Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

Christians, can you really call yourselves, a Christian?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 09:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by wildtimes
reply to post by matthewgraybeal

There really is only one rule, however we are imperfect creatures, but we can live as Jesus had intended, with the golden rule..."Love."

That's what I keep telling people.
THE ONLY RULE IS THE GOLDEN RULE, THAT IS ALL WE NEED. And I do live as close to what Jesus intended as possible. I just don't need any "human" telling me about what it is or isn't. Because I know.
It's so simple!

That what Jesus said was the second great commandment. What was the first?

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 09:57 AM
link   
reply to post by benrl

Like I said, American Christians should be ashamed.

Most of the time i agree with you, but this time you are in the wrong. What did Christ say about brothers being angry without cause? You're directing your anger at all of us for what someone else has done. This is part of what drove me away from christianity when i was a kid, no solidarity and everyone fingerpointing at someone else. This is why we need a redeemer, because we can't stop this on our own. We break every one of Christ's laws, everyone of us and it's impossible for us to keep every one and that's why Paul basically said if you fail in even one commandment you fail them all. The reason salvation by works doesn't work, is because no one can be perfect and if you think you are, you're a hypocrit because the only perfect one is Yahweh. He's the only one who can keep his commandments, everyone else falls short. One little stray thought is enough to damn us, one little flash of anger or a harsh word and thats why Messiah had to be our Passover Lamb.

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 10:05 AM
link   
reply to post by NOTurTypical

Oh! Is today the quiz? DING! "Love God with all your heart and soul".

Do I win?

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 10:13 AM
link   
reply to post by lonewolf19792000

What did Christ say about brothers being angry without cause?

You say we are angry without a cause? I see empires beginning to crumble from the poison running in their walls, and the shadows scheming in their hidden halls. I see leaders who care more about their careers than the people they were elected to lead, who say they can fix the world but they really don't have a clue how to begin. I see a world beginning to collapse because a get-rich-quick plot has begun to take its toll, and we are the first ones to get crushed by the falling bricks.

And then we have the Christians who don't practice what they preach, for a god they don't understand, toward an end that they refuse to fight. And we are angry without cause?

No. We are angry with plenty of causes. Turn on the news, and you will have all the proof you need of what I'm saying.

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 01:34 PM
link   

Oh! Is today the quiz? DING! "Love God with all your heart and soul".

Do I win?

My apologies. Everyday is the quiz from my side. I'm perpetually on the witness stand here.. oh well, yes u got it right when you add "mind" to it.

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 07:54 PM
link   

Okay, you're right.

My bad, I was rushing, because I wanted to win....
"....with all your heart, soul, and mind."
Got it.

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 08:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by AfterInfinity

What did Christ say about brothers being angry without cause?

You say we are angry without a cause? I see empires beginning to crumble from the poison running in their walls, and the shadows scheming in their hidden halls. I see leaders who care more about their careers than the people they were elected to lead, who say they can fix the world but they really don't have a clue how to begin. I see a world beginning to collapse because a get-rich-quick plot has begun to take its toll, and we are the first ones to get crushed by the falling bricks.

And then we have the Christians who don't practice what they preach, for a god they don't understand, toward an end that they refuse to fight. And we are angry without cause?

No. We are angry with plenty of causes. Turn on the news, and you will have all the proof you need of what I'm saying.

I'm not talking about the rest of you, i'm talking about brothers being angry at eachother without cause, the rest of you are not our brothers and sisters. No one is perfect, not even us. Doesn't take a christian to fail at practicing what they preach, i see plenty of nonbelievers practicing their own brand of hypocrisy, welcome to the human condition. Again, thats why we needed a Savior, we are incapable of saving ourselves. Take a look around today, all over the world. People dying from lack of medical care and starving to death, murder, robbery, abortion, war and a host of other evil things perpetrated by the lust for profit. Not one problem on this planet do we have where greed and the lust for riches isn't at the root of it, not one.

