It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Body Mass Index - Do you know yours?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 21 2012 @ 04:43 PM
link   
I was a bit upset yesterday, after my doctor told me I'm getting fat, when I've been warned not to exercise for two weeks because I had gout, and now I've been diagnosed with Epstein-Barr virus which can make one bloated.

Anyway, the body mass index (BMI) is usually used to define these things, and it's a general pointer to health or well-being, although it's not constructive to freak out instantly if it's over, but rather to accept it or work on a plan.

The BMI is calculated by your weight divided by your height or length squared (height times height).

Well this afternoon I sat with a ruler and got all the measurements wrong, and I ended up with 35, which is heading to obesity.

Over 40 is basically heading for morbid obesity.

I kept thinking about what I was going to do - join a gym, stop eating ... or just eat myself to death and finish it.

I took it in my stride, had some beers and pizza, and decided I'm officially a bear for now in gay culture, until I can start skipping again.

Now I've repeated it with help and a proper measuring tape, and it turns out I'm 26, which is one point into overweight from normality!

I mean that's one step into being overweight, but imagine the relief!

Being from SA I use body height (from toe to head) in meters and centimeters, and weight in kilograms.
This website shows what it all means:
www.southafricanspas.co.za...

Wow, I'm so happy now!

Do you know your BMI?
edit on 21-7-2012 by halfoldman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 21 2012 @ 04:47 PM
link   
it sounds like that by its standards that it is a lie, several skinny people are obese, and several fat people are anorexic.

peace.

google search:

lmgtfy.com...

one of them is bound to explain it.

peace.
edit on 21-7-2012 by SoymilkAlaska because: (no reason given)

edit on 21-7-2012 by SoymilkAlaska because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 21 2012 @ 04:48 PM
link   

BMI is equal to weight in kilograms, divided by your height in metres squared OR
BMI=kg/m2
OR
If a adults’ weight is 60kg and their height 1.68m, then-
BMI=60 / (1.68 x 1.68)
BMI=21.4

For most adults, an ideal BMI is in the range of 18.5 to 24.9. If your BMI is 25 or more, you’re over the ideal weight for your height:

25 to 29.9 is overweight
30 to 39.9 is obese
40 or more is very obese

If your BMI is less than 18.5, you're under the ideal weight for your height.

Overweight BMI

If your BMI is 25 or more, and you have been classified as overweight or obese by your healthcare practitioner, then there is an increased risk of health problems, such as:

Heart disease
Stroke
Type 2 diabetes
Some types of cancer
High blood pressure (hypertension)
Kidney disease

www.southafricanspas.co.za...

posted on Jul, 21 2012 @ 04:53 PM
link   
Far to high right now...

stoopid vacation...
edit on 21-7-2012 by benrl because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 21 2012 @ 04:54 PM
link   
may i also go on to explain why i believe calories are also a lie as well.

first: the method of calculating how many calories are in a food.

set food on fire next to container of water. how hot does the water get? = how many calories.

second: our body does not set food on fire or "burn" it to use it for nutrients.

calories are nothing but a system designed to get the same number out of the same food over and over again with consistency, regardless of how your, or several different peoples bodies handle that food.

fun fact: when you eat food, you well, to put it simply, you poop out most of it in most cases.

everybody's body is different.

peace.

posted on Jul, 21 2012 @ 04:55 PM
link   
Funnily enough I just bought one of those body analyser scales, which includes your BMI, just need to work out how the hell it works

posted on Jul, 21 2012 @ 04:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by benrl
Far to high right now...

stoopid vacation...
edit on 21-7-2012 by benrl because: (no reason given)

don't feel bad.

the number one rule you should follow if you want to lose weight or be overall more healthy is to eat natural.

this means no artificial flavors/ ingredients/ colors / chemicals.

read the ingredient labels.

do not depend on a system of numbers for your health, your body is a complicated and beautiful thing and numbers are not good enough to express what is going on inside you.

don't get on a scale, "oh no i weigh ####"

look in the mirror, and ask yourself "am i happy this way"

peace.

posted on Jul, 21 2012 @ 05:01 PM
link   
reply to post by SoymilkAlaska

Yea ive lost 10 pounds just by cutting out Soda, only change, nothing else, just cut it out.

Few months later 10 pounds gone.

Its a demon liquid...

posted on Jul, 21 2012 @ 05:04 PM
link   
reply to post by halfoldman

I'm at a 26.2 BMI according to this handy little app. That's better than I was, so I sure as hell ain't gonna worry about it.

See ya,
Milt

posted on Jul, 21 2012 @ 05:04 PM
link   

Oh no, just as I was relaxing, with a motivation to exercise, even when it's not appropriate for my current condition.

BMI is certainly not written in stone, but it could be a useful general indicator for most people that are not body-building.

www.spiked-online.com...

