It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Another Police Officer Kills 911 Caller

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 21 2012 @ 05:12 PM
link   
I say another as I've posted stories like this here before. Another scathing review of our law enforcement today.

Everyone is tight lipped about the shooting with exception they did what they were trained to do. They let everyone know they caught the guy what the reason was this man called for assistance. The rest would only be presumption on the details. Everyone said the guy didn't own a gun. Hmm.
On a positive side, this could help set precedent on changing the way law enforcement interacts with the public. Most the law dogs I run across in public have something of a hostile, look-down-your-nose attitude. Thy're polite when they're your neighbors I know. I have reservations about calling in their involvement in a traffic accident. A nearby paper has an ongoing story about what a half dozen witnesses say versus a cop involving a guy walking down the street jacksonville Il police deemed needed a concussion. Several months and the cop is still on duty and the victim is still fighting resisting charges. This is like a bad joke.
Columbus Dispatch

edit on 21-7-2012 by GoldenRuled because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 21 2012 @ 05:19 PM
link   
Sounds like he was running after the guy that broke in with a gun so they shot him...

Police are there to enforce the law, not protect you.

There is a difference, if this man didn't heed the police warning, or drop the gun when he saw the cops than in their mind it was a clean shoot.

Not saying its right, just how it is...

posted on Jul, 21 2012 @ 05:25 PM
link   
They couldn't taze him? Use rubber bullets? Na, let's just kill them.

posted on Jul, 21 2012 @ 06:18 PM
link   
reply to post by PatriotAct

People would whine that the police used a tazer.

posted on Jul, 21 2012 @ 06:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by PatriotAct
They couldn't taze him? Use rubber bullets? Na, let's just kill them.

Really? So If someone is running around with a Pistol, you should taze them? Let's see...

Tazer Range: 7 Yards

Glock 17: Effective on a moving target 0-50 yards, Maximum Range 1800 yards.

When you call 911, you stay on the phone with the dispatcher, you give them your discription and your location in the house. If you're armed and single, you lock your bedroom door, barricade it if you can and find cover on the far side of the room with your firearm trained on the door, announce loudly (So the dispatcher hears) "I have a gun , and I will protect myself if you come through this door, police are on their way" If you have kids in the house, you do what you have to do to get to them and get them to your bedroom (saferoom).

Tell the dispatcher that you are going to drop your housekeys out of the window with a glowstick attatched to them once the officers have arrived. Once you've verified with dispatch that the officers are on scene, tell the dispatcher where your gun is(on the dresser, nightstand etc). Move towards your bedroom door and notify the officer of the situation and the location of the gun. Unlock the bedroom door, keep your hands in plain view & follow the directions of the officer. Until he has the scene secure, he doesn't know if you're the bad guy, if the bad guy had a gun to your head on the phone, he doesn't know anything until he see's it.

If you've had to use deadly force , the steps are pretty much the same minus the barricading. DO NOT HAVE A GUN IN YOUR HAND WHEN POLICE ARRIVE. Once the officers are on scene, give them the info for their investigation. Name / DOB / Contact Number. Politely Decline to give a statement, Then keep your mouth closed & hand them your lawyers business card and ask to go to the hospital, you've just been through a traumatic experience and you are feeling sick.

What you don't do, is run out of your house chasing the badguy with a pistol. That's how you end up killed.

edit on 21-7-2012 by EyesWideShut because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 21 2012 @ 07:34 PM
link   
reply to post by EyesWideShut

So it is your contention that police are trained to simply shoot people who are running with guns? The story said witnesses said the cop never said a word, just shot him. I could put of hundreds of videos where people were holding guns in public and the cops don't shoot them. They need to be threatend to kill.

CJ

posted on Jul, 21 2012 @ 07:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by ColoradoJens
They need to be threatend to kill.

You don't have to look too hard to find where they killed and there was no threat.

We're social beasts. Cops have used their authority against people because.....their sisters were dating somebody they didn't like so they beat down and killed the guy....or some other silly thing like that. It happens.

posted on Jul, 21 2012 @ 08:05 PM
link   
Last week... I found out that I had new neighbors 3 houses down.

My brother was outside smoking a cigarette, and one of the people living there started walking towards him.
As soon as he approached my brother he said something along the lines of this(I wasnt there this is what my bro told me)...he said..