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 09:54 AM
link   
reply to post by jhill76

10 Out of the same mouth proceedeth blessing and cursing. My brethren, these things ought not so to be. 11 Doth a fountain send forth at the same place sweet water and bitter? 12 Can the fig tree, my brethren, bear olive berries? either a vine, figs? so can no fountain both yield salt water and fresh. 13 Who is a wise man and endued with knowledge among you? let him shew out of a good conversation his works with meekness of wisdom. 14 But if ye have bitter envying and strife in your hearts, glory not, and lie not against the truth. 15 This wisdom descendeth not from above, but is earthly, sensual, devilish. 16 For where envying and strife is, there is confusion and every evil work. 17 But the wisdom that is from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, and easy to be intreated, full of mercy and good fruits, without partiality, and without hypocrisy. 18 And the fruit of righteousness is sown in peace of them that make peace.
edit on 24-7-2012 by ScatterBrain because: James 3:10-18

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 12:16 PM
link   

i'm talking about brothers being angry at eachother without cause, the rest of you are not our brothers and sisters.

Whoa, whoa, did you just separate yourself and your fellow Christians from the rest of us? You face the exact same world we do.

Again, thats why we needed a Savior, we are incapable of saving ourselves.

That's how it works when you don't even try. Determination and confidence will win half the battle before it even starts. But if you think it's not worth it, then maybe you should find another planet to live on.

Not one problem on this planet do we have where greed and the lust for riches isn't at the root of it, not one.

Sounds like a problem we started. And guess what? We can finish it if we want to. The thing is, we have people like you sticking your heads in the sand because you're convinced it's all for nothing, before you've thrown your first punch or spoken the first word of your war.

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 03:19 AM
link   
reply to post by jhill76

That's a fallacy. The Bible actually speaks quite differently from what many seem to believe, when it comes to judgment.

From this source - link - you can see many references that point out how we should judge, not that we should never judge. I will post a few verses as examples.

John 7:34 - Judge not according to the appearance, but judge righteous judgment.

Luke 7:43 - Simon answered and said, I suppose that he, to whom he forgave most. And he said unto him, Thou hast rightly judged.

Matthew 7 speaks of not judging hypocritically, not of not judging at all.

Luke 12:57 - Yea, and why even of yourselves judge ye not what is right?

There is a lot more, and anyone confused on the issue should take a look at the references provided in that link. One good online Bible resource is BibleGateway.com. You can choose your preferred translation, and it's handy if you don't have a Bible with you.

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 03:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by jhill76
reply to post by LDragonFire

How can you be sure anyone is Christian?

I go by what they openly confess as their faith, but again, it's just a label, it's not guaranteeing your spot in heaven.

It says in the bible we will know by there fruits, so many claiming to be Christian are not.

This is true. Prime example: The shooter in the news recently.
edit on 21-7-2012 by jhill76 because: (no reason given)

Which shooter, exactly? if you refer to the school shooting, there has been no mention of his religious beliefs.

reply to post by LDragonFire

Ask them what they believe. If they state that they accept Jesus as Savior, and understand that He is God, then they are probably a Christian. Keep in mind that being saved doesn't mean becoming sinless. Christians aren't perfect; we are simply forgiven. We are told that we can know people by their fruits, and with most Christians, you will see some signs that they are genuine. Acts of caring for others are a big one. Even those will make mistakes, and it isn't everything they do that shows you, but their overall person. Some, though, will be saved "as through fire", meaning even without many good works, they will still be saved, are still Christian, but are simply not living as they should. Until we pass on, or He returns, and we gain those wonderful resurrected bodies that will be free of sin, we will mess up at times. The key, though, is in who they say Jesus is. I posted elsewhere about the Trinity, and you can check that out, if interested, to see why you should trust that Jesus is God.