But then some super-fit guys are very judgmental of other guys, and one must be careful not to internalize every statement they make.

That's the feeling I get from this doctor.
He's one of these guys who cycles and runs marathons and views himself as a standard.
I've seen that come and go with fanatics.
I was always last in PT class in school, and when I see some of these guys that were super-fit back then - oh my how they changed and expanded.

posted on Jul, 21 2012 @ 05:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by benrl

Yea ive lost 10 pounds just by cutting out Soda, only change, nothing else, just cut it out.

Few months later 10 pounds gone.

Its a demon liquid...

i agree. drink fat free milk instead, it fills you up and is very refreshing.

but you MUST cut all artificial ingredients if you are to have any hope at losing weight or improving your health.

they are the demon fillers. they are added to food as unnecessary preservatives and fillers, to save money and time at the expense and the health of anyone who eats it.

it isn't right and its almost dishonest.

i mean every part of it.

the people who make it don't care that people will eat their food, full of chemicals.

the people that eat the food, don't know whats in their food and don't care.

as soon as people start reading ingredient labels, people will be healthier and dishonesty will go bankrupt.

posted on Jul, 21 2012 @ 05:19 PM
link   
I dont need some half ass calculation to tell me if i am fat or not. Its common sense, are you flabby? Then your not healthy.

posted on Jul, 21 2012 @ 05:20 PM
link   
Interesting documentary - Horizon: The Truth About Exercise:

I tried to copy with a skipping-rope what the guy does on the gym-bike, and I swear it worked, but alas, it also led to side-effects.

posted on Jul, 21 2012 @ 05:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Infi8nity

Well said, that's also an approach.

But what do you mean by "flabby"?

posted on Jul, 21 2012 @ 06:58 PM
link   
What this doesn't take into account is the difference between muscle and fat. Muscle density is 1.06 g/ml and fat density is (about) 0.9 g/ml. Thus, one liter of muscle would weigh 1.06 kg and one liter of fat would weigh 0.9 kg. In other words, muscle is about 18% denser than fat.

Take myself, for example. I'm 6 feet and 1 inch (73 inches) tall and weigh 252 pounds.

73 inches = 1.8542 meters

252 pounds = 114.305 kg

That puts my BMI at 33.2, which would be considered obese. Granted I'm not slim and trim, but I am not at all obese. I would like to lose about 20 pounds, but that still puts me in the obese category at a BMI of 30.6.

According to this calculator, my ideal weight would be 184 pounds. I haven't weighed 184 pounds since high school and honestly don't think I could get to that weight.

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 10:19 PM
link   
I put my self on a diet 10 days ago, only eating fresh fruit, and veggies locally grown(was fortunate enough to find a place that sells it very cheap compared to all other places I have been. I actually cut dairy out of my diet along with grains, though I do treat myself to some sort of dairy or grain but i keep it at once a week at most. I totally agree with cutting out the soda. I replaced milk with pure almond milk. You can make a nice chai tea drink with it too. Not only have i noticed dramatic change in the shape of my body (im obese, last i checked i weighted in at 300, and im 5'10) I also noticed a very uplifting feeling, just more happy and i feel like things seem alot clearer.

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 12:49 AM
link   
Do not fall for the Body Mass Index Calculator. Not only is it inaccurate at the best of times but will just make you feel worse about yourself. I learned this from experience. According to the calculator I am obese, but most people tell me I just look thick - not fat. Admittedly I do have a stomach and am not where I desire to be physically but to say losing another 60 lbs. is ideal for me sounds ridiculous.

If you really want to know whether you are healthy or not there are two very good ways that are simple. Take 2 minutes of your time and do it.

1. Measure your height in inches (or convert to inches) then measure your waist in inches (or convert to inches). Then just do a simple math problem with a pencil or in your head.

Waist size (divided by) Height.

Unhealthy is 0.5 or higher for those under 40 years old, 0.55 or higher for those between 41 - 50 years old, and 0.60 or higher for those over 50 years old. This measures abdominal fat which is the most unhealthy and life threatening for an individual.

2. Measure your waist in inches (or convert to inches) then measure your hips in inches (or convert to inches). Then just do a simple math problem with a pencil or in your head.

Waist size (divided by) Hip size

Unhealthy is a result of 0.90 or higher for males of all ages and 0.7 or higher for females of all ages.

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 01:51 AM
link   
Hey, I found this blog explaining BMI and why it's rubbish. Hope it helps.

Linky

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 03:54 AM
link   
reply to post by halfoldman

Yes, 20.

However, i wouldn't worry too much about it if i were you. These things are totally over stated. For example, testing on Rugby League players in the UK (amongst the very top bracket for fitness in any professional sport, globally) found many to be "clinically obese" based on their B.M.I - what a total joke!

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 04:53 AM
link   
From the outside, I look slim and healthy, but on the inside, not so much.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join