"Hi, I just moved in and wanted to introduce myself(Lifts up shirt and exposes his police badge). "
he then said... "I am bla bla, and I AM THE NEW SHERIFF IN THE NEIGHBORHOOD"
My brother looked at him and almost fell over laughing, but the Sheriff didnt say it to be amusing.
He then said "IF ANYTHING happens in this Neighborhood, I will make sure I hear about it".
..my brother just stared at him like WTF is wrong with this guy?
He was telling this stuff to my brother like he was a supposed suspect in some terrorist plot.
He then went on telling my brother how he was part of the PW(peckerwoods).
My brother said "ok", and felt as if this guy was trying to throw his weight around
like it was going to intimidate him or something.
My brother wasnt intimidated-nor impresssed to say the least- and felt strongly this guy was just here to try and punk him.

This---- is another reason why I can not respect them. They think they are above everybody else- and think that their badge is something that gives them the power to act like punks.

...I really cant wait to meet this guy.
edit on 21-7-2012 by Common Good because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 21 2012 @ 08:13 PM
link   

So it is your contention that police are trained to simply shoot people who are running with guns? The story said witnesses said the cop never said a word, just shot him. I could put of hundreds of videos where people were holding guns in public and the cops don't shoot them. They need to be threatend to kill.

CJ

I'd like you to quote where I said that.

If you were being chased by a man with a gun, what response from the officers would be satisfactory for you?

posted on Jul, 21 2012 @ 08:41 PM
link   
I think tazers should go, cops are getting too trigger happy with these things, some people have week hearts and cant take a hit with a tazer.

If a perp has a gun in hand and refuses to co-operate, they should have the right to shoot to kill, if a perp has a knife or bat etc. they should be trained to shoot at the knee caps and disable if it's an option.
take the story of Roni Levi as an example acms.sl.nsw.gov.au...
He was mentaly disturbed, had a kitchen knife, was on a wide open beach,and the cops shot and killed him

have a look at the pics in the link, how easy would it have been to restrain this guy without killing him?

posted on Jul, 21 2012 @ 09:34 PM
link   

Really? So If someone is running around with a Pistol, you should taze them? Let's see...

In response to the poster that said they could have tased him...why would you just shoot someone dead who isn't threatening you. By your logic cops should just shoot anyone with a gun dead. CWC would argue against this one. Perhaps the cop should have said, "STOP" before he killed another man, without being threatened.

Again, the cop said nothing. He saw a man runnning with a gun (not at him) and he shot him dead - that's it.

CJ
edit on 21-7-2012 by ColoradoJens because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 21 2012 @ 10:58 PM
link   
reply to post by ColoradoJens

Again, the Cop saw a man running around with a pistol in persuit of other men.

This is pretty standard stuff.

Use of force in defense of person. A person is justified in the use of force or threat to use force against another when and to the extent that the person reasonably believes that the conduct is necessary for self-defense or the defense of another against the other person's imminent use of unlawful force. However, the person is justified in the use of force likely to cause death or serious bodily harm only if the person reasonably believes that the force is necessary to prevent imminent death or serious bodily harm to the person or another or to prevent the commission of a forcible felony.

If you saw someone chasing someone else out of a house while brandishing a pistol what would a reasonable a prudent person think the next course of action would be?

Since it's not a common occurance to see people chasing others around with pistols, one could deduce that the person being chased is probably in danger of being shot.

I'll ask you again, If you were being chased by a man with a pistol, what police response would you find acceptable?

posted on Jul, 21 2012 @ 11:07 PM
link   

Perhaps the cop could have yelled at him before killing him. The dude had never used or owned a gun in his life. He was chasing robbers from his home. All I'm saying is from the witness he didn't even know there was a cop there before he died.

CJ

posted on Jul, 21 2012 @ 11:11 PM
link   
reply to post by ColoradoJens

Let's try this for the third time. If you were being chased by a man with a pistol, what police response would you find acceptable?

from the witness he didn't even know there was a cop there before he died.

What witness?
edit on 21-7-2012 by EyesWideShut because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 22 2012 @ 08:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by Common Good
Last week... I found out that I had new neighbors 3 houses down.

My brother was outside smoking a cigarette, and one of the people living there started walking towards him.
As soon as he approached my brother he said something along the lines of this(I wasnt there this is what my bro told me)...he said..

"Hi, I just moved in and wanted to introduce myself(Lifts up shirt and exposes his police badge). "
he then said... "I am bla bla, and I AM THE NEW SHERIFF IN THE NEIGHBORHOOD"
My brother looked at him and almost fell over laughing, but the Sheriff didnt say it to be amusing.
He then said "IF ANYTHING happens in this Neighborhood, I will make sure I hear about it".
..my brother just stared at him like WTF is wrong with this guy?
He was telling this stuff to my brother like he was a supposed suspect in some terrorist plot.
He then went on telling my brother how he was part of the PW(peckerwoods).
My brother said "ok", and felt as if this guy was trying to throw his weight around
like it was going to intimidate him or something.
My brother wasnt intimidated-nor impresssed to say the least- and felt strongly this guy was just here to try and punk him.