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 03:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by BIHOTZ
*snip*
I don't believe in the trinity. Its pagan worship. Jesus NEVER spoke of it and scripture lacks any reference to it. *snip*

Actually, there are a LOT of references to it, and some that Jesus spoke Himself. I already posted a lot of verses on that topic here - page with my post - that you can read.

Now, you can choose to believe the Bible or not, but if you do believe it, then you can see that there is ample support for the Trinity.

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 07:38 PM
link   
reply to post by jhill76

Actually the first century believers were called Christians by those around them meaning little christs. They were called this by their actions not their beliefs. In my opinion only God knows who truly the sheep are and who the goats are. So calling oneself a Christian is not biblical.

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 10:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by jhill76
reply to post by benrl

Its rather arrogant though to assume your going to "change" anyone views over a forum, and if any "change" happens it wasn't you that did it.

This is true. I wonder do the debates on here actually changes anyone's mind?

I would say that depends why they are here. For most no but for some maybe they find a word of wisdom in a thread like this.

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 10:35 PM
link   
reply to post by LadyGreenEyes

Do you realize that you are saying that believing Jesus is the son of God, is more important than loving everyone else?

Jesus did not give one command believe that I am the son of God and go to heaven.

Jesus gave this command anyone who believes in me will obey me. He said love everyone. So if the father says love everyone and someone says no but latter they decide to love, won't they be regarded as someone who did what Christ said? Didn't Christ say that none can come to him unless called by the father? The narrow path to the father is love. Christ was the physical body of that love and he is the spirit that enters us when we choose to love.

So without love I am nothing. We choose to be with love or without love. We don't have to sin, what we do have to do is repent and choose to love everyone around us both our friends and enemies. We must forgive all of the people who have sinned against us so that we may be forgiven. We must stop judging others so we can stop being judged.

What is the best way to teach a baby that fire is hot and not to be messed with? Allow their hand close enough to still be safe but to appreciate that heat of the fire. This is where we live close to the fire, but the spirit can free us from this fire if we seek love.

This is what the bible says a believer must do.

What you have been taught will leave you close to the fire your whole life. The bible says those who are born again sin no more. Have faith to believe that Christ can teach you to be free from your sin. Revelation says that those of us that endure and continue to love will be saved. We win; stop believing these people who have you believe that you have already lost. If you have already lost than what was the point for Christ sacrifice? Do you think he died merely to tell you that the afterlife is real? NO he came to teach a message that could save you today, that could change your life today.

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 10:48 PM
link   
I've often wondered why so many who claim they are christian are also extremists in politics. It's very unreasonable to me.

I've often pondered the question of "Can a republican really be a Christian" since the ideologies seem so different. The political side is so far from Christ, it would be the polar opposite, yet, every day, we see many who are extremely devoted to the political party as well as 'born again Christians' who judge others, are loud, rude, crude, totally uncouth and unfit for public display.

I'm not saying that extreme democrats are better representatives, extremism in either political form is harmful and goes against any other belief system. We cannot serve two masters or you will love one and hate the other. Instead of actually hating God, the extremely political just reinvent him to fit their image

God created man in his image, man evolved over the many years then recreated God in his image (incorrectly). The concept of God in today's "Christianity" is very much off the mark. It's not God they are worshipping, it's an idea that's been distorted and twisted and changed from who/what God really is. Terms such as hypocrit, pharisee, unintelligent, distorted and the like come to mind.

Today's "Christianity" is not Christianity. It's nowhere close. They fit the mold they have created but they don't fit the one created by God. They have distorted things to the point that they fulfill their own prophesy. THEY, today's "Christians" are the anti-Christ. They go against everything Christ taught, everything he stood for and everything he did while laying claim to his name. It's quite disturbing

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 04:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by benrl
reply to post by jhill76

The sad truth is there is no Acts church that exist now days, all hold some level of false doctrine.

Not true.

