It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is the Colorado Death Penalty used?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 21 2012 @ 01:37 PM
link   
(I chose this forum because ultimately, this decision would seem to be a purely political one. The statistics below would seem to make it more political than it would be elsewhere, in fact. )

I got the idea to look up just how the Death Penalty has been used and applied in Colorado and I'm a bit confused here. I know Colorado isn't somehow special or unique in not experiencing Capital type crimes and Denver alone is a dangerous place. It must produce plenty of "business" for Capital type cases in the local legal community. Can someone explain the numbers then?

This list represents Colorado's past executions. Skip to the end for the relevant point, but the list is interesting for anyone curious about how the DP has been used historically too.

Colorado Execution History

(I went to the effort of finding that link because I couldn't believe the first two sets of numbers I'd located.)

The first here at Wiki:

1 Execution in Colorado since 1977

...and this one from the Death Penalty Information Center:

4 Inmates on Colorado Death Row as of April, 2012

Is Colorado simply adverse to ever sentencing people to Death? How does that relate to how the shooter here might he handled? It would appear that Death is by old age in Colorado in a way few other states that maintain a Death Row can say. Is there some major aspect the stats are missing or is this actually the case?

Perhaps life without parole and with some provision to prevent hiding in segregation for life would be far more punishment than Death under Colorado's system. Thoughts anyone?

posted on Jul, 21 2012 @ 01:45 PM
link   
Death in prison is alot worse than the cold needle.

I cant imagine being confined for the rest of my life.

"The Panther

In the Jardin des Plantes, Paris
His gaze those bars keep passing is so misted
with tiredness, it can take in nothing more.
He feels as though a thousand bars existed,
and no more world beyond them before.

Those supply-powerful paddings, turning there
in the tiniest of circles, well might be
the dance of forces round a center where
some mighty will stands paralyticly.

Just now and then the pupil's noiseless shutter
is lifted.— Then an image will indart,
down through the limbs' intensive stillness flutter,
and end its being in the heart.

J. B. Leishman "

posted on Jul, 21 2012 @ 01:55 PM
link   
This would seem to be a decision the District Attorney's office will have to make in the near term. In terms of the real issue they have, I wonder which way it may go? In Texas or other states, I'd have no conflict myself. In this one? Well, if there is no chance he'll get the sentence, then the extra 10's of millions to put him through that end of the system seems an additional level of victimizing the system itself. He'd be smart enough to appreciate that twist too, I'm sure. I'd hate to think that anything goes the way he wants it to.

new topics

join