This---- is another reason why I can not respect them. They think they are above everybody else- and think that their badge is something that gives them the power to act like punks.

...I really cant wait to meet this guy.
edit on 21-7-2012 by Common Good because: (no reason given)

This seems to be the most popular disposition for them. All an act in view of the public. Unless they are called, they have as much authority as a mall security guard in your yard. Some might think I sound biased toward the law but my older bro was a cop right out of the marine corp and I was following a college course to become 1. Some of the local law I had classes with swayed me not to. Not in what they said but how the authority played with their minds.

posted on Jul, 22 2012 @ 01:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by GoldenRuled
This is like a bad joke.

No, topics like this are a bad joke.

People like you couldn't live in a society with no law and order and you know it.

Reminds me of a joke actually.

"I saw a guy walking down the street with a T-Shirt that said F*** the cops. So I robbed him"

posted on Jul, 22 2012 @ 01:29 PM
link   

Just in adding - who is saying he was running with a gun?

Thomas was found with a gun next to his body, but police haven’t said where that gun came from or whether Thomas even had it in his hand when he was shot.

Walker and Harris wonder why, if Thomas was holding a gun when he ran from his apartment, the officer didn’t ask him to put it down. Knowing Thomas, they said, he would have immediately.

There is no evidence he had a gun in his hands.

CJ

posted on Jul, 22 2012 @ 05:55 PM
link   
I am in no way apologizing for the officers actions but come on. It does not take a genius to realize that having a gun in your hand when the police arrive is probably not a good idea. More often than not these deaths are the result of bad decisions of both parties involved. Putting rage aside, think about it.

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 04:13 AM
link   

Just in adding - who is saying he was running with a gun?

Thomas was found with a gun next to his body, but police haven’t said where that gun came from or whether Thomas even had it in his hand when he was shot.

Walker and Harris wonder why, if Thomas was holding a gun when he ran from his apartment, the officer didn’t ask him to put it down. Knowing Thomas, they said, he would have immediately.

There is no evidence he had a gun in his hands.

CJ

Columbus Police Chief Kimberley Jacobs said it’s impossible for officers to predict what a person intends to do when that person approaches with a weapon.

“We have to be able to react in instantaneous fashion,” she said.

Asked if she was concerned that Thomas might have been wrongly shot, she said it “would be concerning if someone who has no (malicious intent) toward an officer was shot.”

“But we can’t predict that, and we can’t know that when someone has a gun in their hand.”

I've seen people get knocked out of their shoes during ped vs car accidents, never once did I question if the shoes at the scene were the victims, it's all logical you see. If I have a victim with no shoes, and over here I have shoes...do I have to spell it out for you?

Do you have kids? I do... when my 4y/o comes in from the kitchen with a chocolate milk mustache, do I really have to ask him if he's consumed chocolate milk, or is it a safe bet to say he's just had a cup of brown cow?

We've established that the guy was running after people that robbed him, we've established that there was a pistol found next to his body.

If you're running and you are shot while holding a pistol, do you REALLY think you maintain positive control of that weapon in your hand? Or maybe do you think the weapon falls to the ground next to where your body is, kinda like where it was recovered at this particular scene.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that the man that was killed was a bad guy, all of the reports say he was a good kid..he just made a really stupid decision that night and it cost him his life. The officer only has the info at the time to make a split second decision, I agree with the decision made based off of the information given at that time (Guy chasing men with gun), I'm saddened it turned out the way it did. In my experience, the person with the pistol chasing others at night is the bad guy, this case it turned out different. In another case the officer could have hesitated, then it turns out he was right on his initial gut feeling and he watched a thug kill the HS Valedictorian because he waited too long to act. Then the cries are "Why'd the cop sit there and watch him die, he should have done something"

When you are running after people with a gun in your hand and officers arrive on scene, you really give them no choice....and while I've answered all of yours, you've still yet to answer the question I've asked you repeatedly 3 times now.

edit on 26-7-2012 by EyesWideShut because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 04:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Common Good

Seriously?

If that ever happened here I'd tell that idot to get the puck off my lawn and never return. Dude must not have been on the job long.....i was gonna be a cop...got my GED instead....

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join