Originally posted by benrl

Which is what exactly 1 Timothy 4:1 says will happen

1 Timothy 4:1 says "some" not all.

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 04:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by kthxbai
I've often wondered why so many who claim they are christian are also extremists in politics. It's very unreasonable to me.

A true Christian has no place in politics.

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 05:22 PM
link   
reply to post by wildtimes

There is only one rule Wild, Love. Even Jesus left us with just one command, to love each other. Unfortunately many people choose not to love and hurt those around them.

Hope things turn around for you.

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 05:38 PM
link   

reply to post by matthewgraybeal

Does this help?

Yep.
In the sense that it helps me explain where you are coming from.

I agree with you entirely.

Please note that I did not come up in a "Fire&Brimstone" sect, though, I was brought up Episcopalian. And it was my own assessment of the things I was expected to repeat in somber, humble tones, on my knees, with my head bowed and my hands clasped in prayer...contrite admission, in unison with the entire congregation....that we had "transgressed and were not so worthy so much as to pick up the crumbs," recited from memory every single Sunday....
I was a little girl, a good little girl, too....but every Sunday I had to repeat this same thing, over and over and over....

strangely, not much else really impacted me. All the miracles and fables and stories and the resurrection -- never bought into it. But that message, that I wasn't worthy so much as to pick up crumbs REALLY poked at me (and it was sharp).

Lots of people can't understand how I got that message, though
They're all surprised like "really? nono, the message is love." Yeah, well, I wasn't praying "Thanks for loving me", I was praying "I didn't do what I was supposed to do, and I did what I wasn't supposed to do, and I am unworthy" ('miserable sinners', all of us).

How can adults expect sensitive, intelligent children to respond to this? My mom (who also has since left the church) was shocked to hear that's what I "took away" from church. She saw it as loving benevolence "despite" human imperfection. And that's fine for an adult, or an older kid who is prepared for it. But a sensitive 4-5 year old girl isn't an adult or an older kid.

This is why I think it's wrong to indoctrinate little kids. Let them look into faith and spirituality when it occurs to them to do so, and let them choose which tradition they can relate to. Informed consent. Not forced confessions of unknown crimes. "You've screwed up again!, still!, but I'm not going to tell you what you did or didn't do wrong, only that you screwed up and you should starve". What the hell kind of "feedback" or "constructive criticism" or "review" is that???

Hope that makes sense.

Come to think of it, that's probably why I later in life became furious on the only TWO occasions that I got "written up" at work (both times instigated by vindictive "mean girl" coworkers with hidden agendas)

AND that's probably a major source of my problem with church-going or pious newly born-again faithful...that they're still trying to feed me that crap, and that they actually think it's a message of kindness and love. No. It's a condemnation of others that you have no right to impose. Look to your own house. Mine is in order.
edit on 22-7-2012 by wildtimes because: (no reason given)

I could not agree with you more. They teach children that we are failures and that we are made imperfect and that they simply cannot overcome this. Wow I am so glad I never told my child this. They say this and follow it up that is why Jesus died to save you from the sins you haven’t even committed, but somehow knowing full well you will commit sin.

The bible says we will all sin, and live with sin. But it also says that we can overcome, that we can choose to follow Christ by listening to him. If we repent from all the times we did things that were selfish and unloving and submit ourselves to love the spirit of love will come to us and help us.

We should be teaching our children to look out for sin, to make sure that their actions aren't interfering with the happiness of others. We should be teaching them that although they may make mistakes all they need to do is make sure to ask forgiveness from the one they hurt, with sincerity and a repentant heart. We need to teach them that love is the only answer and that God gave us the ability to choose the righteous path and that he himself would be there to help us down the road to righteousness so that we might be found worthy on the day of judgment. Instead of lifting our kids up and making them believe that they can win, we send them away already defeated.

Wild I will never give up on you, although I know that your mind has been severely poised by the people who were supposed to teach you about Grace, love, and the ability to overcome. Revelation is not about hell and torture it's about victory. We are God's children and love wins.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join