:08 PM
link   

I remember hearing about this when I was growing up and from what I understood, the Mau Mau's were a pretty brutal bunch in their own right.

Not taking sides here, just saying.

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 05:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blackmarketeer

BBC: Mau Mau case: UK government accepts abuse took place
(BBC.co.uk)

The British government accepts that colonial forces in Kenya tortured and abused detainees during the Mau Mau rebellion, the High Court has heard.

According to the article, the background of the case:

• The Mau Mau, a guerrilla group, began a violent campaign against white settlers in 1952
  • The uprising was put down by the British colonial government by 1960
  • The Kenya Human Rights Commission says 90,000 Kenyans were executed, tortured or maimed
  • It says 160,000 people were detained in appalling conditions
  • Kenya gained independence in 1963

They are still very, very slowly releasing the cache of 8,000 secret documents from the uprising and the violent crackdown by the British. 90,000 is a lot of souls to abuse, torture and kill, the British government is admitting that this took place (or at least "not disputing it") but that too much time has lapsed to hold a trial over it.

(also see: British Mau Mau abuse papers revealed)

Maybe in another century they will admit that they caused the deaths of over 100 million people in India due to forced starvation. Or how the British used concentration camps(first time ever in history, British invented concentration camps) to conquer the peaceful Boer Republic.

Britain spent well over 200+ years raping, pillaging and committing acts of genocide across the globe that would make the Vikings blush.

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 02:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by korathin

Maybe in another century they will admit that they caused the deaths of over 100 million people in India due to forced starvation.

No, because they didn't

Or how the British used concentration camps(first time ever in history, British invented concentration camps) to conquer the peaceful Boer Republic.

No, because they didn't

(though no-one has ever questioned that we did use concentration camps during the 2nd Boer war, which, like the first, was started by the 'peaceful' Boers)

top topics

join